Customs: First Party toys by DEED/KOncept Art

Discussion in 'Commissioner Listing and Feedback' started by DEED, Aug 13, 2019.

1. DEED

DEED DEED TFW2005 Supporter

Welcome to the First Party Toys Discussion Thread.

No it’s NOT one of those threads. Put the rhetoric-knives down kids. Third-Party may be a dodgy term. 4th and 5th are total rubbish. But 1st party. That word actually means something. YOU, the consumer are the first party. And you the first party are the ultimate creator that’s driving this ship. So let’s talk about it.

So now that we’ve established that, we can throw our first party.

What is First Party Toys/KOncept Art Phase 3?

End Goal: create a bespoke studio and manufacturing facility to create convention style toys at a reasonable price and without the middle man

Business Model: Cooperatively Owned. Membership required to purchase toys. Higher tier required for voting rights

Are you crazy? This will never work!
    Is it? Are we?

Let’s get real. Let’s talk about what this crazy fandom has spiraled into. Let’s talk about why Transformers has the coolest fandom in the world, and why it’s also the messiest.

Getting Real about the Spiraling:

We (adult TF collectors, especially us serious ones) are DROWNING in choice. And the companies (Hasbro/Takara/3P/KO’rs/Indie-Artists) are making bank off of us. The KOers and the Indies are fleecing us the least. And I don’t begrudge them. They gotta eat. I want to help them out, frankly.

But the rest? The “Real” shit? The things with Official Stamps? The things by “Legit” companies made with “Real” plastic? They’re eating us alive and having a grand ol’ time doing it.

Remember when Fans Project City Commander was brand new, $60, and kind of a huge deal. Fans split over whether it was cool or not, hand-wringing over whether they would get sued into oblivion? Everyone complaining about “An Accessory that cost more than the toy it was made for”? Hasbro designers winking when asked if they had one on their desk?

My, my, my, haven’t the goal-posts moved?

And aren’t we chasing our tails?

CHUG was the rage. Then CHUG Combiners. Then MP. Then MP Combiners. Then Legends. Now Titans.

Not a SINGLE DAMN SCALE OR FORMAT WITH A DEFINITIVE SET OF CHARACTERS.

Remember when having a new Bludgeon or a new Abominus, or any other random old obscure dude in a modern format seemed like an impossible dream? A Female character? Whole teams of Lady-bot-combiners???

I have a bin of nothing but Bludgeons. How’d that happen? Why is there ANOTHER new Bludgeon that just got announced yesterday?

(I actually like the design and probably will buy it, Pretenders are Russian Nesting Dolls after all)

For every Optimus and Megatron we’ve bought, for every other character we’ve bought 5 times seeking upgrades in scale, quality, format, representation, every serious collector and probably most casual ones COULD have had the complete set of the guys we wanted and in the format we wanted them in.

Wouldn’t that be nice.

Format and Scale will be our first major decision.

Can’t do that, however, while we’re fighting and bickering and the “big guys” are cannibalizing each other, can we? But how do we organize?

Easy, we get frigging organized.

Why are you playing in Transformers, Mr. Super-Connected highly successful, internationally recognized performance artist guy?

Because Transformers rock. Because Transformers symbolize change. Because they were 50% of my childhood joy. Because it’s one of the most successful and largest modern mythologies the world has ever spawned.

And I frigging love modern mythology.

And brand-awareness is the key to good marketing. Oh hey. Done.

I’m old enough to have watched it in real time, this myth making. From sketchy unpopular Diakron toys, to Marvel-Penned bios on the back of slickly marketed cards in Benny’s (not to mention that crazy GUN that looked totally real), to a never ending reboot cycle redefining, refining, and expanding on the core ideas of a stpid Comic/Cartoon from 35 years ago.

This is how myth/religion/collective storytelling works. Usually over centuries. But some of us have watched it in our lifetimes.

