FP Steel Core Trailer Preorders Live Sept. 19th

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by AlphaFool, Sep 12, 2014.

1. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, this smacks of running out of money...

2. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

News Credits:
    I complained about the sticker book on their facebook post and they told me that collecting should feel frustrating and that giving members all the stickers at once is handing them things on a silver platter...

I get the whole 'retro' idea, but I have a hard time buying that 'retro' MUST = frustrating to be real.

It really does seem like a running out of money thing, especially considering that we have to buy the stickers. I'm not sure how feasible trading will be. It's not like all the kids on my street are buying $100 3rd party figs...

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Collecting should feel frustrating?!?

No, just....no.

4. einhazard

News Credits:
    From our conversation on FB:

"As a group we all consider ourselves collectors, with the root of that word being collect. In the past when you bought a sticker book off the shelf did it include all the stickers with it? When you tried to collect all your Back to the Future card sets, did one pack have the entire collection in it? By giving everything at one time it totally defeats the purpose of collecting. As with Glacialord, no one out there has a perfect box, because trying to collect a mint perfect set of vintage figures in neigh impossible. This is completely along the same line of thinking. If we were to just give the entire set out right away it would totally defeat the purpose of the entire collecting experience. It is suppose to be about having fun with it and reaching out to other collectors in the community and coming together to help each other out. "

"We are not out to make things complicated and totally impossible to complete because the story is fun and the art is amazing to go along with it all and we want everyone to be able to enjoy it but to do that, we are not going to just hand it over on a silver platter either. "

"This is more about the nostalgic way of collecting and maybe even some of the hardships and frustrations that go along with it, and some of the heartfelt rewards when things go right."

I'd like to see the part where 'things go right', please.

5. thelastson82

thelastson82 Ankle tilts!

News Credits:
    That's not exactly what they said on FB, though. And, what you're saying was taken out of context. I did not interpret their reply the same way as you did...

6. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd guess they will hand out stickers at conventions, or pack them into future exclusives.

7. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

No matter what they say, it was mostly implied that ppl who bought into this deal would get little bots to fill out the trailer. Be they cores, diaclone pilots, head masters, what ever.

Not a sticker book. Not stickers.

Just writing that made me chuckle out loud. Is ludicrous and shameful

Instead of the glacial story being told on the back of the box, or included in the comic/instructions like how MMC so expertly does, you have to :stickies 

FP is a joke.

:rip  FP 2016, you had a good run but lost your way.

8. einhazard

News Credits:
    But they specifically said that giving members all the stickers at once was handing them out on a silver platter. I'm not sure how much more in context it can be if I'm copy-pasting their responses.

I get that they're saying that they're trying to latch onto 80's nostalgia and that sometimes collecting feels frustrating, but that seems like a cop-out as the frustration is totally manufactured in this case. There's no reason that members couldn't get stickers w/their books and non-members would have to buy the packs. I don't think that anyone is going to say "Gee, thanks for making this frustrating."
    I mean, they said "This is more about the nostalgic way of collecting and maybe even some of the hardships and frustrations that go along with it". Where's the misinterpretation?

9. motorthing

motorthing Chilhampton St Peter War Memorial Society

News Credits:
    If frustration is the experience you're aiming to give your paying customers then maybe you want to read those Business for Complete Fucking Imbeciles Guides a little more closely.

But in terms of clunking out justifications for this I'll give them a solid 6/10 for that effort.

No doubt somebody will be here in a minute to state yet again that these are freebies and that a box of noodles would meet FPC's mandate to provide something if they so chose to do.

Bye bye thread, it's been/not been fun.

10. TheGreatScrotum

TheGreatScrotum Well-Known Member

Heard there were free boxes of frustration noodles... I'm all in, when does the preorder window open?

Guys come on, we're in it for the toys. Everything else is free. Just because we are manchildren doesn't mean we have to act like it... Or maybe we do, but we can pretend to be big boys, ya?

11. Spiff-O-Matic

Spiff-O-Matic I can haz catch-phrase?

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    If they want this to feel like "retro collecting", make the sticker packs 99 cents for 5 or 10 stickers. That'll bring me back to my childhood and collecting Garbage Pail Kids. :D 

I have a feeling the packs are going to be outrageously priced beyond impulse buy territory.

12. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FPC has got their target audience all wrong. The target audience are grown men/women who want immediate satisfaction, not 10 year olds who still enjoy the challenge of collecting things. Amirite?

13. einhazard

News Credits:
    But it's free in the way that cell phone games are free. It's a microtransaction model. You can't complete the book without paying money.

Exactly. Collecting back in the day might have been frustrating when you couldn't find the one thing you want, but I'm going to guess that this isn't going to be like picking up a pack of Magic: The Gathering cards. They said on FB that they're going to set some sort of trading site up for people, but where a lot of the basics from FPCore (like the Crystal system) still don't exist, that seems unlikely.

I'm definitely one who doesn't usually complain about manufacturer freebies or anything like that, but in this case, it's a weak freebie followed up by additional charges that make it not free at all followed by FPCore trying to dodge accountability by saying that frustration should accompany nostalgia, when it absolutely doesn't need to since they control the entire stock of product.

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Do they think people are actually going to bother? Do we think people are actually going to bother? Seems like WAY too much effort for something that few to none would even care about...

15. porkchop123

porkchop123 Well-Known Member

Mine will be going straight into the trash.

16. thelastson82

thelastson82 Ankle tilts!

News Credits:
    No it wasn't. People assumed that. Plus, this was posted on their site back in October:

Why is a free sticker book with somebody's artwork and stories shameful and ludicrous? You could throw it in the garbage, and it wouldn't even matter.

These are your words:

This is what was actually said:

Going by what you posted, I would have thought that FPC lost their mind, and that's not the case at all.

17. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine will be going straight to ebay. I love sticker books but I have never finished a single one

18. einhazard

News Credits:
    They said "This is more about the nostalgic way of collecting and maybe even some of the hardships and frustrations that go along with it". That is saying that frustration should be a part of the way they view collecting to be.

They also said "we are not going to just hand it over on a silver platter"

I said "they told me that collecting should feel frustrating and that giving members all the stickers at once is handing them things on a silver platter"

What's your interpretation?

19. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I think the idea is cute and I love Glacialord but for me I just don't see myself wanting the stickers enough to make any attempt at getting them. It's the same reason I don't own any secondary stands for my toys. Stands are great in concept but whenever I get tempted to buy one I usually think of the toys that money could go towards instead. Priorities I guess.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the scans online once the stickers have all been released. :) 

20. iphdtd

iphdtd The Wolfman's Brother

Agree 100%