Five Questions, Getting to know you better.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TheFallen

TheFallen Megatronus

News Credits:
    1. Beast Wars, Animated, CHUG, Beast Machines, ROTF

2. Spending- it's sporadic these last two months I have bought most of the new stuff PCC, HFTD and Generaions. Now I'm waiting for wave 2 to show up.

3. Cheetor, I only have two though

4. I plan to attend a Botcon sometime in the future, most likely if it takes place on the east coast.

5. Favorite Moment- I started collecting last year, and cuased a friend of mine into getting a couple TFs occasionally. He just recently got WFC Prime, Bumblebee, and Drift.

2. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In no order (order changes all the time)
    Universe 2.0
    Beast Wars
    Classics
    ROTF/HFTD
    Animated

Keep in mind that Generations may well earn a spot up here when Straxus, Blurr, Red Alert, and others hit shelves. I'm only going by what's come out and what I have now.

Anywhere from $20 a month (retail purchases) to $100 a month (usually only one such high-costing order, and when it's that high it's usually online.

This should be obvious by now.

Nupe

Opening my first Masterpiece Optimus Prime. It didn't matter that it was the classics one that's borderline orange; it was my first MP figure and in my time of collecting Primes, something of a dream moment: The G1 Prime's truck mode that I'd always liked with a robot mode that blew all else away :3

3. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Question #1

1 - Generation 1 (American Line)
    2 - C.H.U.G.
    3 - Masterpiece
    4 - Binaltech/Alternators
    5 - Robots in Disguise

Question #2

How much I spend really depends on if there is something I really want and can find it at a good price. Also depends on what is currently out. There's really no set criteria..it has to fit my budget..which usually is within the 0 to a few hundred dollar range, but that varies..and its not weekly or monthly. I would say right now is the most I've spent in the last year..I have 2 sets of Fansproject Kits coming, a Brave Max, preorder of Dirge,RedAlert,Soundwave,Blurr, and also a g1 Dreadwind I just won last night, a MISB Mega Octane from RID im waiting for to get to me...plus WFC Prime/Bumblee, and 2 Thrusts that Ive already bought.

Question #3

My favorite toy is Fortress Maximus. I own a complete original with the box, and now have a Brave Max on the way. My favorite character is G1 Onslaught...just always thought he made a great leader, and they are also my favorite combiner teams, the combaticons.

Question #4

Botcon 07...because it was close to me, as I was only about 2 hours away. Me and a friend are huge TF fans, but besides hanging out at each others houses marveling out each others collections/latest purchases, we dont have any meetups with a group of people..maybe we should start one?

Question 5#

Getting Metroplex for Christmas in 1986...at 10 years old. As a coincidence, when I got back into collecting again about 5 years ago, I actually bought and received a complete Metroplex with the box a week before Christmas 2006, at age 30..nearly 20 years to the day! I always thought that was cool the way it happened

4. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    1. What are your top 5 favorite Transformers lines? Please be specific as possible since there are some Japanese only lines.

1. G1
    2. CHUG
    3. RID
    4. Alternators
    5. Beast Wars

2. Roughly how much do you spend in a week or month on Transformers. This question is optional since some folks don't like talking about finances and can be considered rude to others. Also do you have a maximum that you are willing to spend on any toy. For example, I won't spend more than $50 for any Transformer. Also, do you do the majority of your shopping online or in-store?

Back in the day, I could easily spend $100 to $200 a month. Now, I've become a bit more selective with the TF offerings that are out there. I really don't bother with most of the movie themed figures. I'm more into the Classics themed type figures. I do get the occasional exclusives, which will bump up my TF spending. I still try to keep it under $50 a month at this point.

I used to live for the hunt, but lack of free time makes online shopping a bit of a necessity. I still try to hit retail stores.

3. Do you have a favorite character? If so who, and roughly how many toys do you have of him/her? You can list them if you want.

Shockwave (G1, Animated:both versions, Energon, Alternators, Action Master, & the decoy)

4. Have you ever attended a Con wether it be a big one like BotCon and TFCon, or a smaller one like DairyCon? If so, how many? Or/also do you go to fan meet-ups?

