Five Questions, Getting to know you better.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Crystal Convoy

Crystal Convoy Huh? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. Animated, CHUG, Cybertron, RotF, PCC.
    2. Can't really say. I don't keep track; it's better that way.
    3. Optimus Prime - 6/7?
    4. Not yet.
    5. Probably either starting my photocomic here or getting RiD X-Brawn as my first Transformer.

2. anabolik1

anabolik1 Banned

1. What are your top 5 favorite Transformers lines? Please be specific as possible since there are some Japanese only lines.

G1, Car Robots, Botcon, Henkei, and Animated

2. Roughly how much do you spend in a week or month on Transformers. This question is optional since some folks don't like talking about finances and can be considered rude to others. Also do you have a maximum that you are willing to spend on any toy. For example, I won't spend more than $50 for any Transformer. Also, do you do the majority of your shopping online or in-store?

If I broke it down by month it wouldn't be much since I don't buy figures every month cause I have become WAY more specific in my collecting. As for the second question, most I have spent is $2500. Lastly, my shopping is wherever lands me what I'm looking for at the time.

3. Do you have a favorite character? If so who, and roughly how many toys do you have of him/her? You can list them if you want.

I have more favorite "molds" than characters...

Convoy & Magnus (Classics and Car Robots molds):
    Henkei Convoy
    Henkei Crystal Convoy
    SG Prime
    Lunchtime Special "All Clear" Henkei Convoy
    Ultra Magnus
    Car Robots Fire Convoy
    TRU Japanese Excluse Clear Fire Convoy
    TRU Japanese Excluse Clear God Magnus
    Lucky Draw Black Fire Convoy

Hot Rod (Classics mold)
    Henkei Rodimus
    Henkei Wildrider
    Botcon Evil Rodimus

Predaking

Seekers (Classics mold)
    Henkei Skywarp
    Henkei Thundercracker
    Henkei Thrust
    Henkei Dirge
    Henkei Starscream
    Henkei Ramjet
    Classics Ramjet
    Classics Skywarp
    Universe Acid Storm
    Botcon Thrust
    Botcon Thundercracker
    Botcon Dirge

4. Have you ever attended a Con wether it be a big one like BotCon and TFCon, or a smaller one like DairyCon? If so, how many? Or/also do you go to fan meet-ups?

None yet :( 

5. Of all you years in this fandom, what is your favorite one moment? Wether it be getting a toy for a birthday, or at a con. Or was it meeting someone, or making a custom.

Well after 23 or so years now, the moments I remember are my younger year birthdays and Christmas times and then fast-forward to more recently when I acquired my MISB Grand Max.

3. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    1) TFA, Classics/Universe, ROTF. I'm too new to the fandom to have five favourites.

2) I've been into Transformers for about two months, and I think I've spent £170, plus an extra £20 on the DVDs. I really need to slow it down, and will be forced to anyway as a) jobless, b) moneyless.

3A) G1 Megatron is my absolute favourite Decepticon (hurr durr, not totally obvious or anything) but I only have a Revoltech of him as I find his original and the Masterpiece edition totally creepy. I also have the ROTF Voyager Class, who is totally awesome and was my first "proper" Transformer. My favourite Autobot is Red Alert, but I only have his G1 figure. I also adore Bayformers Ironhide, and have a Robot Replica and a HFTD figure of him on the way.

3B) I also like G1 Hoist, Rumble (FIRRIB), Wheelie (shut up) and Grimlock, but I have no toys of them. ;~;

4) No. I'm too shy and not-in-America to attend Cons.

5) Watching the '86 movie for the first time on my PSP in the middle of the night. Insomnia + G1 plots = OH MY GOD WHAT THE IT'S A PLANET THAT EATS PLANETS WHAT IS GOING ON oh I like these guys Ironhide and Prowl and Brawn and Megatron and OH MY GOD THEY'RE ALL DEAD. W-well at least Wheeljack i-is still AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

^ srsly.

4. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

What are your top 5 favorite Transformers lines?
    Energon,Cybertron,Titanium 6 inch,Alternators/BT & the 2 live action movies toy lines.

2. Roughly how much do you spend in a week or month on Transformers.
    depens on what I need or what comes out. no solid price quote for this answer.

3. Do you have a favorite character? If so who, and roughly how many toys do you have of him/her? You can list them if you want.
    Rodimus Prime is my favorite character. I have the takara reissue,the energon rodimus,the titanium 6 inch rodimus. soon i'll have a few MP Takara MP Rodimus Prime toys. still debatting if the protector rodimus prime trailer/armor is worth it or not.

4. Have you ever attended a Con wether it be a big one like BotCon and TFCon, or a smaller one like DairyCon? If so, how many? Or/also do you go to fan meet-ups?
    I been to a few NYC Bigapplecomic cons. I have no real desire to attend botcon. because it's too costly & I get free info+pics via the internet. no desire to meet fellow fans.

5. Of all you years in this fandom, what is your favorite one moment? Wether it be getting a toy for a birthday, or at a con. Or was it meeting someone, or making a custom.
    I did create a few customs but that's got nothing to do with "special fandom moments."

5. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I tend to scroll through till I find folk I know and read their answers!

1- Animated
    2- G1
    3- MP
    4- Masterforce
    5- G2

Previously about £300/$460 a month, I've only bought half a dozen TF's in the last six months though. Changing circumstances and priorities.

No theoretical limit, got a few pricey items, but the majority are mainstream. Only things I let the spending leash off for are vintage Japanese books, love them!

Probably do most of the shopping online, better deals, and for us in the UK, easier to get a lot of stuff.

Jointly G1 Megs and Ratchet. Must have 40+ of Megs, and about a dozen Ratchets.

Bad Naitch! No mention of AutoAssembly?!?

Went to last year's AA, and going this year (this weekend actually, Yaay!).

We had a little meet-up at the end of last year as well.

Now, there's a question!

Possibly this one: I remember getting G1 Megs as a kid, and being dragged round other shops whilst wanting to open him.

Lots of good times at AA, but very few can be related here!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Henkei! Henkei! Transformers takes the top spot.
    Whichever iteration of the "Classics" styled line is out (I'll count it as one line).
    Mighty Muggs (if that counts as a TF line).
    Heroes of Cybertron (I need to find the rest of these guys).
    Probably less of a line than Mighty Muggs, but the few Transformers Revoltech figures we've gotten.

I'm really inconsistent with my spending, I could blow $200 one week and then not buy another toy for a month. So coming up with an average is tough.

As for that second part though, I don't necessarily have a high point price-wise. I spent $70 for Henkei Hot Rodimus, $80 for Henkei Hound, $50 for Henkei Rijie. I pay what I can manage to pay. If $50 isn't possible because I've payed rent and utilities this payday, then the toy just has to wait.

And I prefer to do my shopping in-store. We even have a local place that imports Henkei and Encore figures, as well as a number of others, so I don't even buy those online. I'll only buy things online that aren't in stores anymore or are online only (like SDCC Mighty Muggs Prowl).

Starscream. Right now it's at 8 different figures: Masterpiece, G1 (Encore), Uni2.0 (x4, two chromed, two not), HoC, Robot Masters, Revoltech, BW2nd, and the Henkei sitting over on another shelf.

Not yet. I missed out on CybCon last year because of another event that had come up. I should be making it this year though, and that'll be my first official Transformers convention.

We have meet-ups here in Seattle area pretty often, once every couple months or so. But aside from that, my girlfriend happens to have been old friends with the girlfriends of a couple other local members. So we see each other pretty often, get invited to each other's family parties and whatnot.

My one favorite moment is probably just getting into collecting Transformers for real (story I've said a number of times- I'd picked up a few Armada, Energon, and "Classics" figures, but Uni2.0 got me in big time).

