Fan Art: First Post!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by brockwile, Mar 14, 2008.

1. brockwile

brockwile New Member

I'm new to the board and thought I'd say hi.

I'm a complete amatuer when it comes to drawing and art, I've not been trained in any way shape or form and personally I don't think I have a natural flare for drawing.
    Your probably thinking "What are you doing posting on this board then!" Well the truth is I love to draw and I've recently moved and now have suffiecent space to get back into drawing.

I've loved TF's since I was a kid back in the 80's and would love to be able to start drawing them. My main problem comes from angles and poses, whenever
    I draw I always end up drawing a TF from a straight on pose and can never seem to get the angles or dimensions right. I was thinking of using another TF pic I've found on the web for reference and basically drawing my TF in the same pose and using the same dimensions / angles. What are peoples thoughts on this? Is this considered plagiarism? If so can anyone give me any tips on how to get to grips with dimensions and poses? I know the answer is to probably go and study for a few years but does anyone know of any good tutorials on the website for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long first post!

Cheers

2. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it would be much more appropriate if your post actually contained art.

greeting threads go in general discussion.

excelsior!

3. brockwile

brockwile New Member

no problem, I'll post a new in general discussion thanks.

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    But you could always drop some art in here.

5. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

I share your pain - all my TF drawings, in top notch ball-point, are done from one of three (count'em!) different angles - 3/4 profile, front on, and not-done-right.

If you're keen, get the book How To Draw Transformers - I think Simon Furman wrote the preface and it contains art by Guido and Milne.

And, hello.

6. Incesticon

Incesticon Well-Known Member

Nice welcome...

7. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    chillax dude, the boards are a cynical place, something you get used to after a while

though as this is a fan art thread, a general rule of thumb would be to put art in the thread

8. Crystine

Crystine Decepticons Forever

News Credits:
    Hello there. It's funny you say that because I, too, am learning how to draw as well, including Transformers. The one thing I have trouble with is the dimensions and proportions on a Transformer, without some sort of guide to help me. Although, drawing humans or human like figures I am a bit better at, but that's probably only because I started learning that first (manga to be specific). In answer to your question, no I do not think it is plagiarism if you use other art as a reference or guide, AS LONG as you are only using it to get a visual understanding of how to draw a particular pose for your own characters. I would not copy anything else (the detail, color, style, backgrounds, etc. should all be original). Also, practice by changing the pose slightly as well. But then after a while, you should be able to do this without any guide at all. There really is no better way to learn to draw than by studying other people's work.

There are plenty of good tutorials if you look for them, either online or in books, but really there is no quick solution to your problem. Good art ultimately does involve learning the basic steps and then building upon your knowledge base, and lots of practice and experimentation.

9. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Please keep all fan art threads here. Thank you.