Customs: Fixing Styrene

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sabrina_Ng, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Ok ok. This thread is a last attempt after failing to find some answers in older threads.

The problem: I'm trying to stick the pieces of cut styrene on to Optimus Prime's MP trailer.

Why is that a Problem?: I tried using super glue but when I pulled at the styrene after an hour or 2, it came off without a fight. Wimp...

My solution: Used Tamiya cement. Those glass bottles with transparent liquid.

And why is my solution a problem?: After application, there was some heat reaction and the styrene just dented into the depressions of the trailer. Arghhh!!!!!

Some other facts: Styrene is 0.25mm.
    I pressed the styrene to the surface of trailer for a few minutes before noticing the dents.

Ok..So what am I doing wrong. I am so tempted to get the plastic fusion glue thingy from the US that was brought up on the boards a while back.

2. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Use plastic weld.
    Should be in a tiny blue flask with a needle to drip it out of.
    Most modeling stores carry it.

3. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Is that a brand name or generic product category? Coz I cant recall seeing that exact name in the hobby shop.

Oh and what exactly does that do for fixing styrenes?

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Cyanoacrylate (Superglue) glue should be fine! Weird. I use a CA glue brand name Jet. It comes in different thicknesses, I use medium, it doesn't tend to run all over. I also couple that with an Accelerator, which is a liquid that looks kinda like thinner. You brush the accelerator on one surface, and the CA glue on the other. Then wait a couple seconds and join them. The Accelerator forces the CA glue to cure instantly, causing the two parts being glued to "fuse" together. Pretty much like the stuff your talking about, but you already have the Ca glue, See if your Hobby shop has the accelerator and you're there!!:thumbs2: 

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't think it's a brand name. it could be though.
    For fixing, it doesn't really do much but it's perfect for glueing it to stuff.
    To fix styrene, i'd guess maybe heat it up and press it back into shape?

6. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Oh no. It was beyond redemption. When I pulled it of, the styrene was already melted and gooey. I did have a hard time tearing it apart though.

Coz I was adviced by the store staff to use tamiya cement on styrene. Said something about bonding it better than glue. Saw this gorilla glue locally too. Tempted to try. Heard it has gorilla like strength?

Also, can I actually use tamiya cement & superglue and sandwich it together? Will tat be stronger or will I be another statistic in a chemical reaction gone awfully wrong? hahaha.

7. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I once toasted my shirt by spilling superglue. It hurt. Stoopid chemical reactions.

8. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Ahaahahahahahaahahaahahahah!!!!
    So funny!!! Ahahaahahhahaha!!!!!! :lolol 

9. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 ライオコンボイ

Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It also didn't smell pleasant.

10. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Gorilla glue has an exothermal reaction!!! meaning it could potentially warp and melt your parts. Be VERY careful when using that stuff and test on something similiar first.
    Why your super glue didn't stick could be due to mold release on the part. try wiping the area down wiht rubbing alcohol before attempting to glue. Also, if your part is really glossy, you should rough up the area wiht sandpaper first so the glue has something to grip to. that could be your problem right there.
    The syrene glue is awesome and is the best bond for styrene, but doens't work on all types of plastics.

I wouldn't try mixing the two types of glue either. Solvents and most glues bond by a chemical reaction and that could hinder or just plain kill the reaction, making a horrible mess.

For what you are trying to do, i would suggest cleaning the surface like i mentioned, then using a 5 min epoxy. it comes in two parts that you mix together and will tack up in about 5 minutes. most final cure times take from a couple hours to a full day, but you can handle the parts usually after about 5-10 minutes. you can find this stuff in any hobby or hardware store.

Randy!

11. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    gorilla glue, expands and foams, not good for doing flat work. The reason yoru styrene slumped is because you used a styrene glue, which liquifies the surfaces to be joined. It work great for styrene to styrene but doesnt bond it for long to other surfaces. Your best bet is to go a thicker styrene and use a superglue and an accelerator or an epoxy. sorry you piece was a loss man.

12. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    Ok. So basically what you guys are recommending is to just use normal super glue, but sand the surface a bit? So that Tamiya cement is not needed at all?

13. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    pretty much, the styrene glue is only helpful when doing styrene to styrene because it actually melts, and bonds them into a single solid piece.

14. returnofplex

returnofplex Well-Known Member

Ebay:

Have you tried lightly sanding the areas to be super glued? Maybe something like 220 grit, just to de-gloss the surface and add some "tooth" for the glue to get in to. This has worked very well in the past for me, in fact,...too well a few times:) 

15. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i agree with the sanding especially if there is paint where you are trying to glue. i am not sure if the mp trailer is molded in color or is painted silver

16. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
    I think the MP trailer is just plastic? Ok. So I'll just super glue it together after sanding it with some super rough sandpaper. Will keep the updates going as soon as I have any. Thanks guys.

17. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    do you have pics of what u'r trying to do?

18. Sabrina_Ng

Ebay:
  19. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

for sanding i usually don't go lower than 100 grit when wanting to rough up the surface. I usually use 120. Sure a coarser grit will get it done faster, but its' easy to make a mistake and sand something you don't want to.