Fringe - Season 4 thread - Spoilers are the Pattern!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by General Magnus, Sep 25, 2011.

1. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    This season has been different and I am loving it. I really like Lincoln joing the team.

2. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've been saying this for a few years now,but how is it that John Noble doesn't at least get nominated for an Emmy.His portrayal of Walter is some of the best acting that I've ever seen on TV,and yet he gets no recognition for it.

I'd also like to know where they come up with some of these ideas for the show.Great stuff.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm not fond of Walter seemingly being confined to his lab/bedsit now. Part of the fun of his character was seeing him out and about and intereacting with people and places that don't know what Fringe Division is. I know that Peter isn't around for Walter to live with but he should still be allowed out on missions with the others. It's good it's allowed Astrid to get out more but I miss the old Walter licking and poking things in public as disgusted people look on. Would actually be nice to learn some more about Astrid as well. She's been in just about every episode and we know practically nothing about her outside of her job. Perhaps at least this new found outside mission involvement in the show will bring that about.

Also not enjoying Lee on the team. In his introduction episode this season it was like all the other characters had their IQ points halved so he could seem clever and useful to their mission and allowed to stay. In any other season the regular crew would've worked out all of this stuff themselves no problem. It's sort of the reverse of that 'villian decay' thing where a new bad guy is super badass and hard to defeat at the beginning but soon becomes just a normal bad guy that's easier to defeat on a regular basis. In this case the new good guy is an uber awesome detective spotting clues and connecting dots the others don't see and then after a few episodes he's downgraded to around the same level as the rest of the team once he's 'proved' himself. It's the kind of lazy writing trick that irks me.

Bring back Peter and bounce this other guy as soon as possible.

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Defintly. Astrid has been a main character for 4 season and we know next to nothing about her. Also agree with the comments on Walter.

5. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I'm always hoping they've been holding onto some huge reveal about her. Maybe she's involved with the Observers somehow and doesn't even know it.
    Just seems odd to have someone who's essentially a main character but to have barely developed her over the course of so many episodes.

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Peter's back. But the timeline hasn't reset.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Peter wasn't around when Olivia was a kid so it looks like the abuse went on for awhile and looks like she has a closer connection to Nina.

Peter was gone only 4 episodes, that really wasn't that long.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually in the old time-line her step father was still alive and sent her cards to bother her because he was an evil prick. In the reset time-line she murdered his ass dead.

9. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

... Its kinda like how in Beast Machines Transformers The polarity of Megatrons essence was reversed causing him to hop between objects but never fully able to stay within them until the polarity was reversed... With that in mind Walternate did the same causing the Physical Peter Bishop and his essence to be reduced into an non-corporial state in essence a ball of "Blue Energy" whose essence is magnetized. Subject 9 switched the Polarity of Peter Bishop's non-coporia state causing him to be a physical being again.

10. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

This new Universe is one that Peter Created by punching holes in both sides forcing them to co-exist and to work together. The 2nd Peter poofed out of existance is the moment we switched to the new Timeline and the History that Peter Bishop knows is from an aborted Time Line.

11. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I finally had a chance to watch last Friday's episode because I like to watch it when no one else is in the house interrupting me.

This episode was another perfect example of why Fringe is the best show on TV...period.It is probably my all time favorite show ever.The whole storyline of the husband trying to go back in time to before his wife developed Alzeimer's was fantastic,and the ending with what the wife did in the notebook was very touching.

It really saddens me knowing that this will most likely be the last season for Fringe.People just don't know what they are missing.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with this series. I think my main problem is that they spent all of last season with the alternate universe plot line front and center and now it's just gone. Last season, the show spent roughly an equal amount of time on both sides and we got some insight into life, and the characters, on the other side. We got to see that the alternate reality wasn't just some mirror universe filled with evil, moustache-twirling villains, but actual characters with lives and defined motivations. You could understand and empathize with them and see that their war with our reality, while misguided, had some justification. We get to the end of the season, the machine is built and finally, finally the two sides have been brought together. It looks like the two universes are going to team up at last and get to the business of saving both realities and unraveling the overarching mysteries...with the twist of Peter being deleted from the timeline.

But no. This season, the alternate universe and those characters we got to know last season have all but disappeared. The only interaction has been our side giving them some shape-shifter tech to analyze and Olivia going over to help them with one case. There's been no sign of the allied universes working together to fix the decay of the two realities, which was the driving plot of last season, or even that anyone's working on it at all. Is it just not a problem in this timeline? Who knows, since it hasn't been discussed at all that I remember, beyond a couple of off-hand comments. Instead, the series has gone back to mostly case-of-the-week episodes on our side with minimal advancement of the overarching plot, dragging out the timeline reset plot and introducing potentially another alternate reality, when we barely see the first one any more.

While the case-of-the-week stuff is great for character-development, the writing's on the wall for this series and they just don't have the time to be wasting right now, when there are so many ongoing plot threads that need to be tied up.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yeah, I miss the alternative universe.

Btw, who here thinks the new shapeshifters are working for a third universe faction?

14. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Actually, some would argue that what we're looking at is another alternate universe. This universe we're in is where Peter actually died. Somehow when he came back, he landed in the wrong timeline and we will probably see him figure that and try to get walter to help him send him back to his own timeline, where we can only assume the Walter and Olivia we've grown to love, are trying to search for him.

I'm just guessing btw.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually I'm waiting for Walternate's reaction when he finds out a version of his son is alive. It should prove interesting. Since Walter fears him... Walternate will probably start crying and hug him.

16. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    That would probably be the most acceptable version to me at the moment. Otherwise I'm kinda annoyed that the characters I'd followed for three seasons have been rewritten and now have changed histories and past interactions.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Walter sort of hinted at that possibility in one of the episodes, where he theorized Peter was from a third universe, relative to this timeline. If that's the case, then it seems like we're potentially dealing with as many as 5 realities here:

'Earth 1' - Original version of 'our' universe, from seasons 1 - 3
    'Earth 2' - Original version of 'over there', from seasons 1 - 3
    'Earth 3' - Alternate version of 'our' universe where both Peters died, location for this season
    'Earth 4' - Alternate version of 'over there' where both Peters died, occasional appearances this season
    'Earth 5' - Home reality of the new shape-shifters (speculation)

If this does turn out to be the case, I would have preferred the focus stayed on 'Earth 1' Olivia and Walter and the 'Earth 2' characters that we already know, rather than Peter's adventures in 'Earths 3 - 5'.

I'd be happy with seeing Walternate at all. His character was handled so well last season and he hasn't shown up at all this year, that I remember.