I've attended the first Botcon in '94 and attended a couple of the Cybercons.

The Philly meet-ups were first put together by myself, and a couple of other members. Those meet-ups were fun when they first started out. I don't get involved with putting them together anymore, but I try to attend when I have time.

5. Of all you years in this fandom, what is your favorite one moment? Whether it be getting a toy for a birthday, or at a con. Or was it meeting someone, or making a custom.

I think it comes down to couple of different moments:

1. August 8, 1986: My best friend and I went to the Transformers:The Movie premeire and sat through 3 viewings that day. Hearing fans cheer and laugh at the more memorable moments of the film will always be etched in my memory.

2. July 16, 1994 The first Botcon: I took a train from Philly to Gary, Indiana and arranged a bus to pick me up from Gary to get the Fort Wayne. It was worth the trip.
    I got my first real exposure that there was a fandom out there. The crowd was relatively small compared to today's shows, but it was pretty cool to see.
    I had my first taste of Japanese and European TF's that never saw a release here. I never knew that the G1 animated series had continued in Japan with new episodes. I'm pretty sure I still have the pics from the show. The historical display of boxed Transformers from G1 to G2 was a sight to behold.
    I also met Jon and Karl Hartman who were some of the most dedicated collectors I ever met. Jon was extremely kind to get me copies of some the episodes from the Japanese Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory series, and Zone movie.
    I also came away with my Botcon Breakdown, Metalhawk, AM Charger, and few other items.
    I need to get back to a Botcon.
    :) 

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. In no particular order: RotF, Energon, G1, Classics/TFU 2.0/Generations, Cybertron.

2a. On average, I'd say probably $150 per month, although it's been a little higher lately, since I've been working on filling some gaps in my G1 collection. Some months, it's less because there's nothing new being released, other months it's higher because there's lots of stuff to come out. For instance, if everything that's scheduled to come out this month actually does come out, I'll probably spend ~$400 on TFs this month (MP Grimlock, PCC wave 2, Generations wave 2, etc), but in the previous 4 - 5 months, I spent maybe $300 total.

2b. Around $50, before tax, is my maximum. I'll make exceptions for something like a Masterpiece, certain G1 items or FansProject stuff, although I'm very reluctant to go over $100/figure even on those.

2c. Used to be in-store, but I don't have as much time to run around to stores lately, so I've been doing more online lately. Also helps me cut down on impulse buys.

3. Skywarp, mostly because I like his colour scheme and power set. Versions I have are G1, Armada, Cybertron, Titanium, RotF, Animated, Robot Heroes, Heroes of Cybertron, Masterpiece, Universe 1.0 (Jetstorm repaint). Probably a couple of others I'm forgetting too.

4. No to all of the questions, although I do plan to attend BotCon someday, if it ever ends up in the city I live in or I get to the point in my career that I can easily take time off.

5. Seeing TFTM07 in the theatre for the first time, first show, opening night.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Classics etc.
    Galaxy Force (though my figures are mostly US version, I watched the JP show first)
    G1
    Does Hybrid Style count? since it had a whole 3 figures and all..
    MyClone
    Beast Wars

No set budget anymore. I only just got back into buying on a notable level but that's because I skipped movie toys almost entirely and barely bought any Animated for a long time. If they put out stuff I want, I buy it.

See the Rodimus link in my sig. ^.^

Cybercon in 05 or something, Botcon 07, and a handful of local toy shows. I've thought about crashing the Philly meet-up sometime, but it's a long drive.

Hm.. probably seeing the movie at Botcon 07 in a theater packed with rabid TF fans.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    5. Animated
    4. Alternators/Binaltech
    3. Masterpiece
    2. Beast Wars
    1. Classics/Henkei/Universe/Generations

I wouldn't spend more than at least $100 on a Transformer. Maybe $200 if it was my birthday, but any price for a toy over $100 is pushing it.

