For a Starscream and Ratchet female incarnation

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Titanium12, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Titanium12

Titanium12 Active Member

I know many will hate it, but who else would like a Starscream and Ratchet female pretender shell if Hasbro did Pretenders toys once more? (Since they do Combiners and Headmasters maybe the Pretenders are next)

I mean honestly I just don't think robots should be male or female but the avatar they use like holo matter avatars or pretender shells could be, like in the comics. Bud Budiansky once said he first created genders on the first Transformers but was forced to let go of the idea since his bosses and sexism at the time often forbid female characters for a boys' toy line and they told him to stop. Female only appeared later in the cartoon as love interests.

But we know that Ratchet was called 'she' on the design sheet while having the role of the caretaker like all good 80' females (and was inspired by a female, the nurse from One flew over the cuckoo's nest) and Starscream was nicknamed Pretty Poison (which is quite feminine and later used on Thunderblast while Starscream's was changed to Silver Snake (why that change if not to change gender?)) while having some quite feminine traits that an evil 80' female character would have (speed over strength, putting importance on appearance and like most evil female characters of the time, not being loyal). Starscream even had some physical female traits as well and a high pithed voice. So they should do what was first intended and make Starscream and Ratchet female Pretenders bodies.

Instead of adding new female characters and trying to fit them into the story, okay they can do it but also, they should repair that injustice and make those important characters, females as they were intended to be, at least their Pretender bodies or holo avatar since it may offend less people than completely turning them back into females. Beside Starscream was female in the French version of the 1986 movie and Slipstream doesn't come from nowhere.

2. LynKey

LynKey Well-Known Member

I like the idea of female Starscream. I don´t care what version.
    I´m not sure about Ratchet.
    Since the difference is just voice actor and pronouns, I wouldn´t mind random choices.

3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde The dreaded

News Credits:
    I think that a sex swap of these characters could work theoretically, and even be done well, but I still don't see the point of it, though. Could we have a male Arcee or Elita-One? Would people be okay with that? I think rather than changing (For no real reason) existing characters, why not make new ones instead? A Ratchet-like character and a Starscream-like character respectively.

I'd like to see, just as a social experiment, if we had a character like Starscream from Transformers Prime, but who was female instead. Would people be okay with her being constantly beaten up and abused by Megatron? Would it be portrayed as comedic or deadly serious? Would they be satisfied if she was incompetent, narcissistic, cowardly, narrowminded and maybe not that intelligent over-all? Or would they say that was somehow offensive?

When the time comes where we can have "fembots" that are no-good pieces of shit, child-like and naive, Clueless, overly aggressive and hateful, bigoted and ignorant, egotistical and vain, fodder, FLAWED Beings, without people calling it offensive, throwing a fit and taking issues with it, maybe then I'll feel differently about randomly changing the sex of existing male characters.

Just a thought.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 12
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    TFA tried this with Slipstream (a female clone of Starscream) and Red Alert (who was intended to be a female Ratchet).

One was successful, the other was okay.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't make Starscream female. For the simple reason is Megatron tends to beat the shit out of him. Imagine the freaking out that would happen when Megatron starts slapping a woman around.

• Like Like x 15
  6. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Strange Little Man

I don't know about Starscream, as I do admire the fact that he is a male character who displays many traditionally female qualities, while still (usually) being treated like a serious threat to the protagonists. I think if they were going to change the gender of one of the main Decepticons, I think I'd rather see Soundwave changed. I don't know why, I just think it would be more interesting than making Starscream female.
    As for Ratchet, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a female incarnation of Ratchet, just so long as they kept the old Doc-Bot's personality intact, especially seeing as we've progressed from "boys don't wanna play with girl toys" to a world where we have Arcee and Strongarm playing larger roles and Windblade and Victorion being hyped up.

7. Robert Snoke

Robert Snoke Gundam Gusion

even though its a trademark name only, funny enough, we have a male Slipstream who is an Autobot & also a Minicon in the 2015 RID cartoon.

8. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I'd like both of those as well.

Also a male Airazor who is also a minicon in the same cartoon. Not sure why they used the names of female characters for male minicons.

9. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

I laughed when I read this didn't even think about the whole getting a beat down from Megatron thing.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Bumblebee and Whirl had female avatars in idw.
    I'm pretty sure Bumblebee also had a female one in the first Devil's Due Joe/TF crossover.
    His G1 mold was used for the female Glyph.

