FOC Voyager Grimlock Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by unicronic, Dec 16, 2012.

1. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    would like to know this myself...

2. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got mine today after a long wait. Great figure. Yes, I'll admit he's a little on the hollow side. I think the light piping rocks, I just happened to have him setting on the desk this afternoon, sun shined right through the back illuminating the chest up. Definitely a good representation of our G1 hero. I really like the energon sword and shield, more weapons need to be made with translucent plastic. I found the perfect weapons upgrade for him, the axe from DOTM Fireburst voyager OP, little bit lighter orange but it has similar pattern to shield and figure ("light" areas). I thought about stealing Classics Grimlock deluxes weapons especially the tail whip. I also saw another cutom with FOC Sideswipe's gun, oh the possibilities. He is a tough figure to get to stand, those leg joints are a little odd. The chest emblem kicks ass. T Rex made is cool too.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FINALLY got my hands on this guy...everyone who said this was a bad toy had me worried, really worried. All for nothing, because I love this guy, and he's nowhere near as bad or hollow as I was led to believe (or at least: what my mind made out of the critism).

Mind you, I'm not saying the people who didn't like this toy are wrong, it's just that I don't agree with the sentiments at all.

Mine is sturdy..legs are hollow but strong. His gaps are filled up in robot mode, and it's only in dino mode where he's entirely empty - and even then things lock into place to cover that up.

Maybe it's because I was used to Animated Grimlock, where things DIDN'T lock, and had a head peeking out, but I'm perfectly happy with his dino mode.

The only critism from me is the awkward shoulder joints in robot mode, but I'm already getting used to those. :) 

<3

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I saw him on a store shelf for the first time today so I grabbed him on impulse, and goddamn if he isn't the shittiest TF I've bought in recent memory. He's the first TF I actually regret wasting the money on.

His transformation is simplified to stupidity, his dino mode looks goofy as hell and has next to no articulation, he's hollow and just feels cheap, he's just all-around yuck.

I wanted him to replace my generation Grimlock but that's not going to happen.

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    ^ I felt exactly the same when I got the Takara one recently. Absolutely disappointed in how shit it felt, one of the worst in a long time, especially for 70 bucks! I was hoping that Planet X would make one of their own, but looking unlikely atm :( 

6. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried to warn ya...but too many told me to "STFU"

FOC Grimlock is still my biggest TF regret, and it was only $25...Hold any of the triplers next to Grimlock and you will be wondering how they screwed it up so bad..I cant think of a worse voyager.

7. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    For those that have the Takara version:

Two questions:

1.) Is anyone else's gold paint rubbing off real easily? Like, I'm being quite gentle just handling the thing with clean hands and the paint just wears off and edges on his sculpted chest.

2.) are his black shoulder parts that move out from his chest supposed to be loose? I end up having to fold his dinosaur arms in against these pieces just so they stay out/forward in robot mode.

Overall, I'm not sure if I'm impressed. He is hollow, which makes his plastic feel cheap, even though in other areas where it is thicker, it doesn't. I think the plastic only feels cheap because it is so thin. I am also a bit disappointed that his black shoulder thingies don't have anywhere to lock into for robot mode. That right there is just a shitty design that should have been addressed during the creation of this product. Also, I had to screw in the screw that holds his pelvis and legs together because mine was not fully screwed in from the factory. And I might have to glue in a different screw because it appears it might have been stripped from the factory.

Right now the only thing saving this toy is that he looks better than Hasbro's and he lights up.

I want to like this toy, but day by day I'm feeling regret. Please help.

8. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cant help ya bro...

money aside, FOC Grimlock is my biggest "in hand" TF disappointment in recent memory.

9. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm not at all disappointed with mine, but then again, mine have 8+ coats of paint on them XD

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have any of the above issues dude. I checked the gold paint on mine and it seems fine.

As for the black shoulder thingy - it doesn't seems to lock into place but mine's tight and it doesn't move in bot mode.

11. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    If the gold is coming off, give it a coat of future polish. Works great!

Also, add a little detail to the shields!
    [​IMG]

12. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  13. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Dammit, if I liked SG I'd even make a SG grimlock. Or Wait... maybe a BW grimlock... hmm...

[​IMG]

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Well, I just bought one of these and I'm massively disappointed with it.

Plastic is light and thin and feels fragile. Most of the joints are loose. There are stressmarks everywhere, especially around all the pins. The main pins in both lower legs are driven in badly so they're at a slight angle and don't actually come out where they should do. I can't even knock the pins out to put them in correctly because they don't come all the way through. It all just means things don't line up as well as they should for transformation into the tail.
    I can barely bend the knees either because those crappy molded ratchets they decided to use don't have enough 'give' to them and I feel if I apply the required pressure to move them they could break the already scarily stressed black pinned parts around them. Not to mention the lower legs feel so fragile I can't find a 'safe' place to hold them to apply that pressure to bend the knees without feeling like I could break the lower leg in some way.

I did take it back to the store to try and exchange it for a less crappy one, but I could see through the box windows they were all as bad as each other. Mine actually appears to have been the best example they had out of the eight or so on the shelf. That's a really sad state of affairs.

I'm still keeping it because I do like the overall look of the figure, but I'm saddened because I know it's just going to sit on my shelf untouched because the mechanical execution of the design, materials and assembly have conspired to make the figure feel like if I handled it regularly like I do my other display figures it will likely break sooner rather than later through no real fault of my own.

This figure really does feel like all the quality downsides of TF figures in recent years rolled into one.

This thing makes even the flimsiest of TFP/BH Voyagers feel rock solid by comparison.

Bummer.

15. primelock LSC

primelock LSC TITAN

i had mine for a few months, everything is tight and solid. i think hasbro rushed this guy because of the video game hype imo. but not a bad figure, could be better but with all the 3p stuff coming out most of those issues probably have been addressed. and hey you never know they might give us a better idw grimlock and the rest of the dinobots. i doubt it but here's to wishful thinking. lol

and btw isn't idw grimlock and team the same as foc grimlock? im just asking because i dont know and they look the same.

16. primelock LSC

primelock LSC TITAN

i mean that new prime beast hunters idw comic with the dinobots.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no idea dude but I'm satisfied with mine also. I have the TakaraTomy and the Platinium version and if I can find the regular version at a reasonable price, I'll pick it up too. I also ordered the Iron Works (can't recall the actually name) set. I don't mind the hollow belly but I got the kit to make him look more like the G1 version.

I hope after the TF4 movie, we get the rest of the original Dinobots. We need a new Slag, Sludge, Snarl and Swoop!

18. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

Picked up FoC Grimlock in the thrilling 30 two pack, lot of his ratchet joints are tight as heck and most joints seem tight, his right arm though in robot mode, likes to swing forward pretty easily, also really like the gold paint they gave him and the light in the head.

19. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fiddled with my Takara one yesterday after ages and despite the flimsy plastic it looks so damn bad ass. Would love to get the bellywings kit. Undecided if I'd want the Artek upgrade or Z's. Both have awesome headmolds in their own way.

20. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Get the Iron Factory addon kit. Makes him look waaaaay better in alt mode, and robot mode is more g1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]