For how perfect the bee movie is, does it have its flaws?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bay vs knight, May 25, 2022.

1. bay vs knight

bay vs knight Banned

For me, the flaw will be megatron not present in the bee movie, since its a reboot, it wont make sense

• Like Like x 2
  2. Steampunk13

Steampunk13 Scale Charts and PNGs

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Of course it has its flaws. For as great as the Cybertron scene was, everything about it was undeniably rushed and it could've been a lot better if they actually planned to have it in the film originally. I imagine a lot of the G1 redesigns would've been more streamlined looking and capable of transformation in the film if they had been able to take more time on it. We also might've gotten a glimpse at Megs, but I'm kind of glad we haven't seen him yet. I've grown to like the idea of introducing some Unicron aligned villains first in ROTB so that Megs can walk in and completely outclass them as villains in the sequel. Would be a good set up for a future film where Unicron is looking for a replacement Herald. This is all speculation of course though.

Back to the Bee movie, I think the majority of its flaws lie in the human centered activities after Bee's battle with Blitzwing. I didn't dislike Charlie, but she wasn't a particularly interesting human character, in my opinion at least, and many of the supporting human characters around her just kind of bogged the movie down for me. Nothing terrible or anything like that, just little nitpicks that prevent the movie from being perfect in my eyes. What really saved these human scenes for me was the constant implementation of Transformer scenes around them, regardless of how brief they may have been. This often came in the form of Shatter and Dropkick's little status update scenes as they continued the hunt for Bumblebee, but the one who really stole the show with his goofy amnesiac antics was Bee of course. Which makes sense. It's his movie after all.

For a final flaw to pick at, I would say my worst gripe with the film was the complete lack of definitive scale. They gave Bee an official height of 11'6, but he only uses this height in scenes where he needs to be small, and appears to mass shift to a more standard height of 15 feet in other scenes where he needs to be bigger and fight other bots. This 15 foot height fixes a lot of the scale issues that the film would have if otherwise, and it is possible to estimate the heights of other characters by comparing them to Bee, but the lack of official word on the matter has led to so much debating and speculation where there just doesn't need to be any. Some more examples of the scale being funky would be Bee's jeep being much tinier than he is, and Shatter, Dropkick, and Blitzwing all appearing to turn into miniaturized versions of the aircraft they scanned rather than mass shifting into the vehicles at their full size. I don't really have a problem with characters mass shifting or doing other weird size changing tricks, but some acknowledgement of the strange and mostly unexplained phenomenon in universe would be extremely appreciated. The lore is fun and the films should embrace it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    The BBM isn't perfect at all or a masterpiece. It's got flaws to it, just it's also got positives as well. In addition to it being better than the other TF films (or at least ROTF, AOE and TLK). One flaw I have and it's minor but I wish they said Shatter and Dropkicks name.
    The reason for that is cause even though they were changing the movie with reshoots to be more rebooted like. At the time they still didn't know if they should commit to it being a reboot or not. After the movie they did commit to it. Also I just headcanon it as Megatron sent Shockwave, Soundwave, and Starscream to go destroy the Autobots or maybe he's at another battle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steampunk13

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I could definitely see Megs being the one who attacked the Autobot capitol that Arcee lost contact with. It would probably be filled to the brim with Autobot elite guard members and have a ton of important information and important political figures. Makes me wonder if they'll pull an Animated and have Prime be a general or commander of sorts in the war effort rather than the official leader of all Autobots. I kind of doubt it but it would certainly be interesting, especially if they planned to have him rise up after other Autobot leaders are slaughtered.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Didn't think of that, I like that.
    If I were to guess they'll probably keep Prime for those that bear the Matrix and are the leader/commander of the Autobots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steampunk13

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Agreed. He clearly has the Matrix in the film so it would be a little odd if he wasn't a huge leader figure already.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bay vs knight

bay vs knight Banned

And the thing compared to the bay films is that there are no continuity errors

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steampunk13

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    To be fair tho, this new story telling universe only has one film so far. Right now we can only hope that future films will remain consistent and not contradict and retcon each other.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Certainly. I'd say they are:
    *Making Peter Cullen perform his voice-over recording in accordance with Jon 3.0's - NOT COOL! And there's a clip where Peter complains about this on YouTube; He also rightfully takes issue (along with Frank Welker) with how Netflix was too damn cheap to pay them to do VO work for the Netflix cartoon; Gary Chalk and other BW Voice actors also rightfully complained about the Netflix thing;
    *No Megatron - then again, this is due to the fact that originally it was a bayverse prequel-until the last failure tanked, causing Travis Knight & Co. to make a few 11th-hour decisions in an effort to distance itself from the Bayverse; There was concept art of a G1-esque Megs frozen at Hoover Dam;
    *Memo-he really doesn't do much of anything in the movie-and Charlie really didn't need him, at the end of the day;
    *Shatter & Dropkick's ends - why not have them actually escape harmed, to Cybertron, instead of the Decepticons buying the farm for the umpteenth time?;
    *Blitzscream - Yes, I know they couldn't do an exact color-scheme replica of his former namesake, (as well as the whole trademark thing)- yet he looks and transforms exactly like G1 Starscream-at least Travis Knight apologized at Comic-Con for this, unlike 2 others who shall not be named;
    *BB turning into a Camaro at the end - Due to (IIRC) the contract Chevy stipulated, as well as again the redundant reluctance for certain members of the production team not making a firm delineation on where this film stands, even though 90% of the film itself shows it's a reboot;
    *Releasing it when they did - This led to a slow reception by many filmgoers.