I think the end of Lost Light, and the re-reboot of IDW has represented the turning point.

There’s still more fun media to explore. There will always be new ideas, new...ahem..transformations and iterations of the idea..but I think we HAVE reached the apex point of canon. What the core symbols are. What it all means. Who we care about and why. How they touch and represent our lives.

That shit is forged in diecast steel at this point. Transformers are going nowhere, but they’re also ever changing. Damn that’s beautiful, isn’t it?

It always had to be Transformers. Once I get my Pretender Catilla/BattleCat variant with Stranglehold/He-Man Mega Pretender Partner, then the cycle will really be complete. But I digress.
    There’s also real business shit going on here.

Ever wonder why none of the major 3rd party companies have ever been sued into oblivion?

It’s the same reason Hasbro laughed in Harmony Gold’s face when they tried to sue Uncle Potato-Head over Jetfire. And won. And broke their perfect record of lawsuit wins.

Once this mythology transforms a thing, officially or otherwise, the literal legal rights situation becomes too messy for anyone to quibble about anything beyond pure Trademark infringement and literal asset theft.

Because the myth is too big and too powerful. Call it Grand Stand Convertors if you don’t want Hasbro to sue. Put “This-Is-Not-Optimus” as the name over the Blue Head Red Truck Guy’s Box and call your company “Definitely Not Transformer Change Robots Owned By Someone Else” and you’re safe.

The iconography is too powerful. It’s untouchable. Hasbro and Marvel did TOO good a job in 83. They should have saw it coming the day TAKARA bought the rights to Hasbro’s Marketing for use in Japan, and SUCCESSFULLY Sold the same toys to the same kids and made way more money than Microchange and Diaclone together ever managed.

The ONLY thing stopping us is organization.

And I’ve got a damned good plan.

Scoff if you want. Many have, and those who have money riding on the current state of affairs WILL do everything possible to shut us down. But if I can get 5% of you people that bother to read this to get on board. We can do this.

Locked Question - Why KOncept Art Toys?

Locked Question- Who is DEED?

What will be your first project?

TBD. We need to build enough community to at least sort of sample the taste of the community and decide democratically about what makes sense to do first. I need my steering committee at the very least. I have 3 guys including myself. I need probably at least 8 more to make anything work.

How Soon can Members expect to have their first toys?

Based on my prior experience developing toys and bringing them to market plus my data from connected industry pros, I would say 3 years from go-time to delivery. ONCE WE REACH CRITICAL MASS

That’s the key. We need enough numbers. Not everyone. But 5% of this forum. 1% of the global fandom maybe? Who knows what the real numbers are? It’s the Internet. Hard to say, right? Seriously, if you know. Chime in. That’s at least 50% of the engine that’s going to make this work. Sharing knowledge. Asking the right people the right questions. It’s how I made KOncept Happen.

Raise your hand if you brought ANY toy to ANY kind of mass-market by ANY means.

I have. And if you want to share your know-how, I want to hear.

Timelines also depend on how hard you work helping me to market and get those numbers and those brains.

It also depends on how much people are willing to invest to make this happen.
    (OH NO NOT CROWD FUNDING)

Yeah, we’re not doing THAT-

Because engineering this shit is tough. And part counts are stupid. And fan expectations are high. And QC is critical. Why did Jabba's Sail Barge get made, but MP Unicron is looking doomed to a (marketing at least) failure? All this stuff.

Phase I KOncept explored all the options for doing shit on a shoestring. We kinda expected it might come to Phase lll eventually, but we hoped that our crazy alternative plans might have worked.

But no dice.

Diving in the muck with the bootleggers,. Making parts by hand or with home-grade 3d printing tech, kickstarter type campaigns, angel investors (Hi D/L), we tried it all to see if there was ANY way to make quality fan-designed toys without gouging collectors or letting bizzare vanity projects get in the way of obvious fan-focused design.

There isn't.

