Free Comic Book Day 2014

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lazerwave, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I went back to my collector store to find out if the 10 comic books I want are at the store. Only 8 out of 10 are at the collector store. Which mean I might have to choose 2 other comics. Can anyone recommend 2 good comics? I was almost thinking about the Megaman one.

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I like getting whatever, I have a couple years' worth for when the kids are old enough to enjoy them. It's fun.

3. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I went to the collector store to get information about tomorrow. I met a friend and I showed him my list of Comics I want to get. He thought all of them were great, except one he thought I was nuts because it was terrible. So now I'm looking throught the list of Comics to see what I can get for a replacement for that and the ones that are not at the store.

4. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I'm excited.

5. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shoot, I almost forgot its on again. A very nice selection of titles to get. I have three LCS I can hit up at in the morning where I will be at, hopefully I can get a Heroclix figure again! ...oh dang its a two pack, argh I might not be able to get it.

6. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Almost spaced it out till I saw this thread. Just set my clock to get up in time to hit up the shop in the morning.

7. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

Long as I get my FCBD Atomic Robo, no one gets injured...

8. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

My Haul From FCBD

These are the 5 comics I picked out right below. The only two I really wanted was the Street Fighter #0 and Hardcover Mouse Guard. Otherwise the other 3 were just filler.

[​IMG]

Then I decided to check out the local artists to see what they had to offer. I walked away with two prints. I picked up Zatanna and Wonder Woman for $10 each. The Zatanna one I'm keeping for myself. The Wonder Woman one is for my sister whom couldn't make it since she's out of town. Anyhow, I dropped by Wal-Mart earlier to pick up an 11'' X 14'' frame for my print.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally the last item I got on sale. I love Invincible and figured Atom Eve would be great to own.

[​IMG]

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    The shop I stopped at had either a kid's grab bag or an adult grab bag. I got the kid's bag so I missed out of TF/Joe #0. Is it any good?

10. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I didn't realize getting some free comic books was such a huge deal. I was going to stop in at a local shop just to check it out but there were so many people there I said screw it, it's not worth it.

11. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was horrible. The art is atrocious and the story wasn't all that good, I'm sorry to say.

12. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I just got back from my local Free Comic Book Day. Luckily I was the first one in line because I lined up at 10am when the store opens at 12pm. At 10:30 it picked up and at 11am the was a Really long line up. But I got 10 free comic books, Some I'm happy, but some I regret. I was going to save them for a special occasion.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

So.....you stood in line for two hours just to get some free comic books? I guess I'd call that dedication.

14. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

I ended up hitting a few different stores for sale purposes. Here are some quickie reviews.

*MMPR (Papercutz): Not horrible. It's written by someone who has at least some knowledge of Power Rangers, but there were some errors, both factual and technical, that make me wonder if the editors were a bit clueless about the material. I liked the art and the idea of the Radbug being the monster is kind of brilliant.

*TF vs. GI Joe (IDW): This is not a typical Joe or TF comic. This has the high concept of "toy franchises as drawn by Jack Kirby", so if you go into it with that mentality and don't expect it to match the later Dreamwave/Devil's Due stories, it's much better. I loved the gag of constantly introducing new Joes (they even had Shooter, who they mistakenly drew as a man, but still!). I still really want a crossover of Barber's RID and Hama's ARAH titles, but until that happens, this will suffice.

*Guardians of the Galaxy (Marvel): Blech. The excerpt from Starlin's upcoming Thanos OGN was nice if contextless, and the Spider-Verse story was intriguing but also out of nowhere. But the main story... I've never liked the idea of Flash Thompson as Venom since that title began and this book does nothing to fix that. He comes off as a total moron in this story. I'm not sure if Bendis was trying to make him seem star-struck or something, but it backfired horribly.

*Armor Hunters Preview (Valiant): Like the GoTG book, this lacks a lot of the context to really work, but it at least contains some really great harbingers (heh) of the future of the crossover. The Rai preview was totally unnecessary though since not only did Rai #1 just come out, but that preview has been at the end of every Valiant book for what seems like ages. I guess The Delinquents isn't ready yet, because that would've been perfect to slip in.

*Valiant Handbook (Valiant): This was my most anticipated book, since I love Valiant and I love handbooks, and it didn't disappoint. I will say that I wish it was alphabetized and I have some quibbles about what got covered and what didn't--Archer and Armstrong have to share a profile?!--but hey, it's free. The profile for General Redacted is worth it. Plus it clears up the ending of the Goat zero issue.

15. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I've never heard of a limit before.You are(were) allowd to get one of everthing.Now they bag them up for adults/boys/girls,which i don't like cause i like to get all of them. I took my kids cause all they have talked about for 2 weeks is seeing Deadpool.My LCS has the 501 show up. Hit up the artist on the outside and got some badass pics.My daughter got Starscream,my son got 1 with all 3 seekers and i got Batman and Usogi.

I was going to stop by the other shop,but a dude was telling me it was over a hour wait just to get in.....screw that.I've been going for a long time now and this feels like one of the better years.

16. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

The Tick: SPOON!
    MMPR: Awesome.
    TFVGIJOE: Wow. to think I was interested in this crossover.

17. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Went to the comic book store no offers for a free comic.

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    The Transformer/GI Joe crossover was fun. Nothing groundbreaking, but quirky in a good way. I thought It was... Charming.

Anyone pick up Steam Wars? I actually thought it was Star Wars. It was an interesting read and the art was nice.

19. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hit up 4 LCSs today.
    First one had just opened with only two people in store and they were still setting up. They had the option of getting two free comics or buying anything in the store and get one free comic of every title they had.
    Second one was open ahead of time by 10 minutes, limit 4 comics per customers. They were also running a special promotion of Free Comic Book May, a free comic every Saturday in May as long as you have the card they passed out today for you to redeem every Saturday. No Heroclix through.
    Third one was really packed, I waited about an hour to get inside. Limit 10 comics per customer. They gave away the Heroclix only if you get picked by the staff and answer their trivia question correctly. The stupidest question they asked was "what is Green Goblin's real name?"... dude, there's more than one Green Goblin. :rolleyes2 
    Fourth one had a Deadpood comic as part of FCBD, that was a head scratcher as I don't remember it being in the lineup. No Heroclix in store sadly, this was my go-to store for getting the FCBD Heroclix, as I scored two Iron Man 3 Heroclix last year.

My haul:
    Archie Digest #1
    Bongo Free-For-All
    DC The New 52 Futures End
    Deadpool The Gauntlet
    Hello Kitty and Friends
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Kaboom Summer Blast
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
    Transformers VS. G.I. Joe
    Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck
    Rocket Raccoon
    Valiant 2014
    Courtney Crumrin
    Project Black Sky
    Finding Gossamyr
    FUBAR The Ace of Spades
    Grimm Fairy Tales
    Les Miserables The Fall of Fantine
    Mouse Guard
    Shigeru Mizuki's Showa A History of Japan
    Sonic The Hedgehog and Mega Man X
    Street Fighter
    Teen Titans Go
    The Tick
    Uber
    Valiant Universe Handbook 2014
    V Wars
    World of Aspen

So far I have only read Uber and DC New 52 Futures End and I enjoyed both.

20. sh002

sh002 Banned

I went to one comic store and got a lot of free comics from last year's FCBD plus 10 free comics from this year's. Then I went to another comic store and got an additional free comic. Cool. I'm going to the same stores next year.