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    1. Classics/Universe
    Cybertron/Galaxy force
    Alternators
    Beast Wars
    Animated

2. Not usually my money. :p  I'm spoiled aren't i?

3. Cybertron Crosswise, (I have him, his repaints Smokescreen and Jolt.) (I want SG Jazz and Ricochet)

4. The Ottawa Mini-Con in 2008.

5. Best moment is seeing Transformers 1 back in 2007 at the theaters.

8. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. What are your top 5 favorite Transformers lines? Please be specific as possible since there are some Japanese only lines.

If we're going by strictly toylines and not the medium they're associated with, then Classics, Animated, RotF, Cybertron, and G1. Possibly not in that order. I guess I could put Masterpiece in there, but I don't want to since it's so small. But the quality of that line speaks for itself.

2. Roughly how much do you spend in a week or month on Transformers. This question is optional since some folks don't like talking about finances and can be considered rude to others. Also do you have a maximum that you are willing to spend on any toy. For example, I won't spend more than $50 for any Transformer. Also, do you do the majority of your shopping online or in-store?

It mainly depends on how much is released in a given month. Last month all that new stuff was released but the previous few months there wasn't very much so I don't think I spent as much. Although when that happens I tend to buy other figure lines and so forth. So I dunno, maybe a couple hundred a month?

If I had something close to a favorite character it would be Optimus. I'm up to about 30 Optimus toys.

No, never really had enough money to go o one of those. But speaking of meet ups, Naitch...think we can make some more headway on this one?

I suppose it would have to be when I got my Fortress Maximus in the mail.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:

Animated, Masterpiece, Movie, Universe, Armada. I'm almost too new to the fandom to have 5. Shoot.

Generally $15 biweekly. $30 a month (usually). It depends on the figure. Generally $50+ is reserved for Christmas.

My favorite character is probably Wheeljack. He's kewlio. I sadly have no toys of him. G1 and Alternators are too damn expensive.

I haven't gone yet. It'll probably be awhile.

Um ....... oh, God ...... probably getting the K-Mart Jetfire/Gold Optimus Armada Two-Pack for Christmas 2003. I totally wanted that more than anything.

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. G1, Classics/Universe/Henkei/Generations, Movie stuff, Animated, Beast Wars

2. This can very, but probably a couple hundred a month, on average, since I got back into collecting in the summer of '08

3. Soundwave (nine or ten toys) and Optimus Prime (47 or 48)

4. I've gone to Comicon each of the past two years, but unfortunately no Transformer-only Con yet. We'll see about next year and Pasadena.

5. Whatever point the Arrival to Earth sequence begins in the '07 movie. Say what you will about Michael Bay as a filmmaker, but 20+ years later and I'll always be grateful he didn't screw up that moment.

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Hmmm, gonna say (in no real order):
    Animated
    Universe 2.0
    Generations
    Revenge of the Fallen
    Beast Wars

Not really sure how much I spend in a week/month. I try and budget my checks as such that I have the money I need for things like gas, food, more important expenses. Anything else is divided down into taking my girl out, or spoiling her/me.

As for max I'd spend on a figure, not really sure, but much more than 100-150 is too much.

Starscream, Dinobot, Lockdown, Prime, Megs, eh...have too many favorites.

Never been to a TF-centric con, but I've been to SDCC a couple of times, Anime Expo, Quakecon, and stuff like that. Going to Botcon next year though.

Tough one, have a lot of favorite moments, either from when I was a kid, or from when I got back into the fandom more heavily around the time of the first movie. I think going and seeing the first showing of TF (2007) with my dad (I was first in line, waited all damn day at the theater, listened to music, read the novel, etc.) is a really good moment though.

12. Xeron

Xeron Well-Known Member

1. G1, Henkei, Binaltech/Alt, Alternity, RoTF

2. Depends on what's out there. I guess between zero and 100 or so.

3. Shockwave. Only got the justitoys WST and a Binaltech shockblast currently. One day I'll pursue a G1 version.

4. Never been and probably never will.

5. My family was visiting Hong Kong at the time of my 8th birthday and my dad gave me some money and told me to buy whatever I want. We went into a bazaar where I promptly purchased the new Powermaster Prime. Wish I knew what became of him, he was my favorite toy as a kid.

13. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

1. G1, CHUG, Animated, Alternators, HFTD

2. There's no set amount I spend - I buy what I want when I want it and can afford it.

3. Rattrap and Bumblebee. I wish there were more Rattraps to collect and fewer Bumblebees, though. :) 

4. No to all. I would like to, though, just haven't had the opportunity.

5. My favorite moment still is finding an end-cap covered in Autobot cars, minibots and Decepticon jets back in 1984, and then talking my older cousin into buying me Bluestreak.

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    G1, Alternators & Masterpiece, Classics/Generations, WST and the Alternity line.

Very little. I do maybe about $20-$30 in wallet damage per month. I'm really picky, only collect what I like to kinda fit into my defition of what "fits" in my collection/lines (see above)...sometimes I'll splurge for a masterpiece or a 3rd-party kit, but that's rare.

I used to think I do, but now I really think my favorite characters, as a group, are the original '84 cast, particularly the first 12 autobots.

Nope. I've been to Otakon a few times, but I'll be honest - the pictures I see from Botcon show me many of the same things I saw at Trek cons, which really turned me away from socializing with Trekkies. I have no real interest in going to a 'con unless it's held in the DC area or Maryland. Even then, it's not a make-it-or-break-it part of my life.

Walking out of the first TF film is probably the highest moment. 2nd highest had to be making, then selling, my first Nemesis Prime custom to Scourge, who's regularly on these boards. That was a lot of fun, especially since I was able to get input from him along the way while I made it.

15. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    1. What are your top 5 favorite Transformers lines?

G1, C.H.U.G., Binaltech, Masterpiece, Robots in Disguise (for getting me back into TFs after about 10 years away).

2. Roughly how much do you spend in a week or month on Transformers?

Depends on the month. Some months I don't spend ANY money on TFs.

3. Do you have a favorite character?

Starscream, Prime, Jazz.

Been to one fan meet-up and it was fun. Never been to a con.

Probably that weekend when both Binaltech Smokescreen and Masterpiece Prime were announced. I don't remember any other time when everybody seemed to be as excited.

16. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

1. Beast wars, ROTF, Animated, RID, Universe/Generations.

2. I'd say around $10-$20 a week. Depends on whats available though. I usually buy older stuff on ebay and wait for the current toys to go on sale.

3. Breakdown, Blackarachnia, Swindle, Waspinator, Sideways. I have about 1-3 toys for each.

4. No...

5. Not sure... probably when I got my first package from ebay of BW Drillbit and Buzzclaw. I had both toys when I was younger but I had lost them...

17. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wonder how many of us will just post our answers without reading everyone else's post.

1) Masterpiece, G1, CHUG (new molds only), Alternator/BT, and Animated

2) This depends on whats out. I usually buy what I want at launch so sometimes theres nothing for me to buy, other times I have to buy $300 worth of stuff in one shot. Due to an awesome friend I do all my shopping local

3) Grimlock and Jazz are my favorite childhood transformers. I have 7 Grimlocks, and 5 Jazz. I pray for a new CHUG voyager Grimlock! That stupid action master homage can DIAF!

4) I've done Dairycon twice. I would love to do Botcon but it never seems to happen. If a local meetup was arranged I'd do my best to go.

5) Being a Kid and getting Grimlock for Christmas! At the time it was my only Transformer, and since it was my favorite character I couldn't be happier with it.

18. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    My top five favorite Transformers lines are as follows:
    • Transformers Armada / Micron Legend
    • Transformers Energon / Superlink
    • Transformers Movie / Revenge of the Fallen
    • Transformers Classics / Universe / Generations
    • Transformers Generation One

While I am certainly a child of the 80's...and grew up on Generation One, I quickly became too "cool" for toys around the age of 12. My parents gave away all of my toys in a box marked "FREE." Years later, I found out my cousin (who lived two floors above us) found the box marked "FREE" and took them and sold them to a Comic Store called Brain Damage in Brooklyn, NY. He never told me. I found out one day when I went to that comic store and saw all of these Transformers with my initials on them. (My parent's would etch a little BW somewhere inconspicuous so that I could tell my toys from my friend's toys if they got mixed up.) Years later, I told my future fiance the story and she bought me Supercon Optimus Prime from Transformers Armada...which re-ignited my interest in the hobby. How's that for getting to know me?