Hell, frigging Hasbro and Takara can’t sell you a flip changer for less than 15 US these days. 3rd party cats want 100 Bucks for a legends toy (remember when those cost a fiver?)

Show me the dolla dolla bills y’all-

This is the investment I’m asking of anyone that just wants a toy at-cost:
    (Yeah you read that right. Baseline involvement gets you at-cost toys.)

$12 bucks a year. 1 buck a month. Cheaper than any kickstarter you backed right? Way cheaper than Unicron. Much less than Solarstorm.

Maketoys is getting hung out to dry for Sunstorm QC now, Who knows how Unicron will turn out. Imagine THOSE cries once the wings start breaking at the joints or the hip ratchets are too strong and self-strip (Hi Trypticon, were you a proof of concept?).

I know I know, that sounds stupid, 12 bucks, what can I get you for 12 bucks?

You’d be shocked. We can plan a toy for that budget if there are enough of us. You KNOW the siege Deluxes are costing Hasbro less than that, at Hasbro’s scale, right?

Know how much toy I can buy you for $15 bucks a unit with JUST 1000 units.

KAT-02 Chief Fire.

Why do you think I’m giving the stupid things away????
    KAT-02 Chief Fire - Standard - Combiner - SirToys.com .01 + Shipping

Ebay Link (Ebay won't let me list it for less than .99 *Currently Sold Out*):
    KAT 02 Koncept Art Chief Fire Die Cast Transforming Robot Toy (loose) | eBay

You got your first toy for free up-front.
    We didn’t plan it together, so it’s probably not JUST what you wanted.

But it proves what I can do. 3 guys. One real investor. A little work. A bunch of networking. Free toys for the smartest 500 members of the fandom. Super deluxe versions for the 10 smartest guys who invested early.

Yeah. 10 backers. Failed kickstarter. Free toys for anyone that wants one.

Are YOU SURE I’m full of shit?

Probably going to set up a Patreon for some initial Governance (Stealing the idea from D/L actually), but in the meantime, anyone that wants to slap down 12 bucks now (and get right-of-first-refusal on steering committee membership)

Paypal is available now:
    deedperformanceart@gmail.com

Locked Question- What if I don’t want a Membership?

Locked Question- Community Rules and Guidelines?

How do we proceed from here?
    We get buy in. We build community. We polish the Business Model. We connect key people with key networks and skills to our community.

I have well drafted answers to the hidden locked posts above. Asking the right questions will unveil the answers. I will also answer any other good-faith questions about KOncept Art’s Phases I and II.

You may treat this thread as an AMA type of affair. But I reserve the right to ignore any questions that are off topic or that violate our community standards (Either TFW’s or FPT’s)

Ready? Go.
    DEED

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad to see the thread Open!

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Mangeloids

News Credits:
    Oh hey it is. Still processing this. Hopefully it keeps rolling.

4. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    This sounds legitimately interesting. :D 

Chances of getting something like a Discord server to keep anyone who wants to be informed and in touch?

• Like Like x 3
  5. DEED

Why you cross out a good idea? Or is that shit too chaotic like kickstarters are?

Thanks for dropping by!

• Like Like x 2
  6. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    Nah I think it could defo be a good thing. I'd for sure join if there were one. And I know plenty of people who would probably do the same if given the chance.

7. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

Custom idea: If you guys can do a CW Brawl mold Guzzle would be a great and easy figure to make from it. I'd be into buying one (even despite working on my own custom).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yah know, that could actually work.

9. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    I don't think DEED has made contact with the new Cool Become Brave and other companies doing 1:1 Combiner wars molds yet. But yeah, we should look into that.

Actuall he may have reached out to the CBB people and got dead air at one point...don't really remember, I'm only ever kind of in the loop other than on the Sirtoys stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

If so that's a shame. I've had a TON of ideas for those molds.

11. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    That's not to say it can't happen. I think there's a TON of opportunity there. Wj was just the only game in town when we started KAT02, and with the gushing torrents of money that we had to count to keep up with the demand of KAT02 we haven't had time to reach out to new companies :lol 

(Don't tell the boss I was anything but supportive :) )

• Like Like x 2
  12. curuthanir

curuthanir Member

I think this is a great idea, so much potential to get the models we want, as opposed to what we hope a company makes available.

• Like Like x 1
  13. badbadryan

badbadryan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ok I am a little slow sorry. What is this? I have reax the whole thread and i am very confused?

14. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Here's an idea for you that just keeps coming up elsewhere...

CW Sky Lynx into The Giant Purple Griffin!!!

I'd buy that with no hesitation, regardless if upscaled or not.

I'm still not sure how else I can support, though...
    Edit: I see the paypal now. Can't believe I bypassed that so many times.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pfg80

Pfg80 Dinobot

News Credits:
    Short version
    A nice looking Inferno, Scorponok, Terrorsaur and Megatron from your money

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DEED

Cards on the table time. Uncle DEED still only has so much forum time, but ca-chink you guys just unlocked the next gate, so no more BS or Games or Performance Art for the TF Community. You F*****s all rock my socks off. Complete radical transparency from here forward. AMA. Other than changing names to protect the innocent and not divulging legaly confidential shit, I'll tell you anything and everything. Numbers. The whole nine yards. KAT01, 02, and this project and everything else going forward.

SOMEBODY ELSE start me a thread so that you can talk "about me" and I can talk directly TO you, and not get thread-locked for self promotion or stuck in the Creative Marketplace ghetto. My shit is withering on the vine because it's wierd and different, but it's also cool, and I want to get this community exactly the collectors goods they want at the reasonable price points they deserve. Can't be any of my lieutenants either, guys DON'T, that'd be thread-legal but total shill credibility shattering. SO DON'T I need a civilian who thinks I'm full of **** and wants to create a whole thread just to try and smell it and see if they want a taste.

If I was king of 3P I'd be giving you all the shit at cost. But I'm not. So we gotta be tactical.

YOU GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!

Hey guy, you're super smart. What's your background? I'm always networking, and need all kinds of people for all kinds of projects and businesses, not just FPT I appreciate that you're savvy and not blind.

Oh yeah, about FPT and WJ. Let's be super duper clear:

**ncept and FPT toys are not, have never been, and will never be a spin off of or an arm of or beholden to frigging WJ.
    We LIKE WJ because they make a decent quality product, and they're TRYING to stretch their wings into legitimacy and are just using the only tools fate handed them (A rabid fan base who like TF KOs, are vaguely interested in new IP, and have (1 I think) talented industrial designer who loves robots. I don't know what they were making before they started cranking out the KOs, but I think this one super fan (my contact) is the only reason they're doing ANYTHING cool, and his passion is behind EVERY choice they've made that has been right on the money for the fans.

OK, does that help?

Now, let's Play Thought Experiment (Google it and don't fight with me, this is legally necessary cover, so go with me here):

NONE OF THE FOLOWING IS FACTUALLY ACCURATE IN A LEGAL SENSE. IT IS HOWEVER NARRATIVELY EXACTLY TRUE. DO NOT PROBE TO FIGURE OUT THE REAL PLAYERS. I WILL SHUT THIS CONVERSATION DOWN NOW AND FOREVER IF YOU PUT MY PEOPLE AT RISK. I WILL WALK AWAY FROM THE TOY BUSINESS ENTIRELY BEFORE I RISK THE PEOPLE WHO'VE BEEN STICKING THEIR NECKS OUT FOR ME FOR ALMOST A DECADE.

Get it? Got it? Groovy. Good. Some of this shiiiiiiiite is hot off the presses, like minutes old.

