Fun Publications reapplies for BotCon Trademark, not Hasbro

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Knightsword, Jun 16, 2018.

1. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Yeah I think it's a case of Bob says" I hate this" Jane says "I love this" the Bob says "I still hate it" and Tony says "you just said you loved it"

If you get my meaning. The complaint of one becomes the complaint of all in the mind of a third party. Who neglects to remember that we don't all think the same :)  not an insult to anyone but rather an observation of behavior.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Meh, rather see someone else take a crack at Botcon. Someone else that actually gives a damn about the TF brand and its fans, and not driven purely by a desire for profit.

• Like Like x 4
  3. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    4) In case #3, Hasbro will have to pay FunPub to get the name back or pay royalty every time Hasbro use the name.

4. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with the convention. But I do have a huge problem with the exclusive toys that are only for the super rich collectors. Nobody should be alienated because of their financial misfortune. Take me for example, tons of medical problems that prevent me from ever escaping poverty. And tons of Botcon exclusives I have 0% chance of ever owning. I think it would be better to keep things on a level playing field. I was super happy when Botcon exclusives ended & I hope they never return.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Personally I'd like to hear what the Hartmans have to say about where Botcon should go, who should run it, etc...
    They created it. Certainly it should have their blessing wherever it goes.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a shame this didn't happen last weekend, we could've asked them. :lol 

I dunno, did Pete allude to anything in his panel? I need to watch your video. I'd swear I remember him saying something like "...Botcon... wherever that goes..." And in hindsight I wonder if he knew this was in the works.

7. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Part me want's to say that might have had something to do with the choice to apply for the trademark but I'm really hoping they will use it to put together a new Botcon, albeit unofficially backed by Hasbro, instead of just trademarking it just to sit on the name.

8. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    Yeah, I threw up the TFCon name because it's the first one that came to mind. They are big enough they don't NEED the name...but I could see someone like Dairycon or even RoboToyFest...heck, just a regular fan who wants to put on a robot themed 'con trying for the name if they found out it was abandoned.

I just think anyone pinning their hopes on a FP hype train may want to prepare for a let down.

9. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think this is gonna amount to anything in terms of Transformers.

10. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Agreed !

BOTCON MIAMI !!! (Bots, Beer, and Booty)

I went to the Disney Botcon in Orlando 2010. It was cool and all, but its time to take it to da house !

Also why is this news not front paged? Surely the speculated return of Funpub's Botcon is bigger news than Primal in Australia.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RodimusSupreme

RodimusSupreme Banned

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I almost wonder if Hasbro asked FunPub to file for the trademark because there might be a possibility that HasCon is just not gonna work and they want to keep that convention in their back pocket, so to speak.
    Most people were hoping for a FunPub-less BotCon, that's why.
    Maketoys, baby! :lol 
    I wonder if Hasbro could take FunPub to court to get the BotCon name, if my idea above isn't the reason.
    Well, to keep the name, they'd have to use the name for a convention in the next five years.
    It was front-paged, but it said that Hasbro filed the patent, not FunPub. When it was pointed out that FunPub filed it, the article was pulled, I assume, because it's just assumed that they are trying to keep the name.

12. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Got it. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. hightail

hightail Banned

Facebook:
    FP still has that pretender shell mold boss studios made, so they could always pump out some more pretender variants.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  14. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 生死有命,富貴在天

News Credits:
    Didn’t he say last year something to the effect of “I have no plans at present, but you never know what the future holds.”?

15. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Hasbro has never had the rights to the name "BotCon."

They have the rights to do a Transformers convention, and aren't letting anyone else have that license (up to now?), but that's a separate thing from the rights to the name
    "BotCon."

16. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    Interesting indeed. As a fan of the botcon and TFCC figures, I'd been keen to see it come back with a vengeance.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Same, I love the exclusives. Been going through a withdrawal the last two years. However I finally took the time and money to start tracking down the more rare and expensive ones.

• Like Like x 2
  18. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Do you smell that?

Ebay:
    I've been doing the same! Managed to secure quite a few grails in the last 12 months at non-ridicous prices. Still a few escaping my grasp like unit-3 and pyro.

I blame POTP having such a short run, it has seen me start scouring the interwebs for illusive and expensive figures.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I wonder if we'll hear anything about this over at San Diego Comic Con...

I love the notion of the exclusives, but I hated how they were all excruciatingly pricey...

If they could revisit the exclusives but ditch the horrifying prices, that'd be super. (Assuming this will go anywhere in the near future.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The lack of exclusives has been both rewarding, and lame.
    Rewarding because I have back tracked so much, gotten interested in prototypes, and even other toy lines.
    Lame because I have had almost no "new" TFs intake. I haven't been into retail stuff for a few years now, but even less so with all of the ridiculous gimmicks. I'm sure I'll end up selling my Volcanicus and only being left with Primal once he comes out.
    TR I only kept the figures that had a spot in MTMTE/Lost Light. CW, I think I only have Defensor, g2 Menasor, and the OP that I stuck the Beelzeboss kit on. At least with FunPub around I was getting an additional 20+ figures a year than what I'm buying now lol