free Online Computer Diagnostic?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipwreck, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Does anyone know of any sites that have free online computer diagnostics? Or any tests online that might be able to figure out whats wrong with a computer?

2. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

First of all, don't use one of those things, most likely you'll get a virus or worm and spyware. Also they'll scan you entire computer most likely destroying privacy of passwords and information. So yeah, best bet if you think you have a virus by a virus sheild like Macafee or if you think someone hacked it buy a firewall. Otherwise just take it a computer store.

3. Shipwreck

For some reason my friends computer just crashes randomly out of no where and I'm not really sure what the problem is. I think it might be the graphics card but not positive. The only place I know to take it would be best buy with the geek squad but I don't want to tell my friend to take it there and them tell him all this shit is wrong with it is not true for $60 and then another $200 to fix something that might be as simple as the graphics card.

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    hmm, I'm curious why you would suspect the graphics card.

When I think crashing, I think something more crucial to system, like power source, motherboard, processor, RAM, or something to do with corrupted files on the hard drive or a corrupted hard drive sector leading to corrupted files. Of that list, my first concern would be with RAM, which is testable with a widely known and safe prgoram, memtest86. Of course this overlooks the possibility of a virus too.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    One thing you could try is going into the hardware device manager under the "system" icon in the control panel, and under "view" select "show hidden devices". Look for anything with a red X. It may help you determine if a driver or piece of hardware is failing.

It probably won't be that easy, but it's worth checking.

6. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
  7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Frequently, if a computer just stops working it's because of either the power supply is getting flaky or the hard drive is getting flaky.

Can you be a little more descriptive? does the screen just "freeze" or does the computer completely power down? Does it restart on it's own, or stay powered down?

What OS is he using?

8. Shipwreck

He's using Windows XP64 and it completely shuts down on you. Somethings not even being able to restart it for a couple of min's. He got it from Cyber Power Systems online and it had a problem like this before and he had to send it back to get it fixed. Most of the time it happens whenever you're viewing something that is heavily with the graphics / video. Which is why I figured it might be the graphics or video card but I really don't know as much about computers as some of you guys do. I just wanted to see if it was something that was simple in replacing without him having to send it all the way to Cali to get fixed when we are here in NJ>

9. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    download burnin test pro and see if it fails on the video tests
    download ubcd and test the hardrive and memory

10. Primus

News Credits:
    If it can't restart then it is 100% the power supply. The video card would not prevent at least the fans from starting up.

11. Shipwreck

Is there any way to test the power supply? Once it crashes it normally takes maybe three times to restart.

12. Primus

News Credits:
    You can take it in to a local computer store. Not specifically Best Buy but there are small mom and pop computer stores that can test it out. They are cheap to replace.