First pics of Titans Return Astrotrain figure and Ravage.

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by megatronski, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

Amazing what a repaint can do. The surfboardy nature of his ship mode is interesting, but you had to have a working cockpit somewhere I guess. I hope you know it wrecks the sense of scale, PLEASE describe his ship mode as some sort of space cruiser.

Oh yeah... Hasbro has just made the people behind Jaguar very happy.

2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    That is true, knowing the huge conning tower is actually a man-sized cockpit makes the shuttle somewhat less impressive.

3. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    G1 Springer's alt modes barely look like a car and a helicopter. You could, perhaps charitably, call them "abstract futuristic vehicles", but even that doesn't really cut it. That's why I'm glad Gen Springer didn't try to go for the G1 look. Warbot Defender did, and I felt it kinda struggled for its attempt to be a direct update of the original character model - though it was still a decent attempt.

4. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    I thought MMC Jaguar was a (unnecessary, redundant) attempt to replace MP Ravage.

5. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    haven't read through this whole thread, but astrotrain reminds me of a space caterpillar in train mode.

6. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's miles ahead of Warbot because of the design choices they made. It's a proper-looking alt mode, despite the stylistic choices. MTMTE all the way!

7. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's good for people who don't care so much for MP Soundwave, like myself. I'm not an extreme MP fan. I'll get a couple every once in a while, but I don't want ALL of them. This is pretty cool though.

8. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Titans Return Astrotrain has feet that look like the shoes that a Dragon Ball Z character like Vegeta or Goku would wear. The black shade on the end of the feet is a provocative element of this, as is the pointed shoes. The previous statement is reminiscent of a jeer that aims to ridicule a toy buy describing a quality with words that have been known by the poster to garner derogatory emotions; an example would be describing Combiner Wars Brawl predominant color as "shit brown". Jeering was not the intent of this post, but to garner some form of acknowledgement by making a statement that was thought by the poster to be an opinion unique to the audience of this forum or gain acknowledgement of sentiments.

Titans Return Ravage has a fierce face. The pattern on the screens is a variance from previous patterns on the small characters, the screen pattern has a confident and collected look. The robot form contains wings near the rear, which is a feature unique to this version of the character ravage.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Not particularly, there were wings on his missiles for the G1 model
    [​IMG]

10. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

Except it's not, in official canon, Titan Masters are normal sized Transformers, bonded to larger bodies.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well.... That's what they originally said. I highly doubt that's how the fiction will play out since the little dudes have different names from the big guys. I don't see the only major source of Transformers fiction, IDW, suddenly making Blaster and Prime and Soundwave HUGE.. I think the fiction will make them traditional Headmasters.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Awwwww... praise from an old enemy. Is there anything quite so sweet? :wink:  :lol 

Exactly. As charming as the old steam locomotive alt-mode is, I don't even begrudge updated bullet-train modes. In this instance, following the G1 example would just allow for a better figure in all three modes. As it is, it sort of smacks of being different just for the sake of difference... kind of how I felt about Classics Grimlock way back in the day.

As others have pointed out, one reason they might have gone this way is due to the integration of the gimmick... including space for a cockpit for the Headmaster in both modes. In my opinion, this is another example of a gimmick compromising the final product. Which raises the point that Astrotrain might have been a particularly awkward character to reimagine as a Headmaster.

Indeed, when you step back from it, you could basically -remove- that whole cockpit section from both modes, and it would be an improvement in both cases.

Blitzwing is a bit trickier to follow from the G1 model... his jet mode was always incredibly boxy and thick, and his bot mode was a bit more awkward, with his arms emerging out of those slots, and his feet just being fins. But I do think that with the current level of toy engineering it would be possible to correct those issues... and they still could/should have turned out a much better Voyager Blitzwing than they did. I don't know exactly what limitations Hasbro designers need to operate under... gimmicks, safety tests, parts limits, etc... but I'm also not entirely convinced that we can chalk up every misstep to such unavoidable factors. Sometimes it just seems like they didn't do a very good job. Hm.

Because it's a crappy train mode?

Don't get the two issues mixed up. Some of us would prefer the old locomotive mode... but for many of us, that has nothing to do with our dislike of the "armoured train mode". If this thing looked credibly like an authentic armoured train locomotive, I'd be all aboard (trying to be a whole train is certainly pushing it).

But instead, I think this is one of those relatively common, lamentable, half-assed alt-modes... a classic Transformers alt-mode fail. The engineering, the relative scale, the detail, the aesthetics... it all has the taste of (to borrow Artiepants' term) the "futuristic whatsit" syndrome, where weak engineering and alt-mode design is papered over with a surface application of space-age Power-Rangers styling and "originality".

