Fixing a wounded Masterpiece Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Flash1087, May 29, 2014.

1. Flash1087

Flash1087 Maybe in an Alternate Dimension

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Upon re-reading this thread I suddenly feel bad - I really hope this doesn't dissuade anyone from buying Masterpieces! As a recent convert to the line, Rodimus is really the only one with any significant breakage issues. I own YOTH Prime and a handful of the cars, and they're all in great shape - even my KO Sideswipe has survived some falls that would have ruined a lesser toy. Really, the only problem with most of them is the occasional deco problem, if that's the sort of thing you worry about (me, I'm pretty easy :D ).

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I should have him tomorrow sometime, I'll try to post some more pictures of his injuries and re-assess the damage from there. Hopefully it's as clean a break as it looked in the picture, there was another picture in the auction of him back in the box with the arm basically where it was supposed to be, so it SHOULD be reattachable.

Hopefully.

2. rbarron64

rbarron64 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my rodimus had the same break. i "fixed" him so his arm still has movement (joints alittle loose and arm dosent pose well) and still transforms.
    take apart the shoulder pad/ fender so you can get to the dark grey shoulder joint. find a screw thin enough to screw into the corresponding shoulder joint on the figure. install the grey piece onto the figure, and screw that screw THROUGH the gray piece and into the shoulder piece on the figure. dont tighten it all the way, the ratchets need to be able to get past each other for arm movement (thats why the arm will stay loose). now reassemble the shoulder pad/ fender onto the gray piece and your done!

3. Flash1087

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh man, if he could still transform that would be great but...that sounds really hard. :lol  Do you have pictures of this process, by any chance?

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

As others have said, Rodimus is really the only one that's had insanely awful QC issues like this. Mine hasn't broken (yet.. knock on wood lol) but it does have its fair share of problems.

Almost ruined the entire line for me too causing me to almost miss MP-10 Optimus (still had to pay aftermarket prices, but not the insane amount it goes for now) and Sideswipe. Thank goodness Soundwave came out when he did and brought me back into collecting the line lol

5. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

garbage-can1.jpg done.

6. rbarron64

News Credits:
    Take the 3 screws out (2 on top, 1 in lower right corner), and carefully pry the shoulder pad/ fender in half at the top right corner. Pry them apart just enough to get the gray piece out. The gray piece has a hole going through it, the new screw will go through this hole, but it will actually screw into the red piece. Make sure the screw is long enough to go through the gray piece and thin enough to screw into the red piece without splitting it. Now put the gray piece onto the red piece, screw them together but leave it loose enough that the ratchets just miss each other. Reassemble shoulder pad and you are done!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ectocooler

ectocooler Well-Known Member

Wow, there you go OP. I wish this was reddit so I could give you some gold rbarron64.

8. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I have to disagree Jetstorm,of all the MP's I think MP1 or the Hasbro version has the worst QC Problems,on my Hasbro Optimus he basically has all of these problems:

the lower legs will not lock in when you pull them down and I don't know how many times when Optimus Primes legs would give out and he would become Optimus Midget (please forgive the term,not trying to be rude to little people.

the chest whether in robot mode or alt mode will not line up,no matter what I do,one side is too high,and the other is too low,there's about 1/4 inch difference between them.

and probably the worst part is what other people say is the feet,every time I transform him atleast one foot pops off usually the right one,but sometimes the left one too.

As for Rodimus which I have 2 of neither one has that problem of the arm breaking off,tho I haven't really transformed them maybe 5 or 6 times each.I would suggest what rbarron64 said and take it apart and use a small screw as I'd rather have a Rodimus with a gimp arm than a Rodimus who looks like Galvatron ripped off and was hitting him with it.

Hey that's an idea you could use it and have Roddy laying on the ground with another figure smacking him with Roddy's own arm saying something like "You don't deserve to be leader,Optimus Prime is 10 times the leader you are" and beat the crap out of him with it.

9. Flash1087

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sir or ma'am, you may have just made my weekend! Does this require drilling, or would I just be able to thread the screw through it? And do you remember by any chance what size screw you used?

10. rbarron64

News Credits:
    Definitely sir, haha. No drilling, the gray and red pieces already have holes in them. If i remember right, the red piece is actually a tube that goes through the gray piece with a rivet on the gray end. So the remaining part of the red tube will still go through the gray part.
    Sorry, i have no clue what size screw i used. Take the figure with you to a hardware store. Remember it just needs to be alittle thicker than the red opening, but not too thick or youll split the red part open.

11. Flash1087

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright, so I finally got him today, and...I'm not sure how to go about fixing him, now? I don't know if the breakage is going to be salvageable via that screw method. I've included some pictures of what has broken and where; could I still put everything back in place or will I have to glue something somewhere?

Attached Files:

12. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Everything plastic is fixable. I'm not familiar with the fig but it's a ratcheting joint. I'm just not sure how those parts exactly fit together but it's doable def.

Just curious, does anyone know if the TRU release was the 2.0 mold or was that Takara only?

13. rbarron64

News Credits:
    Ill look at mine when i get home, but it looks like the red piece that has broken off ( the one with the pin) sits on the gray piece that is still attached to the figure. It might still be fixable, but it is more broken than my rodimus was.

14. Flash1087

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright! He'll never transform again, and that arm is basically immobile except for the elbow joint (and even then I don't trust him to hold a gun), but my Rodimus is at least in one piece!

[​IMG]

My more dexterous girlfriend helped me apply liberal amounts of 3M Plastic Adhesive to the shoulder joint after replacing the elbow joint and broken ratchet piece. She applied a blob of hot glue to build the joint up, and the plastic adhesive took to it right away. It now resides in a position of authority right next to YOTH Prime on my Masterpiece/3P shelf!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, everyone. If you can find a cheap/busted Rodimus, I say go for him since he's easily salvageable, just so long as you don't mind him being an Action Master. But with how goddamn fiddly he is in the first place, I probably never would've transformed him even if I'd bought him MISB. :tongue: 

15. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

sorry for necro post but my roddy arm receblntky failed. this is total b.s and im in talks with hasbros consumer affairs dept. something markey as a collecyors item should bot degrwde and fail like this when properly looked after and never transformed. they have said I can choose something from the current range as a replacement but I dont want sny of thst stuff. I said they can owe me a combiner wars devy when its out or a titan class metroplex otherwise il be involving trading standards etc.

16. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Lots of us have been there, it sucks. Not to worry though, our very own MegaMoonMan has you covered.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-sale-trade/688280-3d-upgrade-parts-megamoonman.html

17. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:

JP New Repair Replacement Kit Sets for Transformers MP09 Rodimus INSTOCK | eBay

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm glad there are actual molded repair kits now, takes the heat off of me.

I just hope they aren't the same shit parts that will break the same way as the originals.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  19. Aptom

Aptom Well-Known Member

awesome stuff guys ta il defo get one of the two sets and ill still be expecting my pound of flesh from hasbro too. crazy that so many "collectors items" have just fell to bits

20. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    i dont know about the molded ones, but megamoonman's one is working great for me and mine was the first one. that was my welcome back present after traveling for 10 months, and i was so glad his set was able to fix it