Flaking Transmetal chrome

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by godbomber, Aug 18, 2010.

1. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    These threads have all been merged, since they're about the same topic.

3. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    Zombie thread, I know. I raised Metrotitan! I was wondering if the Takara Transmetals have the same flaking issue. I have a chance to buy one, but I won't do so knowing that it's going to start shedding. Does anyone have firsthand experience they can share?

4. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

I usually avoid chrome- either that or remove it with a 24-48 hour purple power bath.

5. Megagalvatron1

Megagalvatron1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes they have the same probem. I used to have a complete collection of beast wars but when they started flaking I decided to sell my whole collection. A lot of my transmetals were takaras including the much more show accurate rampage really bummed when he went silver

6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    For what it's worth, the Fox Kids repaints seem to have less issues with flaking. I want to say that Hasbro may have been wising up at that point on the process...but there are Beast Machines figures with similar chrome flaking issues from the same time period. So I really just don't have any idea on what makes some chrome flake and others not...just some figures do and others do not. Heck, even Thrilling 30 Jetfire has some flaking issues already.

7. combinerlover

combinerlover ToiletTroop/ShedHead fan boy

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I recently came into posession of Takara BW Metals Ravage , I have never heard of him Flaking , has any one ever heard of him flaking ?

8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Mine has not...yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. combinerlover

combinerlover ToiletTroop/ShedHead fan boy

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Ty , great to hear .

10. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    tempature controll, i live in a cold city the highest it gets is 30 degrees lowest -6 so i alway have my toys in the one room that always gets the least amount of sun light, avoid it geting to humid or to dry, simply open the windows if its to humid this should be enough, if its dry put a cup of water on the window still as it evaporates it will solve the issue, mold is easy just look after the room.

now while it may seem i have just been giving you a large selection of infomation this is what i do and i have none/0 flacking on my toys, this method has kept my toys that suffer from gold plastic syndrome good enough i can even use the rathcet joints or ones that are normally to tight.

though in my city this is easy to do in some that are natully hoter and more humid it might get costly, also small note if you in a cold location be carefull plastic does not like to be to cold warm them up before play espelly gps but take your time dont dunk it in hot water...

11. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    Sorry to re-revive this thread again, but I recently received Botcon 2000 Shokoract. You know, the Transmetal Rampage repaint with blue metallic chrome that is notorious for flaking off? Well I opened the box and much to my surprise (and delight) the chrome on it is actually about 95% intact! However, I can tell just by looking at it that it will begin flaking off badly if I even touch it (hence why I haven't removed it from the box yet). I have some automotive clear coat that I've used on my car that seems to harden and leave a nice shiny look, and I'm debating trying to use some on Shokaract. Had anybody tried this and, if so, was it successful? Thanks in advance!

IMG_2561.JPG

12. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    Does pledge work well for preserving Transmetal chrome???

13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    I think that once it starts flaking, there's really no stopping it because air has already gotten beneath the coating. Whatever you do may slow it down...but I don't think you'll be able to fully stop it, unfortunately.

Like others have said, you're best bet is to let it flake. Once it gets to a certain point, go ahead and strip the rest. Then purchase a metallic paint that is a close match and get to work.

14. PrimalFury

PrimalFury The Chosen One

News Credits:
    My figure has no flaking whatsoever, how do I protect it? Some have suggested pledge, would that work? Thank you

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It works to an extent. I applied some to my TM2 Tarantulas after some initial chrome flakes, and so far it's not gotten worse. For that figure, it's too soon to observe any further wear. For my MP Hot Rodimus, I sealed it right out of the box, and I think it's helped a lot. Again, too soon to see, I think.

tldr: It probably works, but don't hold me to it.

16. LizardbotHero

LizardbotHero I am a warrior

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info. I did try some automotive clear coat on a junker TM2 Scourge where the chrome on the abdomen was about half flaked off, and it did seal it surprisingly well after just one coat. I think I'm going to go ahead and try it on Shokaract because, like you said, it's probably going to flake off eventually anyway so I don't have much to lose.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ocassionally, keeping it MISB may help to avoid flaking.

18. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for revivng the thread, but does anyone know why/how chrome flakes?

19. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    I took out my car robots Gigatron this weekend and my Takara bw metals rampage and they were both literally snowing chrome flakes.... It affects Takara versions and both mine were MIB. I can't answer your questions as certain figures I own many copies of show different behavior.

For example I have 3 Takara rampages and 3 Hasbro ones. One T and H version are cracked and flaking literally on every chromed part while the others are a mix of almost no wear or starting to show the cracks. Mine are also mix of MISB, MIB, and loose.

20. SaberRide

SaberRide Its supposed to be SaberRider but I messed up

My understanding is the chrome is not actually paint; its a metallic foil, almost like tinfoil, that is attached to the plastic. So unlike paint, its not a "layer" its more like a brittle wrap. So whenever paint/plastic would just chip/deform, foil actually cracks/peels, and it takes the rest off. Its kinda like a stucco or tile.