Fixing a wounded Masterpiece Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Flash1087, May 29, 2014.

1. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Mods - feel free to move this if you want, I was torn between posting it here or maybe in the customs section, so I'm open to suggestion. :) 

Recently, I got a great deal on a Hasbro MP Rodimus on eBay - still has the box and all of the accessories, and was in great shape EXCEPT...his arm has come off.

I've included the picture from the auction, and I could throw up more pictures when it actually gets to my house sometime this weekend if you want. It looks like a pretty clean break, and from what I can tell from the picture it looks like it may have just come out of the arm socket.

I know this is a pretty common issue with Roddy, so does anyone have any advice for fixing it? Frankly, knowing Rodimus' problems I don't really intend on transforming him or even posing him too much after I put him on my MP shelf next to Optimus, so if the fix leaves him a bit immobile, SO BE IT! I'll take recommendations for what glue to use, anything I could do to put the joint back, etc. Feel free to talk to me like I'm a big idiot who's never fixed a toy before, because I absolutely am.

Attached Files:

2. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

That's exactly like what happened to mine except it was broken right out of the package. I couldn't even exchange it cause I didn't open it till a couple years after I bought it. -_- Haha. Though on mine there is actually plastic that broke. There is a spring wrapped around a plastic rod or something inside the joint so it would be hard to fix while keeping it functional. I wouldn't mind seeing what people have in mind for how to fix this though as that might mean I can add Rodimus to my cramped MP shelf.

3. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This kind of thread scares me away from MPs...

4. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Yikes. Good luck buddy, hope you can get some advice on a fix.

I snapped the hand off mine right out of the package. So he has permanently got his buzzsaw out now. I regret selling my alternators Hot Rod.

5. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cause all MPs have this issue..... :rolleyes: 

Both my Takara and Hasbro Rodimus' are fine. Helps I haven't touched either one in a while.

6. icewolf74

icewolf74 Well-Known Member

Apparently Rodimus Prime is the only one out of all the MP's released so far where there have been numerous reports of him breaking right out of the package or shortly there after. However, as a MP owner of 4 Masterpiece figures except for Rodimus Prime, I assure the ones I own are of really high quality; well except for a little finger with my Soundwave that keeps popping off if I close his hand too tight. -_-"

7. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could try removing the parts and applying an ABS welding agent, like Plastruct Plastic Weld Cement, to the broken areas. You do have to be precise with small areas, and larger surfaces will weld better than small ones. This is not a glue, it chemically welds the surfaces together and is more like a plastic equivalent to solder.

Another option would be to just re-model the broken piece and have it 3D printed.

8. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Hes gonna be an action master whatever you do, so you may as well remove the joints from both shoulders and replace them with ball joints............bionicle part donors?

9. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Rodimus and Cosmic Rust Megatron are the only MPs to suffer from build problems and even then Rodimus is the only one that will reportedly break out of package. Seeing as that only accounts for 3 releases out of the 20 or so Takara MP line I'd say those are excellent figures for a high end collectable line for transforming figures.

Compare this with Yamato's Macross Valks which have been around for the same amount of time and went through literally a dozen different releases of version 2 VF-1s with exploding shoulders (DYRL = warning) that ran for about $70-$100 each.

The only real concerns regarding the MP line as of late have been questionable QC and low distribution though both are getting much better.

10. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, the horrors of paying so much for some of those high end toys to have it snap on you.

11. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw this very same auction when I was scrolling for Roddy. I really want the figure but only if he was made entirley out of diecast. Maybe then he would withstand the geo forces of planet earth. lol

12. Flash1087

Ebay:
    Thanks for the advice, Dr. Lizardo! Do you think the broken piece here is big enough to try Plastruct? I've read some stuff online that says it works better with some types of plastics than with others, do you think Rodimus is made of a good kind to use this on?

13. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure, I've never had that particular figure in hand. Plastruct is not the only product either but it is easily procurred at hobby stores. Acetone, applied carefully, can deliver similar results.

14. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    It shouldn't....no other MP since has had QC issues like this and we are 10 past him.

15. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you could part him out and make a decent penny on his pieces alone- in fact I am looking for his right ankle assembly. The only one of ebay right now is $24+$9 shipping which I thought was high, until I saw he sold the left one and a few other parts for around that price.

16. Flash1087

Ebay:
    Alright, well...if this doesn't work out, you have dibs. :D 

17. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Does he have swappable arm joints, left and right the same etc. I ask because if so its usually the right arm that pops off and you could always switch them out.

18. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Me too. I might just stop buying them once they stop making them.

On topic: mine is still whole, but I don't transform him and hardly pose him. I would recommend you follow some of the suggestions above.
    I would take it apart and either get someone to model the part in a 3D printer, failing that, gluing it together. If that seems too weak, maybe you can drill small holes to insert a screw to keep the part together.

19. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Oh god I remember this happening when people were getting him in stores. Sucks that that happened to you, dude. I'm glad the only problem I had with mine was a section of his arm pipes were backwards, which was a simple fix. I'd try the plastic fusing stuff like someone suggested earlier.

20. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well said..

Ive had 4 of these...NEVER had an arm fall off. Im not even gunna cross my fingers.

This mold KICK ASS. That car mode is worth the price of entry.