I'm sure there may be more. My :2c: .

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Steampunk13

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I really hope they don’t forget about Shatter and Dropkick. They were fun characters that I would love to see more of in either prequels or other media. It would also be nice if the triple changer Blitzwing+Shatter+Dropkick theory ends up becoming a reality. This new series has a ton of potential so it would be a damn shame if they wasted even a little bit of it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TF Hot Rod

News Credits:
    Agreed, I really hope we see them again both in flashbacks, prequel material and in non-movie stuff like maybe Legacy or a new show.

Also that triple changer theory would be cool to happen. Maybe he also has 3 faces as well (maybe they are Blitzwing, Shatter and Dropkicks face’s). I could see it being Shockwave doing a mad scientist/Frankeinstein’s monster experiment to create the first triple changer and make a bot that isn’t a one into 1.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The biggest flaw with it is definitely the amnesia story, Bumblebee could still not be able to leave if they play up the PTSD angle from losing his voice, he at first could be closed off but slowly opens up to Charlie, plus we could maybe learn more about Bumblebee prior to the war through charades or Bee playing music.

Like the scene in Justice League vs Fatal Five movie when Jessica Cruz/Green Lantern struggles even opening her front door due to witnessing strangers disposing of a dead body while with her friends, her friends are killed, and she survives, but develops PTSD and survivor's guilt.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I love the Bumblebee movie, but wouldn't say it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I think Memo's character could have been written better, and I wish Bumblebee himself was able to talk and/or retain his memories during the main story. I don't really have a problem with the amnesia plot, but maybe there could have been more emphasis on Charlie trying to help Bee regain his memories. As it is, a fair chunk of the movie kind of forgets Bee's mission. The movie works as a nice slice-of-life story, but I do think it could have used a bit more drive.

I don't really get too hung up on stuff like the lack of Megatron. I suppose it would have been fun to see him, but it wouldn't have improved the quality of the film at all. I don't really judge movies based on stuff like lore, cameos, or accuracy to source material. I judge them based on whether the story was engaging, the plot was well-constructed, the characters were likable...stuff like that. Unless Megatron had some kind of role that would have improved the story, I don't see why his inclusion would help the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Steampunk13

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Completely agreed bro. I’ve heard some people speculate that it would be Sector 7 that makes a triple changer Blitzwing, but I would much prefer Shockwave show off his mad scientist skills in the films for once.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProfessionalIcee

ProfessionalIcee I have a fear of places so I want to change shape.

Did Dropkick ever dropkick someone? If not then I’d say that’s one major flaw.

• Like Like x 4
  16. JonzyYT

JonzyYT Studio Series is great again!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Speaking of flaws, I remember watching the movie last year and I paused it to go get food. When I got back, I noticed something which looked familiar to me, it was a sticker on Charlie's bedroom wall of a British Airways 747. However, it was the current livery that the airline uses, which was not introduced until 1997.

I'll try and find a screencap from the movie of that moment and I'll post it here. Below is the livery we see in the movie, and below that is the one that should've been used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Sablebot

Well, the thing is, we were shown that Shatter & Dropkick were killed, and there's probably not enough left of Blitzwing left to resurrect him. They were interesting characters, though. . .Especially Shatter & Dropkick. . .

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The movie is far from perfect, but the only thing that really bothers me is the "Bee goes bad" scene. It's a shameless ripoff of the Iron Giant and makes no sense in this movie. In TIG Giant was designed to be a mindless war machine and experiencing trauma reverted him to his original programming, but Hogarth was able to get him to choose who he wanted to be. It was the culmination of the Giant's entire character arch of choosing to be a hero and not a weapon. Bumblebee isn't a mindless war machine, as demonstrated at the beginning of the film, so him getting his memories back turning him into a red-eyed murderbot makes no sense. It's not like he had red eyes on Cybertron, and it's not like Charlie has to convince him to go good nor does it do anything to complete his character arch. It's a very unnecessary scene that was done just for drama when it should've been as simple as Bumblebee remembering who he was and just efficiently escaping S7. In fact I would've saved him getting his memories back for when he fights Dropkick, and partway through that fight he gets them back and starts fighting him for effectively.

• Like Like x 10
  19. Sablebot

This mute bee bull$#@% should have never been a part of these movies. Yet, Spielberg dictated that. . .One of the most asinine choices the filmmakers made with the character. . .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Turborun

Turborun Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't think it was one of Dreamworks best works and I personally thought the whole romantic relationship between a bee and a human woman was kind of weird. The bee puns were also kind of overkill. Still, Jerry Seinfeld gave a pretty decent performance given what he had to work with...

Wait, which Bee Movie are we talking about?

• Like Like x 5