Heavy/Scratch: Free 3D Print Download: Upgrades for Greasepit

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Malunis_T, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I made parts for Ironworks and Airwave before, and after there was interest in me doing this kind of thing for the other Modulators, I thought about it for a while. This is what I finally came up with.

20220802_162538-edit.jpg

Tha's right, Greasepit's base mode now looks like a proper building! Not THE same layout as the G1 playset design, but inspired by it. A new head was made with a 5mm hole in the back of it to allow you to attach this door piece for the base mode. There's also a new forearm part that uses roughly the same measurements as Ironworks' crane arm, but designed to look like a building. Originally the intent was to include a hole for the billboard to peg into, but there was no good way to keep the billboard from colliding with the yellow rooftop, so it's just a bonus non-essential hole. It happens to provide the illusion that it's part of the billboard's support.

As a fun little detail, the sign above the door spells out "GP" using 90s Decepticon Cybertronian glyphs. Because apparently we can get that specific with Cybertronian. Ignore the fact that the billboard is in English.

20220802_161904-edit.jpg

Here he is in robot mode, demonstrating the forearm's design in this mode, along with where you might be able to store that base mode door panel, and a look at the head. Much like how Ironworks kind of feels like a Matrix-powered version of the Micromaster of the same name, Greasepit is designed to heavily resemble his Micromaster counterpart with a slightly differently shaped visor and one of those blocky mouths you might see on giants like Armada Tidal Wave. Also, new gun based on one of the missiles included with G1 Greasepit's playset. It pegs onto the bottom of the base mode like Ironworks' gun did. I just thought it would be nice to give him an original weapon.

Before I link the files, please be aware of something: The way Hasbro constructs toys now is frustrating from a customization standpoint. I designed the head with a new hinge since the official head is basically glued together onto its balljoint hinge, meaning you'd have to break open the head to even remove it.

Also, there's the forearm. It's held together by one screw, but inside there is a small peg glued in to hold it all together more securely. Inevitably, prying open the forearm for removal will break the peg. So if you don't wanna break your Generations Selects item, I understand. After testing this on a spare Ironworks, it doesn't feel like breaking the peg cause any problems. The screw holds the two halves together just fine.

Also also, the new forearm I made is held together in a sorta permanent method (for sake of stability) where there's a tight pin you shove in there. If you wanna be able to remove that pin in the future, without damaging the new forearm piece, I included the long pin I used while prototyping. It's labeled as "Pin 2".

I was really interested in making this a painless upgrade set, and the forearm ultimately gave me enough trouble I had to resort to disassembling the part in a minorly damaging way. If you think of this as a kitbash project, maybe it's fine. I just imagine there would be people who see Selects as decidedly more sacred than a retail item.

Anyway, the download link: Transformers Earthrise - Greasepit Upgrade Set by Malunis

... Oh, and for those wondering, I do already have a part made for an eventual Hot House upgrade set. I'm still figuring out how it will all come together.

• Like Like x 21
  2. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

That's a nice upgrade! Good work.
    Only thing I'd want to add to gas station mode is the pole with the hanging side.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thankya. That was actually part of my initial plan, along with a new version of the gas pump, but I found myself satisfied with how the official pump turned out once I received the figure, and the sign was such a small part I wasn't sure how well it'd print or how to incorporate it on the robot since it'd likely be smaller than 5mm. I'd seen upgrades for Ironworks out there so I'd be down to see folks do the same for the other Modulators, get their own takes on the idea. In the end my set is more of an "Inspired by G1" than a "Directly based on G1".

• Like Like x 3
  4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nice job!

5. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    Interesting project! Too bad we can't do an entire aftermarket replacement arm piece for the "Pop N Drop" crowd...

6. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Awesome dude!