Forgotten toylines you remember from your childhood

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Spin-Out, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

This is about toylines that are mostly forgotten nowadays, pieces of nostalgia your friends probably don't even know existed. For me, that was the Z-Bots. Z-Bots were a line of Micro Machines toys. They had everything you'd expect from an 80's/early 90's boy's toyline - good vs evil factions, bright colors, playsets... Sadly, the toyline is fairly obscure since it never got a cartoon for some baffling reason. I mean, they had every reason to make one - you had the heroic Z-Bots (Designed to Defend!) against the evil Voids (Made to Menace!) who were turned bad by a computer virus. There were even combining toys in the line, where three Z-Bots/Voids would combine into either a bigger robot or a vehicle of some sort, and there were also individual Z-Bots who had the ability to transform into futuristic "vehicles." There was also a Burger King promotion, where these guys came from.
    skyviper.jpg turbine.jpg jawbreaker.jpg
    buzzsaw.jpg bugeye.jpg
    Upper left is Skyviper (Void), upper middle is Turbine (Z-Bot), upper right is Jawbreaker (Void), bottom left is Buzzsaw (Z-Bot) and bottom right is Bugeye (Z-Bot).

I have really fond memories of these guys that only just recently resurfaced. I got the five Burger King Z-Bots off of eBay a few days ago so I can have a sorta "complete" collection without hunting down others on eBay... For now, at least.

So yeah. Anyone want to share forgotten toylines from their childhood?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. glinthos

glinthos doomed hometown

I still have a bunch of Z-bots sitting around somewhere. There were also half-size mini Z-bots that came with vehicles and playsets. I had a lot of Starcom stuff around 1988- all gone now except for one pistol I gave to my last surviving Battle Beast.

This is as good a place as any to ask:
    I remember having a booklet for a line of transforming robot/vehicles circa 1985 that were neither Transformers nor Gobots. There was a Formula 1-type car named "Indy" and I think a van named "Truc". I've never been able to find anything on it.

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors.
    Gads I loved that line. The show was fun, and the toys were awesome. I only had four of them, but the playability was through the roof.

Godzilla Gang.
    Harder vinyl figures about 6-7 inches tall that included a bunch of non-standard beasties like what may be on Monster Island. I still have a few, but somehow lost Godzilla. I'm still bummed about that to this day.

4. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Sectaurs!

• Like Like x 2
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Mummies Alive, man.

• Like Like x 1
  6. grymg

grymg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ROBO Force!

7. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Battle Beasts!

8. Drangleic

Drangleic Hell devours the indolent

I had completely forgotten about this. I had Dorgon (or whatever the name is).

9. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Starcom

starcom_product_flyer_german_1987_by_winterhall-d4pom7j.jpg

Robotix

argus-box.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Flying Fighters - a line of military aircraft with detachable, electronic joysticks. Came with 2.5" pilot figures. Loved this toyline. Nothing like it since, unfortunately. Didn't last long.

There were 3 retooled Flying Fighters F-14 Tomcats sold at KB Toys in the early 90's. Navy(blue), Marines(green camo) and Air Force(white). The mold was retooled with lights in the front to resemble guns. I wasn't sure if these were bootlegs or made exclusively for KB Toys by Hasbro. Not sure if they were sold under the Flying Fighters brand but I don't think they were. Quality was about the same.

11. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

Shogun Cyber Warriors. They looked like Bandai's earlier Power Rangers style action figures with chrome plated peg-on armor made by Trendmasters in their heyday. It never got past the four characters and they never released the 'evil alien warlord' the line was supposed to have.

12. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Were they? There was a sub-line called Mini-Zs which were certainly closer to Micro Machines in scale, so I'd imagine Galoob used the MM name for those. I still have the two largest vehicles they made for that line.

Hard to say what my favourite obscure childhood toyline would be, but Computer Warriors is probably one of them. I also owned several figures from Kenner's Police Academy toyline.

13. glinthos

glinthos doomed hometown

IIRC, both regular and mini Z-bots had Micro Machines branding on the packaging.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    If you say so.

I actually did have one full-sized Z-bots you - a yellow spherical tank thing and it's pilot - but I have NO idea what the hell happened to it. It surprises me that the mini-z's all survived to this day. In fact, that's pretty much the fate of all my toys - apart from the few that broke, they either survived or just flat out freakin' disappeared.

I had this big-ass jet thing from New Adventures of He-Man a swell that had like a targeting scope/periscope thing built into it, but since I had no figures from that line I just crammed the cockpit full of other toys...no idea what happened to it.

15. Drangleic

Drangleic Hell devours the indolent

Anyone remember rubbery snake guys that had plastic removable armor? I have no idea what they were.

16. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was a fan of Shogun Warriors and Micronauts in the 1970, but I'm probably one of the older people on this board.

• Like Like x 2
  17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

That military equipment line that transformed into little battle bases. I remember one being a water canteen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Exo-Squad seems to be relatively ignored these days.

19. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Man, so many of these toylines are before my time, it's pretty sweet to see you guys talk about 'em.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I wanted one of these so badly but I had a toy that was very similar so I couldn't really complain: