FT-03 Quakewave. Is it time for a new figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by PANTSMAN1973, Sep 16, 2019.

?

If Fans Toys released an updated Masterpiece style Shockwave, what would you do?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Stick with my FT-03 Quakewave

19 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Stick with my MP 29 Lazerwave

27 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I would buy an updated FT version

28 vote(s)
    31.1%
  4. I don't have any versions of a Masterpiece style Shockwave

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. I don't care one way or the other!

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Have both wave and blast. Prefer blast.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FansToys seems barely capable of keeping up with their current slate of development these days. You actually want them to start redoing their older figures on top of that?

3. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Quakewave never did anything for me, too boxy and lifeless in its design. Thought takara's was bland and awkward looking too.

In the same situation with Shockwave as I am with Hotrod. Just no one has gotten him right yet. So yes I'd absolutely love to see FT tackle him again as they've already redone Slag and Seaspray so they're hardly above retreads. Even their Soundwave is a tad redundant due to takara's having stood the test of time well but I much prefer the look of theirs in that case so yay for me having skipped takara's all this time.

With Shockwave all I want is the animation design with some silver where the off white is, solid metallic chest, a nice dark pale purple and the properly massive chunk he's suppose to have in his torso and legs. Shockwave had big feet but Takara's has little boney baby toes and they look so damn awful and while it may seem silly remains the number 1 reason I've never felt a need to buy that toy.

FT's has more overall mass but just wrong proportions, wrong shapes, wrong color. It never was Shockwave to me. A well made figure that upped standards for 3p toys but was emblematic of FT's origins as a maker of soulless "meat n potatoes" mp designs at the time and not one of proper well sculpted mps brimming with style like they do today.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

But I'm sure even if they could do a nice V2 it would probably piss a lot of people off given how many characters they haven't done at all, and I would admittedly prefer they stick to that too.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  4. darkace

darkace Well-Known Member

I have 7 quakewaves 3 of the original and one each of the others.

5. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    Good enough for me to be both Habsro and Marvel versions.

6. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

That's a lot... how come so many?

And.. can I have one? :D 

7. darkace

darkace Well-Known Member

bought 2 of the original used and decided I needed a sealed one and then I have at least one of everything FT has put out.

8. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’ve said from the start that Quakewave is rubbish. I get shouted down every time by folks whose rose-coloured glasses and nostalgia for one of the first 3P Masterpieces won’t let them see the weaknesses in the sculpt. From the waist down, the figure is super generic - could be any bot. The articulation and sculpting is awkward and aside from the head and chest, really nothing screams Shockwave about it.
    Other figures get torn to shreds for the slightest deviation from the characters design but Quakewave is always given a pass by his devoted fans, and it really comes down to nostalgia. If we saw that sculpt for the first time today? It would be laughed off the stage as a clumsy and inaccurate design. Quakewave is just as far off-model as the V1 Spindrift is.

Quakeblast is better though the sculpt is still pretty far off the mark, and a little to bulky.

MP-29 nails the look and style of Shockwave. It just needs to be taller (MP-13 height) and could definitely do with some nice paint finish.

FansToys could potentially wow with a new version but I’m not honestly sure it would be enough to steal the spotlight from MP-29. Those who love Quakewave won’t abandon him. Those who have MP-29 are probably pretty happy with him. Especially given the second darker deco now available. A taller and well-painted FT Quakewave 2.0 could potentially get some sales. It would have to be pretty good to get me to pick it up though.

• Like Like x 2
  9. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    Quakeblast is sitting snug and secure in my MP collection, along with the black/gold one. Quakewave I have too, but I'm down to sell him whenever

10. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    Its time for a better updated Shockwave!!! Siege Shockwave looks sooo much better than all 3 Mp options available for a non Mp figure!

11. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I completely agree. From day 1 I've never understood all the love this guy got. I've always thought Quakeblast was the best looking option

12. psychography2

psychography2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quakeblast fits with MP-10 and Despotron on my “Classic Masterpiece” shelf, while Takara Shockwave, Takara Megatron, and Magic Square Prime are on my “G1 Animated Masterpiece” shelf. All of my other MP figures are divided along those lines.

13. 630509

630509 RuptureFarms dismembers

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Funds Toys Queen Wave yet!

[​IMG]

:D :D :D