For those who actually care about what movie critics think

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MegatronSupporter, May 13, 2010.

1. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

Would any of you guys be satisfied with Tranformers 3 if the movie critics thought it was better than ROTF? But only as a sequel(and for those of you who hated ROTF as well).

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I'm going to be seeing these movies anyway, so in this case, critical opinion doesn't play into whether I see the movie or not. It's a transformers movie, so I'm presold, for better or worse.

Where critics' opinion matters for me is on movies I would otherwise skip. If I have only marginal interest, but the word is that a movie is solid, I'll consider it.

Will it bother me if my own opinion differs from the critical consensus? Hard to say. I suppose it would somewhat, but I have enough confidence in my own judgement and am well used to holding minority opinions. Whether I'll enjoy a movie or not depends partly on my expectations going in. I know TF3 is not going to be on the same level as Iron Man or The Dark Knight. I expect a fair amount of crudeness and goofy ******ed shit. With the bar set suitably low, there should be less room for disappointment this time around.

I'm hoping for something a little more compelling in its own way, and with enough redeeming qualities to distract from the annoying stuff.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I know that it'd be a hard task for it to be found as even worse than RotF by the film critiquing community. So yeah, I'd be glad if it was better.

4. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    who cares what the critics think! If a movie sucks it sucks!

5. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

I'm generally of the opinion that if a critic hates a summer popcorn flick like Transformers... then I'll like it and enjoy it for what it is.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I only enjoy critic reviews if they're scathing and cruel about a film. Makes them more fun to read. And makes for fun reaction threads to those reviews.
    As for if it would affect how I feel about a particular movie then no, I don't take the opinions of critics seriously enough. As before I'd have to watch it myself to see what I felt about it.

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Oh absolutely. I need the input of the critics to craft my opinion about a film for me. I similarly use television commercials to judge entire TV shows.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why people that don't care about what critics think are posting in a topic for people that care?

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    So you care then? And yet didn't use your post to elaborate on your caring.

10. MegatronSupporter

Oh whoops.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I find critics to be really helpful when it comes to the question of should I go see the movie at the theater or just wait and put it on Netflix.

I just really enjoy going to the theater to watch movies, but when I go I want it to be a really good film to leave me with a nice feeling of wow it was worth paying extra to see it now. If it's a bad film I'd rather just see it at home.

So when I saw the Tomato Meter for 2012 I was no I'll wait on Netflix. Really glad that I did because it was painfully bad to me the way I hate junk science carried too far.

If the Tomato Meter and Movie Bob say that Transformers 3 is a great film then yea I'll be there opening weekend. If they say it's another disappointment then I'll wait on Netflix to see what everyone has been fighting over. Well unless it's like X-Men 3 which I still haven't seen so yea just because you've watched two films doesn't mean you have to see part 3.

12. MegatronSupporter

It's the Bart Simpson I do what I feel like,thing. Heh.

13. MegatronSupporter

I can't comprehend how there are smart people in the world who can do something like graduate from University,but then go on to needing a stranger's help that they don't know to help them make a decision like if they are going to see a movie or not because of some movie critic,And I find those kind of people really hard to take seriously if they fall in that sort of boat.

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey, if theatres would just give me a refund every time I didn't like a flick, I'd see a lot more movies. Barring that I research a film in advance, usually through ratings aggregators.

15. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Um...because that shit aint free? Lots of movies come out each week and we can't see all of them. Some are good, some are bad. Critics are supposed to help us make a choice. And critics aren't awlays right. "Drag Me to Hell" got rave reviews but it was a HORRIBLE movie.

For me, I'll read the reviews and decide if I want to see it in theaters or rent it on video. Sometimes, I'll read the reviews that say its horrible, but get caught up in the hype and still see it.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I always talk a fair game of smack when the movies come out, but the reality is that it hurts to have these critics savaging a movie with the Transformers brand attached to it. I have too strong an emotional connection for it not to affect me. I still think they're a bunch of fat, pompous, self important blowhards who in essence have absolutely no basis to "get it" when it comes to Transformers, but it hurts.

So if TF3 at least gets reviews on par with Transformers, I'll be happier. But I think more than that is too much to hope for. These people are not normal. They exist in a world where the rest of us are unwashed masses, and anything not avant garde or pseudointellectual is just popcorn munching brain dead cinema to them.

17. Ash from Carolina

I think you've got things a bit confused.

A movie critic doesn't actually make a decision for people. A movie critic states why he or she liked or did not like a movie and then they tell you why they think that you might like or not like the film as well.

If you don't like Chinese historical dramas it doesn't matter how much critics rave about the film you are still free to say thank you for the advise but those aren't my sort of films I will pass. Just as a person is free to say thank you movie critic for your advise but I'm an action movie junky so I've just got to see the new beat 'em up movie. There is no obligation that you must see or must pass on a film based solely on the film critics judgment of a film's merits and flaws.

Think of it like going to a restaurant you've never been to before with some friends. You can ask your friends what should you order but just because your friends like the squid that doesn't mean you are obligated to order the squid just because they liked it.

I'm not sure why we want to make it some sort of weakness that people would want to find out what is good about a product or what is bad about a product before they buy it. Is researching cars, TVs, GPS units, really a bad thing? So why should it be a bad thing that people want an idea of is a film good or bad before getting in the car and going to buy a ticket?

18. MegatronSupporter

I know it's not free,but still,I think it's a questionable thing to do. And yeah,people can be tight on money,but some have a crap load and act like they
    can't afford to go out and shell out money to see a movie easily when they can. Lastly,movie goers know themselves better than a bunch of strangers
    do who they have never met.

19. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe their time has value.

20. Ash from Carolina

Heck a lot of us are toy collectors around here so that money wasted on a bad movie could have gone toward a nice toy for our collection.

That money thrown away on a ticket for a crappy 3-D movie could have gotten you a nice new Transformer toy instead.