1. Let's say my chief designer happens to work a decent, but boring day job at WalMart Corporate Inc in the Sam's Club Division.
    2. Let's say he LOVES his company and wants it to succeed as well as it can (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Told you I was changing the names...THOUGHT EXPERIMENT)
    3. Let's say he's watched for decades as the prices on the one Hasbro-Exclusive they half-assed out the door years ago spiked on the secondary market (Detectives PLEASE DO try to solve this puzzle. I'll unlock another gate and give some one free premium access to the inside baseball if you can get me real market data on Store-Exclusive Hasbro Product through secondary-channels since the mid ninties to today...WE NEED THIS DATA)
    4. Let's say he was a shitty cashier at WalMart the year they did it that one exclusive that one time.
    5. Let's say he knew, even then, that while it had a LOT of good elements, it was at least 50% Garbage, from the Wrong Brand, and the WRONG Subline, at EXACTLY the wrong time, and he remembers they all went on clearance because he bought a couple himself to troop build the cool troop builders (THAT EXAMPLE IS TOO CLOSE TO HOME SO NO ONE SCREW WITH MY PEOPLE BY SPILLING THE BEANS IF THAT CONNECTS THE DOTS. IF YOU DO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT PRODUCT, DM ME. YOUR'RE SMART ENOUGH TO JOIN THE TEAM...I'm not above ripping off CIA recruitment techniques...even if half of those are garbage performance art pieces from my world...half of them, not sure about the other half, but I digress)
    6. Let's say by the time he made it to corporate he'd learned a lot about toy design through stalking Hasbro Panels and and reading everything he could find, and networking with the nascent 3rdParty community, and working with full-of-shit-visionary-but-just-biz-dev-guys-with-no-real-commitment-to-succeed (AGAIN ANY ONE THAT KNOWS THIS FAIRY TALE HUSH AND DM ME)
    7. Let's say HE believed he could do it, so we went b******t like 3 times trying to get something to happen, DIY Resin Casting, 3D Printing, etc etc etc
    8. Let's say Chief Designer while on the cusp of a life threatening health condition, reduced to living with his Clinically-Mentally-Ill Abusive Mother, happened to bump into a crazy performance artist running around the states incognito, and they met a con waaaaay away from wither of their home towns, and unlike everyone else before him, the artist promised the designer that bhe'd stay the course and make sure that the designer didn't get ****** over one more time.
    9. Let's say together, along with their gifted but unappreciated graphic designer artist buddy, they pitched a cool idea to fandom. Mostly it went ignored. The people that GOT it lost their minds. Designer was busy dying and could only half ass the marketing. Performance Artist was too busy trying to build his career, so he couldn't help really.
    10. Let's say the project failed, they got 2 1(/2)-of-a-kind test shots for free out of the whole gig, and all it cost the designer was some of his time, his prescious prescious energy, and all it cost the Perfomance Artist was an angry inbox full of bullshit from the one-trick pony Chinese factory that was too stupid to do a full test shot complete with paint apps...TWICE...to spec so we could "evaluate" without even getting a handshake on an order
    11. Let's say we've fast forwarded quite a few years, Designer is healthy and happy and married. Performance Artist is now successful, has skills, has more connections, and can actually do some proper viral marketing.
    12. Let's Designer has advanced further up the Sam's Club food chain.
    13. Let's Say Designer sticks his neck out ONE LAST TIME. RISKS MARRIAGE AND HOUSE AND TRUST OF WIFE TO TAKE ONE MORE RUN AT THE CRAZY IDEA BECAUSE HE BELIEVES IN IT.
    14. KAT-02
    15. Disaster (Sorry man, so so sorry, my greatest shame, my greatest failure. Bet YOUR farm, and lost it)
    16. Performance Artist goes full on Performance Artist as the last ditch marketing play, and GIVES AWAY THEIR WHOLE ******* INVENTORY FOR FREE TO PROVE THEY"RE SERIOUS
