Non-TF: Flame Mammoth

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Altitron, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    UPDATED IN POST #33

One of my all time favorite video game characters, Flame Mammoth of Megaman X, gets the action figure treatment - and to scale with the other Megaman X figures!

This figure is comprised of no less than 3 Master-Grade 1/100 Gundam kits - the Gogg, Acguy, and Dom were the most prominent donors. The head is from a Jungle Fury (?) Power Ranger elephant guy. The tusk extensions were made using the claws from the Acguy kit held together with two part epoxy putty. The trunk itself was made from the arms of the Gogg kit, with a rocket booster on the end.

This one's actually been a project of mine for a very long time - at least 5 years now. I found the Power Ranger elephant dude at a huge Japanese hobby store a few months ago, and I have been going to town on him ever since. I have a lot of work left to do (as I'm sure you'll be able to tell), but I felt like sharing some of my non-Transformer projects with the community.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, here's the original spite from Megaman X, as well as the PSP remake below that:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my work in progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Alty

Attached Files:

2. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

THis is FRIGGEN AWESOME so far!

3. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    It's my favourite villain!!!! Will he spot a flame thrower????! Make one that really works!!!!

4. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very neat not sure who the game character is, but I love the Aqua Gundams arms, they are very useful.

What's the elephant head from?

Nevermind I see it now.

5. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    I followed the earlier thread you posted of this project. Awesome progress! Can't wait to see this finished!

6. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    Megaman X needs more toy villains!

Awesome!

iDD

7. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    awesome dude!
    wheres that X from?

8. Altitron

Ebay:
    Thanks, everyone. A working flame thrower, Sabrina? LOL Married life has driven you mad. :D 

As for where X came from, I can't say for sure. I picked him up in a parts lot for the cost of shipping. I got him and about 5 or 6 other figures in varying stages of completeness. :) 

- Alty

9. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know you probably worked hard on the tusks, but they really arn't needed, and you can probably get much better head pose-ability without them. Also that being said, I would position the head a little closer to the chest.

I really do look forward to seeing this finished though, I got a feeling it will be awesome :D 

10. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    That is very nice. Well Done

11. fredpekker

fredpekker Active Member

I like it. X is my favorite Mega Man game of all time. I think a Gelgoog woulda made a better body (cuz he has more of a torso), and it needs a bigger hand (like the Gogg hand with fingers). Its pretty cool, though.

12. CaptainX1

CaptainX1 Well-Known Member

oh FUCK
    someone finally opened the can of worms that is megaman custom figures. I need some racheting joints and balljoints so i can perfect my figures

13. delta7890

delta7890 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent choice in project, but I'd personally say you need either a smaller head and much smaller legs, or a much larger body if you want to nail the proportions.

14. me!!

me!! hey it's me.

looks good dude! they should really make more megaman X villains into action figures...and i see you still have X! :) 

15. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    awesome alty. love what you've done with this so far. made me smile. :) 

16. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It is possible. Someone made a Leader class Prime with a working flamethrower. They used a firestarter, didn't seem to damage the plastic, despite the fact that Transformers are constructed from thermoplastics.

17. Altitron

Ebay:
    I know he doesn't /need/ the tusks. They are not in keeping with any reference material at all, but I love them. They look bad ass. I should take more pictures so that you can see the entire curvature of the tusk. I think they are coming along great. I couldn't possibly exclude them from the build at this point.

As for the position of the head, I agree with you. You might not be able to see it in the picture, but the head isn't actually even attached. :D  It's only sitting on top of the body by gravity and friction. And I could only get it to stay up in that position. So no worries. It will be relocated to a more anatomically correct position in the near future. :) 

I don't agree with using a Gelgoog. I think it's obvious why I used the Gogg. I wanted a large, rotund base. I /do/ agree with you on the hand, though. I have a cast of the Hulk Megamorph figure's hands, as well as some other options. I think Wing Zero 1/100s. Maybe I'll line them all up in a picture and you all can tell me which one you think works the best.

I think the lack of chest and shoulder armor may be throwing off your perception of size. Flame Mammoth is a little naked in the pictures. :)  I should take more pictures, too. That would help you get a better idea of how things look, especially if I provided some profile shots. In any event, I have to say that I am pretty happy with the proportions as they are now. As you can see with the tusks that I built, I'm not chasing a perfect replication of the sprite. I do appreciate your concern, however.

And about that flame thrower... *scratches head*

Thanks for all of the comments! I definitely did not expect to log in to see two pages worth of responses today. Thanks to all of you for the interest and the criticism. It's all very much appreciated. :) 

- Alty

18. sokutai

sokutai Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks awesome cant wait to see the finished product

19. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

ho.ly.shit.

20. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You know, we see a lot of use of Gundams all the time, I use the quite often. But I've never seen a better use of a Zaku. Perfect. Looking forward to the finished product and the journey along the way.