I'd like to see idw Arcee before Jhiaxus made her his bitch in more ways than one and find out what she was called.

Slipstream is the closest we'll get to the perfect female Starscream.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I wouldn't object to it.

Ratchet was supposed to be a woman originally, I mean he was named after Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

I never understood the point of random genderswaps for the sake of having more female characters since most of the fans (and people outside the fanbase) are usually gonna remember the original. I don't hate it, but it always seemed kinda... odd.

13. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I have the slipstream that is the transformers prime starscream figure with the new head and awesome paint job. Great figure and F16 alt mode is awesome!

14. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

A female Ratchet could work. I mean, Ratchet WAS intended to be female in the original production bible. And a hardass fembot medic would be interesting.

15. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

Wasn't there technically a female Starscream in Transformers Animated?

EDIT: Yup - this guy knows more than me and I should try reading the full page rather than skimming. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Titanium12

Titanium12 Active Member

I don't approve of this reason that beating a woman would offend people, Megatron is evil so who cares? He is supposed to do evil things. I mean they even stopped from showing Joker and Harley abusive relationship because they couldn't show a woman being beaten in Suicide Squad. They should show it, Joker is evil as well and Starscream does look for trouble far more than Harley does. It would be bad if they showed Optimus beating Elita1 or Captain America beating his love interest but Optimus and Captain America are good characters. And I'm tired of that reason that you don't beat a woman, even evil women can't get beaten without people crying. They would have had a female antagonist in one of the Iron Man movies if people had not cried for not beating a woman. They took away a good important role for a female character because of their supposed good principles. That's scornful to females since it shows them as being inferior and not worth confronting. Good people will not beat anyone (male or female) for nothing unless needed and bad people will beat anyone.
    As for showing a coward female character with many flaws, I think it would add to female repertory since all female characters have a less wider array of personalities (as with appearance, can't be ugly, can't be fat, can't be old): she can't be coward, she can't be stupid, she can't be whatever. She has to be perfect. It leaves a small inventory for female personalities. She is sweet and kind or strong and courageous, nothing else. More developed characters are needed for females. I think that's the cartoon and toys glass ceiling.

Yes it's good to have male characters act like females, I myself fight against those stereotypes. I love that males shows supposedly females characteristics and vice versa but its mostly the fact that I would have liked Starscream and Ratchet to be recognized since it would be acknowledging what they first were intended to be even if not sold like this and I hated how they often not sold the few females of a series or in this case completely suppressed it. So they should repair that by recognizing those two as females (not put twenty more females, they can but it has nothing to do with it).
    Yes, Starscream somehow goes into that female representation stereotype with his creation (and I'm arguing that he was intended to be female because of those female characteristics but remember it was the early eighties, males would not be represented like that with nicknames like Pretty Poison, females were) but Starscream was developed even more because they didn't see him as female anymore or else he would have stayed like Airachnid who is less developed (in my opinion) and is mostly purely an evil treacherous Decepticon.
    Like keeping Ratchet's personality intact, it still implies that a female will act a certain way and not be allowed to act some ways Ratchet would have.

With all I said, I think not only Ratchet was intended to be female but Starscream as well. And yes TFAnimated may have tried to show it with both of them but not directly.

They should do like they did in Jem, Jetta was originally intended to be black but became white in the first series due to the fact that no evil characters should be black (so no black Misfit) then came back black now in the new comics. Colored people have the same problems as females, their characters are very restricted. On the contrary putting females and black people in many mold is better than leaving them being the eternal kind and wise sidekick. Instead of being stopped because of the abused or stereotyped thing it should open a wider horizon for all kind of characters. For Jetta it worked so for Starscream and Ratchet it should work as well and I would like Hasbro to recognize those characters as having being first created females. If they had not added females later, I would be fine since they should all be genderless but since they did, they should recognize and make them females. At least in one series.

As I said, a pretender or holomatter avatar would be good, not entirely making them females but not making too much people rant.

• Like Like x 1
  17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The people who rate and censor children's television (and anything else, for that matter), that's who. It's beyond the control of Hasbro or anyone they license their shows to. "Violence toward women" automatically gets you a harsher content rating.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly TFA Drag Strip, I think is more memorable than the G1 version.

19. Megatronus the Fallen

Megatronus the Fallen The First Decepticon

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I wouldn't mind a gender swapped Starscream.

20. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Which was successful?