Fleshing out characters...(transformers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by gbm, May 19, 2014.

1. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

I don't care as much about this issue considering they only have about 2:30hours of film to shove all of that into and all the CGI gets expensive.

2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Yes i do like the human element, and heck the human characters in AOE are the only new characters i am looking foward in seeing, dont care for Lockdown, Crosshairs, Hound, etc (even DInobots despite being an huge Dinosaur lover). the only Transformers i am looking foward is Optimus and Bumblebee (and to some extent Ratchet and Brains). i'd only care for Galvatron if he's Megatron.

but correction, i dont recall ever saying its easier to relate to human characters, i do remember seeing that, but i think it was another guy who said that, not me, but i could be wrong, but from what i recall i never said that. after all i am able to relate to non-human characters on various other films

3. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube (Legacy):
    This right here is the reason we have the military, and the human characters.

Well, actually, we have human characters because it's a live action movie. If it was a movie only about the CGI things on the screen, why not make it a fully-animated film?

4. payton22molen

payton22molen Well-Known Member

I have to disagree. We have already seen so much of Prime and Bumblee that I am starting to get sick of them. The only reason I don't absolutely hate them right now is because of their new designs... plus I'm curious about the whole 'Stinger/Bee' thing. I would love to see Drift and Crosshairs. I am 95 percent sure that the dinobots besides Grimlock are gonna be crappy characters.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    well thats just my opinion, but i respect your opinion

6. samurai drift

samurai drift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought dark of the moon did a very good job I like sentinel prime time and Optimus, judging from trailer I can see we will be getting a lot of robot decent time!!! I love the autobot group scenes their always awesome. And I like the human side of the story too

7. samurai drift

samurai drift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your awesome eagc7 it good to see some fans like the human side too, I can tell Cade is going to be an awesome character a fresh new start.

8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. If the designs were toned down to IDW, or WFC level of detail, they could have a lot more screen time, probably even a whole movie.
    I happen to like having a human element, but only if the humans are likeable, and take a backseat to the robots.

9. AwesomePrime211

AwesomePrime211 #Bionicle2015

To be fair, they've toned them down quite a bit...

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Maybe drop a few human characters to free up more time then? There are always human scenes in these films that feel like they should've been cut out long before ever being filmed.

Anyway, many other films seem able to handle decently introducing and fleshing out a lot of characters within the span of a movie running time. And the BayFormers movies are often longer than most other movies. You don't need half an hour to introduce, establish and then develop a character. A few short well-crafted lines of dialogue or action can do wonders. Unfortunately Bay struggles to do any well-crafted character stuff. Often because he's busy concentrating his efforts on the wrong things.
    I really don't understand why there aren't scenes with Transformers talking more in alt mode, either to each other or to humans (occupants or whatever). It would be like the cheapest and easiest way to expand character time and development for the TF. Plus Bay gets to spend more time with his beloved cars.

TFs talking in alt mode has been a mainstay of every TF series and yet it's very rare in BayFormers. Is Bay worried about the 'Knight Rider' aspect of a talking car in live-action? Personally I like Knight Rider.

11. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

I have to agree with this. I hate how all the Autobots instantly go mute as soon as they turn into their vehicle modes. The only time I remember them talking was the Twins in the ice cream truck mode at the start of ROTF.

That and Starscream communicating with Rampage in ROTF, and the Decepticons checking in with each other before they go after the cube in the first movie.

It's a waste of potential character development or just a little more banter and dialogue for them.

12. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I think a lot of your complaints about Movie haters stem from the idea that they're just complaining because the grass always seems greener on the other side. But you're ignoring the fact that a much larger percentage of the fans would be happy with the films if they simply met higher quality standards. I guarantee, if '07 had come out with smartly written characters, and good humor, and designs that evoked the originals more closely, I'm sure a larger number of the fan base would have been pleased. And many of the new fans would have still been attracted! Maybe even non-fans who weren't enthralled with what we got, and would've preferred a smarter movie!

The truth is, these movies are hacky storytelling efforts, and hacky storytelling efforts often don't (and shouldn't) please all their viewers.

13. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    I concur.

14. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Holy shit! I was just thinking "I really should reply to Ephland on that character thread, although with any luck Galvy's picked it up already" and look!! :D 

The thing with Sentinel and Lazerbeak, yeah they did get good screen time, with interesting scenes (albeit without any development) and they are a couple of jewels if the Movieverse ever gets a crown, but their scenes are so sparse amidst a sea of uninteresting plot points, tin foil villains, messy direction, underused good TFs, and annoying human characters, that yeah, those two don't seem to get enough glory! People complained about Darth Maul having 11 minutes of screen time, because the other 2 hours of the movie were dire shit. If he'd have had 11 minutes amongst empire strikes back, it would have been the icing on the cake and nobody would have thought about it. Jeez how much do people like boba Fett and he basically does nothing, but he's a badass, because Darth Vadar respects him, and that's good enough for us!

I apologise for any annoying grammar mistakes or missing words! I'm on an iPhone, I've had a couple beers, and I'm standing on a train! Picture the scene!

Oh and it turns out, I like Star Wars! Ha

15. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

No I'm just saying that the movies seem to have focused way to heavily on the humans and didn't have enough Transformer screen time. I enjoy all he movies I just would of like to see a little but more of the Transformers for this new movie.

16. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    First off, I wasn't complaining about anything or anyone, and I certainly didn't label anyone as a "movie hater." I was making an observational statement that despite whatever content actually appears in the movies, it will not meet the standards that some people have.

That is not an insult and not an attack. The furthest I took it was to say it was a "problem."

No, I'm not ignoring that "fact" at all. Not only is that a completely obvious statement, "more people would like the films if they were better," but it's an irrelevant statement as well, at least in response to my post. You're speaking in hypothetical terms, whereas I actually quoted something someone said to make my point.

That's true. It's also - again - completely irrelevant to my point. My point was that no matter how "good" or "correct" the movies are, there will still be people who criticize them or say they are "bad or "wrong." While I appreciate you pointing out that any improvements would be met with approval by a greater number of people, in no way does that disprove or counter my point that there are people who will never think these movies are done properly.

You are really fixated on this.

Great. Thanks.

you don't seem to know what character development is.

17. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Enlighten me?! (Even though it was a very minor point you picked up on there!)

18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Ok. You said:

According to you:

Boba Fett in Star Wars

Does basically nothing + Darth Vader respects him = he is a badass and has received acceptable characterization

Sentinel Prime in DOTM

Important piece of the plot + directly involved in numerous scenes (action and dialogue) + Optimus Prime respects him = has not received acceptable characterization

You seem to have a wavering criteria on what constitutes characterization.

19. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    What do you mean? I never said Boba Fett had character development. My point was that he didn't. But there was no part in empire where you got bored and thought, if only boba would turn up and disintegrate something. In DOTM I was like, who the fuck are these Russians, I could be watching sentinel right now.

So anyway. Character development wasn't really my point, but You latched onto to it so, enlighten me? What don't I know? How did lazerbeak's character develop? You don't have to convince me to like him, I already do, but what was the difference between his character at the start, and at the end of DOTM?

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    None of that is how you came across originally. Quite the opposite.

Again, I was going off of how you came across, and explained that in my previous post. And you did bring development into it.

Well, for starters, he wasn't just "random Decepticon." The audience didn't have to assume that he was "bad" just because he wasn't an Autobot. We were shown, through action and dialogue, what he was capable of.