Minor/Repaint: Fixing Up Siege Prowl

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ZYXD, Mar 24, 2019.

1. ZYXD

ZYXD Shattered Glass Sharkticon

So I was lucky enough to run into some Wave 2 Siege figs without having to pay over MSRP for them. Personally I think Prowl's mold certainly gets the job done, but as per the corners Hasbro has to cut for the sake of not raising production costs, the colors left a lot to be desired.

So, thanks to some Gundam Markers and Molotow Liquid Chrome Pens, I managed to get Prowl looking a lot more like his usual self. This was the first time I ever tried painting wheels and masking, but luckily the result was satisfactory with opaque black tires that still kept the nice silver hubcaps of the stock figure.

For the most part, I ended up keeping the paint apps conservative. For example, I didn't paint the tail lights because red paint's runny as hell and would be impossible apply in the first place, let alone remove if I slipped up. In that regard, I didn't want to add details that weren't already molded on the figure, so I added silver to the legs and midriff, black to the tires, red to the arrow on the codpiece, and chrome to the headlights in resemblance to Barricade's larger lights.

Nevertheless, I finally got Prowl looking the way I wanted him, which should be able to hold me over till the other Fairlady triplets (and Barricade) finally come up. Hope you all enjoy!
    20190324_184237750_iOS.png 20190324_184246221_iOS.png 20190324_184444280_iOS.png
    20190324_184237750_iOS.png 20190324_184246221_iOS.png 20190324_184444280_iOS.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 15
  2. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    The wheels make a world of difference. Well done my dood

• Like Like x 2
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice job...especially on the headlights. I need to try those markers someday... Where did you get yours? Online??

4. ZYXD

Just as planned :thumb  I thought the transparent wheels were cool as a concept, but the color of the parts in particular made the alt mode looks way more white than it really was. I was lucky enough with the masking to have each wheel look just like a proper pair of tires and hubcaps without looking sloppy, though I did expect way worse results since all I used for said masking was some hobby putty plastered over the hubcaps :lol 

The Molotow pens? I'm pretty sure they're for sale on Amazon, going for around $12 apiece depending on the tip size you choose. It is a lot for just one pen, but trust me you'll definitely get your mileage out of it! If you wanna tackle larger parts and maybe a smoother finish, I also recommend Spaz Styx Mirror Chrome spray paint, though you'll also need some glossy black for a backer and a primer for... well, priming :confused: 

Overall, glad to hear this thing get this much traction so fast. Couldn't be happier with the results!

• Like Like x 3
  5. fschuler

News Credits:
    Thanks man. Now I just need to find a project that needs chrome...

• Like Like x 1
  6. ZYXD

If you're itching to spray paint, Spaz Styx also has a gold variant, which I can assure you from firsthand experience works wonders on Gundam kits like the Hyaku-Shiki and Phenex. Some Golden Lagoon customs, mayhaps? ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  7. fschuler

News Credits:
    I just need a Beachcomber with a gold hand! I'll have to check that stuff out.

8. Richard598

Richard598 Always think positive

It’s been said before about a lot of customs yes, but if the stock toy looked like this then I might have considered buying it!

9. ZYXD

Lucky for you, I'm actually putting my copy up for sale! If you're interested in buying, just PM me and we'll handle the rest from there ;)