Food dehydrators.. who has one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Dec 26, 2012.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bought a food dehydrator a few weeks ago. The WM I work at had some for $59 (marked down from $90). I love it so far. Made several batches of beef jerky. Damn does it taste good.

Also did some apples which turned out very well. Dehydrated about 4 so far and just bought four more as well as cinnamon to try out on it. You get A LOT from two apples. ever see the dehydrated apple chips in a small bag for about $4? That might be about 1 apple. I've done 2 apples at a time and filled a quart bag full. Very tasty.

The weirdest thing I've tried so far is sandwich slice pickles. It worked and it is pretty good. Real strong flavor at start that mellows and leaves a pleasant taste at the end.

If you love jerky, you should look into one. Easy to do. Came with a caulk gun apparatus. You take 1 pound of 85%+ lean ground beef (the leaner the better), mix in a spice packet and a cure packet. Once it is mixed put it in the caulk gun tube, put the type of tip you want your jerky to be (small round tube, 2 small flat strips, or one large flat strip), then squeeze it onto the trays. Turn dehydrator on at 165 F and set. Every hour or so pat with a paper towel to remove oil. A few hours later and you got jerky. I've done original and mesquite. Mesquite can have a big kick to it. Also can make jerky from non ground beef. just add spice and cure to some water and soak cuts of meat in it before dehydrating.

I need to retry the fruit roll up again. My first attempt didn't turn out well. I drained the juice and only did pineapple chunks. Think it was too thick to do well. Will try crushed pineapple for it next time instead of rings cut up.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Jerky from ground meat just sounds gross, sorry.

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

huh. sounds interesting.

is it easy to use?

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    My parents have had one for many years. Every so often my dad will bring over a few pounds of jerky. He hasn't done the ground method yet(which, though it sounds gross, is basically the flat Jack Links style, and is really awesome), but always gets a roast and has the butcher slice it super thin. Can;t get enough of the stuff.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    We have one and its very easy to use. We've made jerky, fruit rollups, and dried fruit

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you aren't making banana chips hang your head in shame.

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

banana chip?! oh god i haven't those in years. me want!

8. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Have you had one of those flat Slim Jim's? It is like one of those. The ground beef jerky is excellent. It is a beef stick.

The machine couldn't be easier to use. It has a temp knob and that is it. Set to the right temp and plug it in. Set it and just check back every so often. Could not be easier. The real work is coring the apple, skinning it then slicing it up.

To make a fruit roll, you purée fruit, and pour it in the plastic tray provided. Some stuff cooks real fast (jerky 4-5 hours, apples <4) while others take a lot longer (citrus fruits).

9. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Actually one of the best things I've ever had camping was dried ground beef. It was a gravelly powder that looked like crap, but once it sat in warm water for a bit it came back to life and made backpacking much less crappy.

10. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Make jerky from some New York Strip.....................OMG style its friggin good.

Deer jerky is awesome as well. Just don't tell bleeding hearts its Bambi :lol 

11. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We got a dehydrator for Christmas...haven't used it yet...definitely going to make some jerky soon...

12. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

Dehydrator eh? Interesting. Want.

13. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Too true.........That's about the only thing I ever liked out of these machines. :thumb 

Not sure if she still does it but I have a friend who used to make her own trail mix...yummo.

14. rattrap007

News Credits:
    dehydrating two apples at the moment looked at a bag of them at work and it was about $2-3. Considering how much I can make from two apples, I'd say that was about 1 whole apple. I can make more for less than that. Trying some with cinnamon on them this time.

I need to retry the fruit roll up again. Last time it didn't work. Probably because I used pinapple rings and drained the juice before blending. It made a very thick liquid. Will try some crushed pineapple and put the juice in too before blending.

15. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Got one for the sole purpose of making jerky. And maaan I make some awesome jerky.

16. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I have one and just made a batch of jerky. Oh yeah!

17. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Bang Bang

we have one. Every year we make some spicy beef jerky and some bana chips to go with our homemade dill pickles

18. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Tried making two new fruit roll up type things. One is pineapple and coconut. Turned out fairly well. The other one (a few bananas and a orange) I used too much oil on the tray so I flipped the roll to try and dry the other side. It is thinker and not really leathery. Still looks fairly yummy. These roll ups are the more pain in the ass things to make.

So far the jerky is fantastic as well as dried apples out the wazoo.