Forbes Interview with Michael Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Number1sikko, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

QFT.

He works hard, and he got himself a decent cut. As far as being a director goes, I don't like the choices he makes to tell a good story. Editing and his shot compositions are too frenetic and frenzied (see what I did there?), and his dialogue choices are about as thin as the film it's printed on.

Character development? What's that?

2. Burgo

Burgo Member

This.
    Except for the toy collection thing, dont really have that much interest in them. Only use i see for them now is to go put in the boxes of transformers toys from when i was a kid. And even then i rarely see the point.

3. Colonel Manface

Colonel Manface Well-Known Member

Well, if what's being said about ROTF is true, this movie is gonna be better than the last one in terms of character development and depth. That's... not saying much really, but it's a start. Who knows, maybe by TF3, we'll have something pretty intelligent. Maybe.

4. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    And yet, none of them are more :bay 

5. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

I'm 30 years old and grew up on the G1 cartoon, but movie leader OP was my first TF toy. and with that, collected the rest of the movie line, then the MP line, then Alt/BT, then classics, then animated, then universe/henkei, then encores/G1, and am now looking into A/E/C and beast wars.

that, my friends, is what solid 120 plus minutes of advertising (also called 'blockbuster movie') can do to you. and i'm glad i bit coz this hobby is the best!

can't wait for JUNE 24 for the next ad.

thank you michael bay! :) 

6. Elvio

Elvio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, that explains the Animated and Universe toys being the first ones to have the prices raised. Michael Bay is getting 8% of those too!!!!111

:tongue: 

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Movie-related toys only.

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    From what I've been able to piece together on the comments that movie toys are off-limits to Hasbro and Fun Pub for non-movie usage, I think whatever contracts were negotiated meant the toys are joint owned by Hasbro, Paramount/Dreamworks and Bay, while the films themselves are owned by Paramount/Dreamworks and Bay, given Hasbro didn't contribute to the budget.

I don't think it works like that. The price increase was across the board, wasn't it?

Also, I hardly think Bay would get anything from non-Movie toys because logic suggests Universe is owned between Hasbro and TakaraTomy, and I presume the Cartoon Network has a stake in Animated toys. One reason price has increased is due to the financial woes the world is currently in.

9. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Chances are high that the deal with GM is already done for the 3rd movie. They probably tacked it on to the deal with the 2nd movie, or even had a 3 movie deal before the first movie.

Still, I'd be thrilled to see a WRX turn into a bot on the big screen. Preferably a blue 2003 model :D 

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it got something to do with the death threats he received?

11. Scottimus

Scottimus That's what she said

Wow, he gets 8 percent of the movie toy sales. Dayum!

12. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Cool!

13. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

your right, I doubt he gets anything from Animated(but as you said Cartoon network might but I rather doubt it) or Universe... the increase in Animated and Universe could possibly be the result of a loss in revenue from the movie toys.. I mean I'm still willing to chalk it up to simply oil and transfer costs have gone up.. so plastic is more expensive..

but 8% is something like 90cents out of every 12.99... it may not seem like a lot but I'm mostly just wondering if Wal-Mart or Hasbro took a pay cut to deal him in.. or if the Consumer had to foot the bill.

I dunno.. I didn't say the price increase was a definite result of bays 8%... just that it was sort of curious.. not that we will ever know 100% though..

But it does cement my plans not to buy any movie toys..

14. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    There was also the lead paint scare that lead to increased testing being required. And didn't i hear 3 major toy factories in China closed last year? driving up demand at the remaining factories.

remember though, stores pay wholesale, the big boys like Target and WM probably get the toys around 1/2 what retail is, so approx 6.50 of each on is going to hasbro...

15. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

No, because he'd rather stroke his own ego instead and have people like you kissing his a$$ and giving his a$$ $$$ to feed it some more.

16. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Let's be real here... it didn't matter who directed the Transformers movie because it was going to do that anyway. The fact that a major motion picture about Transformers was being made, was going to alert a whole new audience and age demographic anyway who do not turn on Cartoon Network. So it really didn't matter who directed it or how it turned out... just the fact that it bears the name "Transformers" which so many people have fond memories of from their cherished childhoods, plus the fact that it's giant robots that turn into cars and jets and kick each others a$$ is what sells. It wouldn't have matter who made the movie. As long as it had a good marketing plan and advertisement campaign, it was going to sell tickits and alert an entire audience of teens and adults that don't pay attention to kids toys/cartoons but see the movie advertisement on TV and think, "Oh Transformers? I loved those as a kid!" or "Woh big robots that change into cars! Cool!". It probably could have even been called Go-Bots and directed by Sam Raimi still have done the exact same thing. Then you all would be bowing down to Sam Raimi.

The point is, it didn't matter who made it. It was a given already for success just based on the popularity of the brand/gimic. A live action movie just made more people aware that it still existed... plus the fact that it had never been shown in live action before.

17. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay = Win!

18. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Save for the part about the movie getting me back into TF, I generally have to agree with this almost word for word. I always remained a fan, but I completely fell out of collecting TF somewhere around the late days of G1 / early days of G2 and just could not get into any of the follow-up series. I even resorted to selling off most of my collection. It wasn't until Dreamwave showed up to resurrect the G1 series via their comics and the arrival of Masterpiece Prime & Binaltech that made me stand up and pay attention again. I browsed old G1 toys on eBay and maybe even bought the odd Commemorative re-release, but it was Classics that really got me back into actively collecting along with (back then) the rumor of a live action movie happening that was being financed by Spielberg and directed by Bay.

So yeah, like him or not, Bay's movie is what put TF back on the map on a global level and quite literally revived a franchise that was in a coma. I'm not too happy with the direction he (and Hasbro) chose to take with it, but am grateful for its success because of how many doors & options it re-opened to old collectors like myself.

19. _Galvatron_

_Galvatron_ Emperor of Destruction

A thousand times THIS.

TF1 was so successful because of the amazing special effects. It was not the great story, the amazing acting, the clever dialogue...because the film never had any of that. It only looked pretty. That is the essence of a Michael Bay film.

20. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    The quality of those special effects had a great deal to do with Bay's involvement...