FT dibots+, anyone?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by malware5, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chromed out toy robots that turn into dinosaurs look great. They certainly catch the eye. But when I see stuff like the above pics my inner child screams "Wow! Those are the Dinobots from the show!!!!"

I was actually really bummed out when I saw the toys as a kid compared to the show. And they were my favorite characters.

Wish that FT or Giga would repaint them in toon colors. Best I have are the small MFT KO toon versions of the DX9 Dinobots.

IMG_20190820_103430.jpg

IMG_20190730_155507.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

FT is leaving a lot of $$$ on the table, IMO. Strictly from a business standpoint, if nothing else.

A set of Toon Accurate set of their Dibots would outsell every single figure they've made to date. I don't need to know the "ins" or "outs" of the 3P world to make that assumption.

Would it suck for those that want new stuff? Yeah. Are repaints a common thing when it comes to toys, specially TF's? Yes. I don't understand how people still are somehow surprised when it happens, the sense of entitlement is over 9000. FT does not owe anyone anything. They'll thrive regardless because you all buy anyway.

I'd personally love it if they do it (sold my dinos a long time ago). They'd be a definitive purchase if they lose some of the overused, unnecessary detail and use the toon colors. Zero hesitation purchase right there.

Hell, I can actually see Official only people drooping $250 on each of these. It is simply the easiest money FT will make. Are you reading this, @dalianjj ? This set would easily outsell all the Blurrs/Astrotrains/Blitzwings you are planning on making, easily. Please make it happen.

3. CowboyFromHell

CowboyFromHell Shake 'N Bake

That's some hefty speculation. A $1000+USD set wouldn't have a huge amount of buyers in my humble opinion. Also I doubt it would be only $1000, probably closer to $1500 by now. Again, in my humble opinion. Considering the majority of hardcore collectors already found a way to buy the set, what's left are people who don't want to pay after market prices, and those are even less likely to plop out $1000-$1500 in one shot for a set. And "self entitlement"? I don't see it here on this thread, it's all opinions about who wants what. Not who feels they are owed anything

• Like Like x 1
  4. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    "Figures I want would outsell everything else". ROFL.

At this point, anyone into Dinobots have gotten theirs. The official only people will also NEVER jump in. No, this will not outsell anything.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed with the LOL’s on the first sentence. We see it a lot with folks declaiming that random character “x” from a background panel on page 36 of some issue of the Marvel Comics is going to be a surefire hit.
    On the flip side, I can see the FT Dinos selling well in a toon coloured release.
    Because it’s toon and it’s FansToys and it’s dinobots - three things that seem to all sell really well.
    They certainly won’t “outsell everything” but pretty much everything that FT releases does sell out eventually. This would most likely be the same.
    And we see that same argument (everyone already has these) constantly with Seekers, yet MT have still managed to do pretty well with theirs.
    Toon Dinos would sell. How well they would sell is speculation and it really comes down to “will they sell enough to make it worth while”? They’d be cheaper to produce than new figures because moulding and design is already done so that’s a plus. They’re a set of five, which potentially multiplied your sales by five so that’s a plus. But being a set of five is also a big commitment and if the first couple don’t sell well here’s a risk of backlash if they stop halfway through, so that’s a minus. They do take up a slot in the schedule which is a downer. But they should be pretty much “press the button and go” to produce so they’re potentially a less stressful release than a new figure. Also it’s another set of five, equivalent to a Combiner, but one that’s not moving them forward in completing characters and is instead circling back to hit up something old and “done”. Plus, with any release like this, they’re competing with themselves, not with anyone else, so that’s a tricky thing to weigh up.

Basically? It’s a hell of a complex calculation to make and one that only FT has all the info to make. I’d love it to happen but can totally understand why it might not.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

I'm sure everyone at this point has a MP Prime of some sort by now. Same with Starscream, or even Soundwave.

Watch MP-44 be reissued 3 times. People will always want the latest version of something, specially if its iconic characters.

7. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    The Seekers I would argue are different. The MP-11 has always been somewhat of a lesser mould. Also the release date was sometime ago. The price for Thundercracker and Skywarp was also prohibitive. Also let's not overestimate the success of MT Seekers. They've never been reissued.

FT's Dinos have been issued multiple times. In order for this to be something that would outsell everything else, you have to have 20K people rebuy these things. Ain't gonna happen. At the very least you can count me out. "Well you can sell them to someone else". To whom? After all the theory is EVERYONE wants in on the toon, so now you have 1K worth of Dinos that you can't move.

And as I said, the official only people will NEVER jump in. In their opinion, no third party can ever beat the Tampoed Faction Symbol tech. Add on top of that the Long Life Design Logo Tech.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CowboyFromHell

CowboyFromHell Shake 'N Bake

Seekers is a different situation altogether. I'm dying to get a new updated version. The MP is old and not great by today's standards. It's not a reissue/repaint issue like this thread is discussing. Apples and oranges really

9. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    The theory is wrong. Almost everyone knows that. Not everyone wants these. We know not everyone wants these.
    BUT...
    Not everyone needs to want these. A segment of the audience sufficient to justify a new run from FT is all that is needed to want these. Maybe that’s 500 people maybe that’s 1000 people. Maybe that’s 5000. We don’t know how many FT needs to sell. We also don’t know how many people want to buy.
    It’s all just speculation.

10. divinecomedy

News Credits:
    You are losing the original context. The original context is "set of their Dibots would outsell every single figure they've made to date." That can't happen with 500 to 1000 people.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Nope. I already responded to that in both of my previous posts stating that it's a bogus statement. Everyone apart from the guy who posted it knows that's its hyperbolic BS and that, no, yet another re-release of FT's Dibots in yet another colour scheme will not be their biggest seller ever. That's crap and WE ALL agree that it's crap.

What I am stating is that, putting that silly statement aside, there is potential for yet another re-release of F's Dibots in yet another colour scheme to sell well enough for it to be a valid decision for FT to produce it. Given what niche stuff get's produced, how many competing versions of character's we have etc, it would be crazy to simply rule it out and say "Nah, no-one will buy it." Because that would also be BS.
    Folks will buy it. I'll buy it. The guy who's deluded himself into thinking it will be FT's biggest seller will buy it. Multiple other people from this thread will buy it. Numerous collectors who already own previous versions will sell those and buy these, just as they have done with other releases.
    What we don't know if whether the number of folks willing to buy it is as large or larger than the minimum run that FT can produce to make it worthwhile. All we can do is speculate. My speculation is that yes, there are enough people willing to buy it. You obviously feel that no, there aren't enough. We won't ever really know which argument is correct unless FT decides to proceed.

I guess my point was that, while the previous poster was being hyperbolic in stating that it will outsell everything, you were also being a little hyperbolic. You said "No, this will not outsell anything." That's hyperbole too. For all we know, it could potentially outsell Tesla or Lupus. I can almost guarantee that FT would sell more toon Dibots than they sold FT-01 (trailers for MP-10). Maybe it could outsell PF Caesium as well? Maybe it could outsell the metallic Phoenix re-release, or the second version of Quietus.
    And given we are talking a set of five vs single individual figures, maybe it could outsell quite a few of FT's previous individual releases.
    All a bit of fun though. This place is founded on hyperbole, nitpicking and back-&-forth wrangling.

But if they do decide to do this, it's unlikely to happen soon because they're already stuck midway through releasing two "sets-of-five" with their combiners and are unlikely to add another set in the Dibots.

12. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

After seeing the reveal of the Sovereign Movie colored rerelease edition, and the fan frenzy in the aftermath, maybe this will help convince FT to make toon colored Dibots. They could even rerelease their insecticons with 'even-more' toon colors. (grey instead of black, white instead of chrome and silver)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Oh man. You just had to suggest that didn’t you? Now I need to consider replacing my Insecticons. Damn you!!!:p 
    In all seriousness I probably would replace my FT bugs with a properly toon painted version. And to think that would probably be an even better prospect for FT than a Dino reissue. The bugs sold out and have been going for outrageous prices for a LONG time. Loads of people missed it and are keen to get the bugs. A re-release is almost guaranteed at some stage and doing some or all in a more toon deco is a definite possibility.
    IMO Insecticons actually look amazing in thick glossy paint and a toon accurate white instead of chrome. I would love to see FansToys set all tricked out like that.
    014C32B3-7D8A-4391-8B51-E590B8E7A754.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. 18inchcombiner

18inchcombiner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why can't anyone make MP dinos with the cartoon accurate yellow gold look?

15. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Yes of course and with new head sculpts and proportions to match the toon colors. And more articulation perhaps?

16. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator!

... because you never go full toon... neva.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even though I’m not interested in buying plus versions of these figures. You make a good argument. I can see FansToys doing something like this at some point. I’m sure some people would be interested. I’m personally holding out hope Takara will at some point. Until then I’m happy with my regular FT Dinobots.