Optimus Primal. And I have three toys of him: Transmetal, 10th Anniversary, and TRU 10th Anniversary 2-Pack.

Nope, and nope.

My 15th Birthday. Getting 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime was like the holy grail of birthday gifts.

8. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. G1, RID, Beast Wars, Classics/Universe/Generations, Animated

2. I don't have any set rules for purchases, but I usually go on binges. I may spend $400 one month and then not buy anything else for 6 months. As for where I shop, it's a mix between online and brick & mortar stores.

3. Do you have a favorite character? If so who, and roughly how many toys do you have of him/her? You can list them if you want.

I wouldn't say I have a favorite character, but the character represented most in my collection is Optimus Prime, just because there are so many good toys of him.

4. Never been to a convention, and don't plan to.

5. Sorry but I have 2: One of my favorite moments was Christmas about 10 years ago. My mom got me a bunch of random G1 bots from a tfw member she happened to work with at the time. It was awesome because most of my G1 toys were broken to hell and we were in the mist of Beast Wars.

Another moment was about a year after the last when a friend of mine moved and found a bunch of old TFs, GI Joes and Star Trek toys his new house's tool shed. I got Metroplex, Omega Supreme and a shit ton of other G1 bots for free :) 

9. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It's nice to see that I'm not alone in not attending a Con or the Auto Assembly ( sorry ninety :(  ). Love reading all the favorite moments, as well.

10. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    1. What are your top 5 favorite Transformers lines? Please be specific as possible since there are some Japanese only lines.

Japanese Victory, Masterforce, Headmasters, Henkei & Masterpiece.

2. Roughly how much do you spend in a week or month on Transformers. Also, do you do the majority of your shopping online or in-store?

Can easily spend up to a grand or more (monthly basis). A mixture of both really but I'll very much prefer looking/hunting for items physically.

Convoy. Have duplicates of him. (loose & MIB/MISB) I don't count toy pieces. Too tedious a process, especially when one's been collecting for more than 10 odd years.

4. Have you ever attended a Con wether it be a big one like BotCon and TFCon, or a smaller one like DairyCon? If so, how many? Or/also do you go to fan meet-ups?

Unfortunately no. Visiting a LIVE event like Botcon has always been my dreams & I will accomplish that one of these days. I consider myself incomplete till I attended at least one Botcon.

Yes, plenty of fans/group outings/meet ups between fellow Collectors. From where I am, the lot of us do this at least once/twice a month.

5. Of all you years in this fandom, what is your favorite one moment? Wether it be getting a toy for a birthday, or at a con. Or was it meeting someone, or making a custom.

The favourite moment: When my dad bought us (my younger bro & me) a Targetmasters Hotrod from retail.

Somehow, when I got older, started earning my keeps & getting myself lots more TFs that are many, many times more pricey than that Targetmasters Hotrod. It just felt different inside...

Memories like this will always be a part of me till the day I depart from Earth.

11. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    1. Beast Wars
    2. Generation 1
    3. Animated
    4. Movie
    5. Robots in Disguise/Car Robots

I really cut down on my spending the last couple of years. Five years ago I'd spend about $150-$200 a month but now I just sporadically buy stuff. This is mostly because I pretty much own every Transformer I ever wanted and my want list is almost non-existant.
    Once TF: Prime hits I expect I might be spending a bit more again, if I enjoy the series.
    As far as a maximum per figure, the most I ever spent was $200 on CR Brave Max back when he came out. I don't think I'd ever pay more than that for any Transformer.

Oh, I do most of my shopping online because the stores here are really behind on their releases and are usually pretty expensive anyway. It's cheaper and easier for me to just go ahead and order stuff on the internet.
    There's too many great characters in the Transformers lore for me to have just one favorite. The character I have the most figures of is Optimus Prime though.
    Never went to a con and don't really feel the urge either. The only conventions that I'd love to attend once are the Japanese Toy Expo's.
    The unveiling of the prototype MP Optimus Prime and Binaltech Smokescreen made a lasting impression. It was so fun to see the entire fandom being collectively in awe of something that would set a new standard.