Flexible plastic- any cases of problems?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    We all know about cases of rubber tires cracking and falling off. This is an immensely disappointing moment for any Transformers fan but that's a discussion for another thread. I'm more interested in the toys (particularly those that have come along since the late 1990s) that have sections of flexible/rubberized plastic.

I recently pulled out Transmetal2 Megatron (Ultra Class dragon) and Transmetal2 Dinobot (Deluxe) and found that their flexible plastic sections have seemingly not deteriorated at all...which, at least in the case of that awesome Megatron dragon, great news. There are quite a few guys in my collection that use this material...so far, I have had absolutely no problems. Generations Rhinox is one I'm keeping an eye on but after 2+ years of regular handling, he's still perfect. Nevertheless, every time I see a review on a newer toy with a flexible section, the reviewer casts doubt on the longevity of this material...what is this based on?

Have you guys had problems? If so, which figures have failed? Is this all based on bitter memories of G1 Shockwave's rubber hose? Are people extrapolating based on their experience with RiD (2000) tires falling off?

Any thoughts are welcome. Transmetal 2 Dinobot, supple plastic or not, is still a very weird figure.

2. Dachande

Dachande Very Hank. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless there's notarized, photographed, documented and published proof, it doesn't happen. Nope. Never.

The tread hose on my SDCC BH Shockwave is cracking a bit at the first 'bend', but that's the ONLY experience I've had with softer plastic pieces deteriorating, and I honestly think it's because of the stress that piece is under.
    But then again, I have no photo evidence, so I must be imagining it.

Incidentally, and more to the subject, I've never had a Beast Wars figure break due the to the soft plastic. That stuff is durable!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I believe that all forms of plastic are in danger of crumbling, one day.

But a while ago I did a review of a figure that was made of a revolutionary new material, that was both solid and unless mistreated won't ever degrade!

Puzzleman, 3rd party not Punch/Counterpunch review!

;) 

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Movie Allspark Battles Legends Scorponok's tail stinger is notorious for hardening, then breaking, after only a few months.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dachande

News Credits:
    The Legends one?
    I thought that was more because of GPS than anything else because it isn't soft plastic.
    The deluxe has soft plastic, but none of mine ever showed any degradation.

6. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Nevermore, that one sounds familiar...It's this one, right?

Good question. I don't have either one but now I'm not sure if that mid-tail section is flexible or not.

Attached Files:

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Movie Scorponoks stiff tail wasn't GPS, it was a plasticiser manufacturing error. Quote from TFWiki...

Legends Scorponok's tail stinger, originally soft and bendy, tends to harden after a while and then becomes prone to breaking. While the stinger is made of a gold plastic type, the cause for this problem appears to be the use of an inferior plasticizer rather than traditional Gold Plastic Syndrome.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dachande

News Credits:
    Huh. Good information.