For those that are bilingual

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seeker311, Jun 12, 2014.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Does the English language bug you sometimes in how it's pronounced as opposed to how it's spelled?
    For example, knowing Spanish, I'm used to pronouncing words how they are spelled and certain English words tick me off when they sound differently.
    Such words as "meme", I see it and in my head pronounce it "maymay"

Macgyver, I grew up pronouncing it "macgiver", not macguyver

Other things that bother me is how some pronounciatuons are inconsistent. Like how is it that managetois and Illinois do not end similar in sound?

Anyways, anyone else?

2. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I'm sort of bilingual (I understand more than i speak) and yeah it's funny sometimes when I look at a Spanish text and try reading it. Throws me off cause most vowels are used/stressed versus the English language where have the silent consonants and yadda, yadda.

3. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Eh? But then that be pronounced as "mei-mei"...unless you want to pronounce it phonetically, in which case it would be "mah-y-mah-y".

;) 

4. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

A friend of mine once surmised that the difference between Spanish, English, and French was that you pronounced a Spanish word like it's spelled, rearrange the letter sounds in English, and pronounce the first half of the word in French and replace the second syllable with "unh"

5. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Im not bilingual and English is my native language. And the English language, especially the spelling, still bugs me.

I like languages so imma go full nerd

Imagine the English language as a quirky collector who brings home odds and ends from other languages, and stuffs the new words on the shelf without bothering to change their spelling, grammar, or pronunciation.

There's also the challenge of expressing the number of syllables present in the English language. I'll have to go find the paper when I'm on a PC, but English has a ridiculous number of unique syllables to choose from. Like 4,000 if I remember correctly. For comparison, Japanese has around 400. So to express 4,000 syllables, it's using an alphabet with 26 letters. So you end up re-using sets of letters for more than one sound. (Through, though, dought) And multiple diphthongs end up with the same sounds assigned to them.

Another thing is English is a stress based language. So you can re-use the same word. (I produce the produce.)

Well that was a nice incoherent ramble at 1:20am. X.x

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Why is meme pronounced "meem" but the clothing store Bebe pronounced "beebee?"

7. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Because English hocked it from Greek. Cept it used the spelling of the latter part of the word but assigned it the pronunciation of the first syllable.

Mimeme.

meme

But pronounce it mim (meem)

8. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Ménagetois is French. Illinois, well, I forgot the origin of it. English is a juxtaposition of words from other languages that confuses EVERYONE who learns it. The rules of English have evolved and changed over time. The Latin based languages, in comparison are SO much easier to learn.

9. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Well, when I was 10 and learned english it was kinda puzzling and sometimes it still happens that I pronounce words wrong, when I have never heard them and then I watch a show in english and they say that word and I'm like "Hey... that was word XY... I thought it would be pronounced YZ".

But for most things I have a feeling how to pronounce it. After all I'm speaking english for 23 years now. But sadly mostly in my sparetime. At parties or festivals, when I meet people from foreign countries.

I hate it more, when there are words in my own language that look like english words and I pronounce them english and while reading along I realize it was a german word :lol 

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bilingual, but, yeah, English is frustrating. Consider...
    ought, rough, though, through, cough, and bough.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    There are times when I still feel like I can barely speak english. I learnt french in school. To my eternal shame, I once had a friend who was french, alone in an english speaking country, and I never even bothered to practice what little french I had. In retrospect he probably didn't have much of a clue what I was on about half the time. Just smile and nod was the reaction.

I was one of those arrogant english speakers that never saw much use for other languages and expects everything to be in english everywhere.

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:

13. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

^

Ménage, *points* toé! <--- That's Quebecer or Québecoé!

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Not it's not, Ménage-a-trois is (and you'd be very amused by it's litteral translation). And Illinois is the French form of the local first nations tribe word for "he who speaks the regular way."

My mother though French emersion was very important until I was 10. So I speak it like a slow witted little kid. :lol  Which I blame fully on myself.

15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I don't know the last word. But I would pronounce it like bow. But not like in "bow to the floor" but the bow you use to shoot arrows.

I don't know if it is correct? And what does it mean?

Or did you mean "bought" and forgot the T and I made a fool of myself? :lol 

16. EnergonWaffles

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    You had the pronunciation right.

Bough is another word for tree branch.

17. Wars

Wars I Ate The WHOLE Plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I speak three languages (English, French, Gaelic Irish), and I can't say I've had this problem. English is my first language, and I've been speaking it longer than the other two, so I think I might just be more used to it?

With French, I find trying to remember the 'gender' of each noun, and then in Irish there are so many exceptions to every grammar rule. There are a few words, like Colonel, that annoy me, but not many come to mind..

18. kristaldoodle

kristaldoodle Nutbar

I speak three languages (french, spanish and english) and for the love of everything I mix things up in spanish with french when i start talking at times. So to my cousins down in Mexico start laughing because french and spanish (to me) are similar.

19. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

English is a mess.

20. prime roller

prime roller 昔者莊周夢為胡蝶⋯

News Credits:
    I speak English and Chinese (Mandarin). Chinese doesn't have 'spelling' so it's probably not a fair comparison.
    But yeah, I certainly have been perplexed in the past with how words in English are spelled, something that gets brought to my attention often by my friends here who have studied English.