Fleshing out characters...(transformers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by gbm, May 19, 2014.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I'm sure this conversation already exists somewhere in one of the many movie threads....but I was wondering if anyone else feels this way:

I'm hoping that they give sufficient time to flesh out some of the Transformer characters in this movie...and not just pull a "Que"; where he has 3 lines, and then gets shot dead.

They all look so damn cool that I'd love get some depth with them.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This has always been my big issue with the movie series as a whole.

I don't care about Sam Whiggitywhack and his harem.

This new movie...it might actually fix my transgressions with the series.

3. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

I'm hoping this movie doesn't focus too heavily on the humans and has more focus on the Transformers themselves..after all it is called Transformers and not "humans".

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

This! THIS! THIS is the probably one of the biggest reasons why I don't like the movie series, and I'm always mouthing out against them.
    I want a Transformers which focus on the....wait for it.......the Transformers.
    I understand if Sam is going to be our main human character, and if a lot of film time is dedicated to him, but I want the rest of the movie to focus on the....wait for.....the Transformers.

This is what drives me over the edge, 'the movieverse is the best Transformers series ever!'
    Really? Seriously?
    I watch Transformers bc I want to see the Autobots battle against the Decepticons.
    I don't want to watch Sam overact like a monkey.
    I don't want to watch dogs humping.
    I don't want ass shots of gorgeous women...well okay, maybe just a little of that,
    but I don't care how many donuts some fat guy can eat (did that guy even have a name in the movie?).
    And I don't care about NEST (AKA) G.I. Joe Light Draft (not I don't mind the Autobots teaming up with the military, but they're not the reasons why I watch the movies)
    I want to watch the Transformers.

Now to its credit, DOTM did a better job with character development. Laserbeak was probably the most fleshed out Decepticon in all of the movies; he had a distinct personality, where most of the Decepticons were just growly monsters.
    And Sentinel was somewhat complex, at least for a little while.

I hope AOE focuses on better character dev, I really do, but this movie franchise has lowered all of my expectations that we'll get to see much.

5. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan LoK Ventura

News Credits:
    This. Although I'm not so confident AOE will fix these problems. It might. But I thought that about each movie before it came out.

I think the only consolation will be that we actually have decent leading actor this time.

6. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 potato quality is alive and well in 2019

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'd definitely appreciate more characterization.

Crosshairs, Hound, and Drift should get like a huge amount of screentime due to their unique character looks as well as the seasoned voice actors that have been respectively attributed to them.

7. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    i dont mind the lack of tf developmentm i am fine with it

8. Primacronus

Primacronus Clean-Up Crew

News Credits:
    Umm...why?

9. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I was wondering that myself.

10. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    So far, AOE makes it look like there will be a fair amount of Transformers screen time

11. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 potato quality is alive and well in 2019

News Credits:
    From what I know, eagc7 is one of the people who really enjoy the aspect of the human element in the films. If I recall, eagc7 mentioned that he finds it easier to relate to the human characters in the story and he enjoys that appeal. I know that other fans such as myself would rather see more robot characterization and action, but I can respect why eagc7 is fine with the human characterization in the movies :) 

12. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Big hollywood actors doing voices for characters gives me hope that they'll have a decent screentime.

13. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan LoK Ventura

News Credits:
    I guess it sorta worked out with Sentinel, but even that wasn't enough. A lot of bullshit in DOTM could have been filled up with more of sentinels background and motivations, even counter-monologues to Optimus' ideals.

14. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Both ROTF and DOTM disappointed me very much because of this.

All the new characters and really no big introduction or spotlight, such as Jolt, Dino, Que and the Arcee triplets.

What I would've given to have a scene where it was just all the new bots chatting it up in the hangar or just seeing who they really are in personality and how they are actually important to the team, to show the closeness of the Autobots instead of just "Prime and the main 3, oh and all those other guys in the back there".

But what I really want, more than that, is more scenes where we actually see the Cons plotting, like in DOTM in Africa, loved that scene, we need more of those scenes.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

The logic behind that is baffling.
    First off the human element sucks. Many of the humans in the Transformers series are paradies, of humans. It's almost as if Bay has no idea how ppl are supposed to behave, so he's pretending to know how they behave.
    Second what's the point of being a Transformers fan if you're not watching it for the Transformers?

But we needed ridiculous human scenes, who no body cares about, and doesn't advance the plot!

16. JayEm

JayEm オートボットさん

Wow. What an ignorant comment. A movie bases solely on TFs would be so freaking expensive due to all the cgi. Also humans help drive the plot. I think Optimus gets a good amount of focus. Also a lot of the reason the TFs dont get much focus is because they are fighting so much.

Yes id enjoy a bit more character development yes but to the point of solely on the TFs.

17. evac167

evac167 Stealth Transport

News Credits:
    I agree with this. IMO as far as big time actors go or actors most everyone knows, John Goodman is probably the most recognizable. Getting an actor like him on board makes me think at least Hound will have some good characterization. I think getting the core group of autobots back to 5 will help that. I dont really see the dinobots much. Grimlock will get his screen time but thats probably it

18. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i agree that an entire movie with just transformers wouldn't be ideal.

but on the other hand, they've been shorted screen time to the detriment of the movie.

i mean, how can we care or relate to the robots without knowing them.. i'm sure if we cared more about ironhide or got to know him better his death would've had more of in impact.. but, while it was unexpected (for those who hadn't been spoiled) it wasn't very emotional at all.

and.. the humans shouldn't drive the plot.. the robots should.. i'm tired of seeing the humans needing to do something or needing to get something.. etc.

i would like to see the humans tag along rather than further the plot.. or i'd like to see the humans needing the autobots help, and in return the autobots need the humans' help.. i don't know.. i just don't want to see anymore of the .. sam needs to find the matrix.. or sam needs to figure out something to further the plot.

i guess we'll see how this turns out. either way i'm 100% certain that i'll be entertained by the movie and leave the theater satisfied.

19. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, this is the problem right here. Sentinel Prime in DOTM received a TON of characterization. But like Livingdeaddan said, "even that wasn't enough."

No matter how much characterization the movie Transformers get, it will simply never be enough for a lot of people.

20. Mister Chief

Mister Chief Banned

The thing i'm worried about is the Humans having a lot of screen time because they're making their own transformers, but i'm 100% sure that the Transformers will have a huge amount of screen time and conversations.