It's not a new thing. Playing off robot-yoga as an alt-mode goes back to at least old anime like Daitarn or Combattler V (where flying robot-pants becomes a standard spaceship design). However, I've always felt that the main charm of Transformers is found in the way that they can successfully -mimic- other recognizable vehicle types... the way you can look at one and see the vehicle first, rather than just robot pretending (or asking yourself "what IS that, anyway?")

For me (and apparently many others) the 'train' mode of this Astrotrain figure falls short of achieving that successfully.

I was aware that trains had been outfitted with armour and guns, though I guess I never really thought of them as a distinct thing. But this is just it... I agree that an armoured train would be a cool alt-mode for Astrotrain. I just don't think this figure pulls it off well.

Yeah, exactly. I mean, I guess Roadbuster and Whirl didn't have to compete with animated G1 cartoon versions of the characters as a reference point... but strict G1 accuracy isn't a sticking point with CHUG figures the same way it is for MP figures anyway. [/QUOTE]

Exactly. Good point... which is why I keep seeing some kind of anime-style mobile fortress/land-battleship in this design.

Hm. Maybe we'll see a Broadside made from this mold as well. :redface2: 

TW and DX9 Astrotrains have a tremendous level of complexity that largely contributes to a fine degree of detail... but is not that necessary in the broad strokes. As noted above, this figure could have been engineered in such a way to allow for more successful alt-modes simply by following the loose G1 transformation scheme (similar to what Machine Boy/Fancy Cell did with their 3P Astro).

Though it does raise the question of where the Headmaster would hide out in the alt-mode(s).

Nah... at the price of a Voyager class figure these days, you could have several cups of hot chocolate with marshmallows. You need the butterfly-unicorns for added value. :) 

There is a certain charm to be found in the implication that Astrotrain is a rocket-powered steam engine. :) 

I don't think that's necessarily true (I keep using the example of the Fancy Cell version)... and certainly not true in the case of a CHUG/Titans Astrotrain, where strict G1 accuracy is unnecessary.

The issue with this figure (for the most part) is not about G1 accuracy... it's about having somewhat lame alt-modes. Or at least one very lame one.

Yeah, that's kind of how Hasbro rolls these days with any flying vehicle. Increasingly, robot kibble is just stowed willy-nilly as embarassingly obvious undercarriage... and to make matters worse, the wings are usually undersized, making them even worse at hiding this clutter. Combiner Wars Silverbolt and Cyclonus come to mind... though CW Scattershot takes it to a whole new level by not only making the wings even tinier, but also making them skeletal so you can see the kibble laid bare. Meh.

I think you mean a SEXY replacement for MP Ravage. :) 

MP Ravage is not a jaguar. He's not even a housecat. He's a kitten-sized figure, who is even dwarfed by the original G1 figure that he matches alt-mode scale with. Although he's no longer compatible in alt-mode, the MMC Jaguar is a much better size for MP, and a much more respectable Ravage. If I had money to burn, I'd totally buy him.

But... like... you can always just flip the feet around. :) 

This is... well... factual. :inquisiti 

The alternate molding used for Stripes seems to fit Steeljaw much more (especially the inclusion of the rear-mounted wings). However, the inclusion of these features on Ravage don't bother me nearly so much as the overall aesthetic of the figure and engineering... which to me just feels awkward and unattractive. I'm very disappointed with both the molds for the beast-cassettes. I don't think I'll buy either one, since I think there are already much better renditions of those characters.

zmog

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    We piss each off, but I don't consider us 'enemies'.

And for those who care, I put 'enemies' in quotes.

14. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

That is valid. Its hard to tell whether or not it is an intentional homage though. Titans Return Ravage appears to be an unaltered repaint on Titans Return Stripes, (I forgot the rest)

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It's pretty clear to me what TR Ravage is:

An easy pass.

16. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed....the cassettes terribly need new updates in alt modes and the rewind mold works for him and eject..i think rumble and frenzy need to be a little different but the animals are hurting....the just don't have anything convincing yet.

17. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    astrotrain's alt mode is far from an armored train and i wish people would stop saying it is. it's a futuristic train but nothing realistic at all.

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    "Futuristic" being the official excuse for alt modes that look like crap.

19. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fair enough. Like I said, I wasn't saying people should like it, I just get annoyed with the whole 'that's not what a train looks like' argument. I get finding the transformation lazy or uninspired, but a lot of people in this thread are arguing based solely upon their ignorance of what it's trying to be. Neither you, nor Smog, seem to be doing that, so I apologize if I came off harsh.

I only really care when you keep using them for 'friend" as in "I'm going to come over and introduce you to my 'friend' Betty. She's much pretty than Lucille. :p 

20. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

I so wanted to love Astrotrain but now not so sure after seeing the official pics. The feet are a bit too pointy and I believe that he does not have a neck looking at that first pic. You can just see that the neck is a larger part that rotates just a little INSIDE the torso.
    Hopefully he'll be better in person.