Free Comic Book Day 2014

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lazerwave, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Here is our selection.

Free Comic Book Day - The Comics

This will be my very first Free Comic Book Day ever. My comic store said only one of each comic and only 10 comics per customer. Lucky for me I'm chosen my 10 comics and there nothing else I want.

Since this is my first free comic day, I have a few questions for anyone who did attend the day many times.

1) What's the difference between Gold Books and Silver Books?

2) Has there ever been a time where you go to a comic book store for that event and they don't have certain ones?

3) Are the stores crowded for that event?

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Never been to a FCBD. I've always viewed it as an attempt to draw in new readers so what's the point of a long-time reader going.

That said, FCBD has never been "free." Shops try too hard to make it still feel like collecting.

3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Hahaha, I got the only thing that matters for FCBD today when I was at Tradesmart. They had the 2000 AD FCBD magazine for this year on their racks.

4. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I'm trying to decide if I should go to the store early. I heard they will sell out fast and I have 10 comics I want but there is one that I must get first and I have a feeling it's going to be the most popular comic that will sell out first.

5. sh002

sh002 Banned

The comic store near me only allows one free comic so I might get Guardians of the Galaxy or Transformers vs GI Joe

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

And that's why fcbd will never succeed at promoting comic books to a wider audience. Lcbs are so petty and tightfisted over valueless books. It's a shame really.

7. sh002

sh002 Banned

Yeah it's pretty sad when I see them charging kids for each additional 'free' comic book

8. AZSirwave

AZSirwave Россия

What is wrong with those stores? It's called "free" for a reason. There are two stores I usually hit, and both offer several free comics. One of the owners even allows customers to go through long box after long box of "clearance"/cover price books and pick out a set amount for free. The rest of his books are usually marked down drastically, prices rivaling that of Black Friday. So it looks like it depends on the specific store as to what will be offered and for what price that day.

Edit: forgot to mention that it turns into a mini convention for both stores as well. Already both owners are posting or hinting at artists and writers that will be visiting/sketching that day.

If they run out pretty quickly, I'd say hit up that store first thing in the morning. It's possible the owner may have a mondo sale going on, too.

9. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

It's actually a good day at my LCBS for they run sales on other stuff. Hold slot members get to pick 5 and non get 3. Kids I believe get to pick up a bunch more. Otherwise it's not that bad a day since they draw in more people (though to be fair, in my area it's the only comic book store within 20 miles) so that's why the limit in imposed.

Otherwise it usually is a busy day with lots of people already lined up at store opening here. At least these are my experiences with my own local shop.

10. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that really all of them? I was expecting more... well, more that I'd be interested in.

Cut and paste:

Comics listed under the gold are most likely to be carried by the store.

Yes, so go early if what you want is on the gold list. If not, go early anyways.

I tend to see more than usual. Definitely alot more children.

11. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info. I checked my list of Comics I want to get, the limit of free comics is 10, and 6 out of 10 are gold books. Some don't matter, but there is 1 that I must get first. I asked my collector store how many they had and they said they have a fair stack. But I can't take any chances, I must line up really early.

The other 5 gold books I have a certain order I want to get them, they are from most wanted to least concerned.

The 4 silver books I don't know why I chose them. One issue from one series of this certain comic scared me so I never read another of theier comics ever, One comic I don't believe in Zombies, the third I had no intention but I still watch the show, and the last one just made me think how would they remake that story can be retold in Victorian times.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's like handing out one piece of candy per kid on Halloween.

I've seen it the other way and what happens is that the first few people who show up take EVERYTHING and leave nothing for the kids who had soccer practice or whatever. Limiting the number people can take is just the retailer trying to pace things so that everyone gets a chance to get something.

It's also worth pointing out that although the FCBD books are free to us, retailers have to pay for them.

Anyway, the only one I'm interested in is GI Joe vs. Transformers. For everything else I can wait until it gets collected in whatever tpb.

13. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Yeah, we try not to limit, but we end up with other stores sending THEIR regulars here to try and clean us out, and like SouthtownKid said...we DO have to pay for them, and the price keeps going up and up. Even though we give them away. My bill for the FCBD books I am giving out is just north of $3000 and we aren't exactly (or even remotely) a mega store. Having a sale helps offset the cost, and we hope we break even, but I can tell you that I've seen lots of people that only come in for free comics that I will never see until next time there's free comics....or the people that get freaked out if we stamp our logo on them so they aren't mint.

I'd actually rather it be like record store day where each of the stores in the area only get to offer a few different titles and people that want other books get to check out multiple stores if they want a set. I've done that with friends a few times and it was a blast.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I might run my daughter in to get her a free comic or two

15. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

FCBD 2014 Future's End
    FCBD 2014 MegaMan X/Sonic the Hedgehog
    FCBD 2014 Street Fighter #0
    FCBD 2014 Transformers vs G.I. Joe
    FCBD 2014 MMPR (Not for me)
    3x FCBD 2014 Hello Kitty and Friends (Obviously not for me)

My lcs owner was awesome enough to help me out so I was able to get some free comics today. I won't be in town this Sat.

16. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Lucky! One of those Comics is the one on my top of my list and I believe might be the most wanted Comic.

17. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really? Which one? The TF/GI Joe one? I passed on the Guardians and Rocket Raccoon. Could've gotten those too, but I probably won't be reading those.

18. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Lucky. I only notice I got was that as a hold slot holder I can buy sale items starting today onwards. So I gotta make sure to drop by my shop tomorrow and then again on Saturday for the actual comics.

19. AZSirwave

AZSirwave Россия

Talk about an awesome cbs owner. Congrats on the nice score, optics :) . Only looking forward to GI Joe vs TFs and maybe a couple others.

One of the stores will he having a street fair, artists and writers stationed across the street at tables with the free comics. The other store owner continues to post on fb about artists that'll be appearing. He'll also have the store open for 72 hours straight. Jesse is hardcore, that's all I can say.

20. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Not really. The TF/GI Joe Crossover is on my list, but I have a feeling the Power Ranger one is going to be the hot comic.