I don't really have a budget regarding my collecting. I pretty much buy one of everything...althought lately I've been getting a little more selective with some of the repaints we have been getting. I try not to buy mass release American toys online as I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Obviously I order anything that is not sold in America that interests me online.

My absolute favorite character is Rodimus Prime / Hot Rod. He's definitely an undervalued character. The bot tried his best, but was always overshadowed by Optimus Prime's accomlishments. He's a flawed hero...unlike the perfect Optimus. Optimus Prime basically equates to Superman, while Rodimus Prime equates to Spiderman. The guy screws things up, but always tries to set them right. If they made a Rodimus version of it...I have it. Unless it's something ridiculous like a pencil or eraser.

Not yet. Unfortunately the planets have only aligned for me once...back in 2007. Botcon 2007 was both on the East Coast, and had a set of toys I was interested in. I planned to go, and asked my girlfriend to go. She agreed. That made me pause for a moment and realize that I didn't want to go. I wanted to marry this girl. I spent the money (and then some) on an engagement ring. I NEVER revealed to her that we weren't going to Botcon until I "pretended" to get lost in New York City. Times Square to be exact. I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY, and she always wanted to go...so what better way to propse than on a massive LCD screen outside of the big Toys R' Us in Times Square!? Well...things didn't go as planned, and TRU dropped the ball on just about everything. I ended up proposing at the Top of the Rock. 1.5 months remain before the wedding. A few months ago I went to the Philadelphia Comic Convention with my best friend, and I had a blast. I can only imagine what a Botcon would be like. But, I stand by my decision...and when Fun Publications stops catering to the West Coast and Middle Americans...and produces a decent set of toys...I'm in. (No offense to anyone who bought any of the other sets...they just aren't for me).

I think I kind of already delved into this, but my favorite moment was when my fiance got my that Optimus Prime from Armada. It was awesome. It got me back into the hobby. I guess that's why I am so defensive of Armada when people trash it. I actually convinced quite a few people to give the series a shot...and they actually enjoyed it once they got beyond the hate. Another big moment was when I was chosen as Customizer of the month here at TFW, and when I won the Custom Repaint of the Year contest at the now gone TFMaster site (RIP). Other than that, I would have to say this year so far has been a pretty big moment...with Fans Project releasing their "Protector" armor, and a Masterpiece Rodimus Prime on the way.

19. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I read yours haha. :D 

Dunno if you've put them together but Masterpiece Grimlock makes an excellent in scale CHUG Grimlock. I plan to get another one for that purpose once they hit saturation.
    -G

20. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

1. G1 : Vintage/Re-issues (series 1-3 were my top favorites, but I love it all.(Hasbro/Takara))
    2. TF: Animated (Hasbro/Takara)
    3. Masterpiece (Hasbro/Takara)
    3. Car Robots (Takara)
    4. Armada (Hasbro)
    5. Kiss Players (Takara)

Lots to answer in one question.

There is no way to say how much I spend in any given amount of time, because I buy when new stuff comes out (or use to).

As for maximum.. a long time ago I decided it was okay to spend crazy amounts of money on a single Transformer. If I have the money and I want it, I will buy it with no regrets. That being said, I still hunt for bargins -like with MIB Vintage G1 or current releases. The most I ever payed for a single figure was $380 and it was worth every penny.

And, I shop mainly at B&M Stores because I love hunting, picking the best one, and instant gratification.

Optimus Prime is hands down my favorite character. Diaclone Blue Bluestreak comes in a very close second... as I have been obsessed with it since 1984.

Never been to a TF convention. Don't know if I really ever want to.

August 8,1986 - First showing of Transformers the Movie.