    17. That gets just enough attention to put together a small team.
    18. The Designer ALSO just happens to be hitting his stride over at Sam's Club and has more and better connections now including ones with the F'ing Toy Buyer and the an EVP, and so he decides that even though he's been shot down every time he's pitched Sam's doing a TF Exclusive with Hasbro, and even though his own damn contacts don't think the Toy Buyer will bite...
    19. TLDR FROM HERE FORWARD
    20. Let's say the Toy Buyer Nibbles. Just a little.
    21. Let's say the EVP has the brilliant idea that Sam's Club could be the first fucking retailer smart enough to (DO NOT GO TWEETING THIS **** IT'S NOT SAM'S AND IF YOU **** THIS UP FOR ME BY ******* UP MY PEOPLE, I WILL SHUT THIS SHIT DOWN AND WALK AWAY) do a self-labeled 3rd Party Level and Style Toy and go ahead and put it on the shelf next to Hasbro's stuff because why not, Hasbro barely does business with them anyway. (AMATEUR SMARTY PANTS DETECTIVES EMAIL OR DM OR PAYPAL ME BUT LEAVE THE DUM DUMS CONFUSED. WE HAVE EXACTLY ONE SHOT AT THIS. LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS)
    22. Let's say the plan is as follows and they just need a little market research and one good business pitch meeting
    23. If Successful the press-release will look something like this:
    • NEW AT SAM'S and Available World Wide Online
    • Maker's Mark is excited to announce the first own-brand private-label Shape Morphing Robot Toyline for Adult Collectors.
    • Sam's Seiber Soldiers
    • Exclusively from Sam's Club
    • designed by First Party Toys Design Studio
    • produced by WJ under sub-contract
    • Sam's is also proud to announce increased wages and working conditions for WJ employees because ethical sourcing is a key brand value (LOLOLOLOLOL Not Sam's!!!)
    24. Let's say the only reason Sam's is sticking their neck out is because some stupid asshole design team who wants to give away toys at cost and run a robot-toy-co-op, and are stupid enough to actually try it are willing to do all the work for zero dollars because they believe in the idea, they believe in Sam's (HAHAHAHALOLLOLOLOL), and they'd be willing to even front-the cost (AGAIN) and let SAM's nibble at the idea and see if it works, because they KNOW they can make something cool enough that the fandom will bite.
    25. FINALLY Let's say that the Performance Artist's WHOLE PLAN is to piss off Hasbro and force their hand into Hiring the FPT Design team and letting THEM run the FanClub 3.0. let THEM Run Fan Club 3.0 the way THEY want. With no meddling. And Fan Club 3.0 is doing it for fun and for free and not trying to gouge anyone, because it's all about getting to the point where they can build a bespoke cop op toy factory, and if happens to get to make official TF product, so much the better. And Fan Club 3.0 will put out of business all third party factories who won't play nice any more, and will make the 3P factories who are smart enough get on the money train and become Hasbro subsidiaries (LIKE EVERY ARM CHAIR LAWYER ON THIS STUPID BOARD FANTASIZES ABOUT EVERY DAY....YOU *KNOW* WHO YOU ARE)

This end's DEED's Diatribe about what's wrong with the current state of unlicensed TF KOs and 3P Toys that are really Just Fancy Bootlegs, and what *HE* is trying to do about it.

Before you call Bull Shit on me, there's two rules:

If you want to piss on my idea, you have to have either A: Bankrupted Yourself More than Once Starting a Toy Company. B: Actually had a custom toy run produced and distributed. or C: Have a major US retailer hook up with enough billion dollar muscle to actually change the industry.

Anyone?

Second rule. AMA. Respect my team's private lives (not mine, I got none you can find). I won't divulge any stuff in public that I can't But I will to any true believers who get on the train with us. (Hi team you can introduce yourselves and your role here now)

So that's the dealio. Did that answer your excellent question, Bleeding Sanity? Any others? This is what I mean by radical transparency. I'll give it to anyone that asks. And Anyone that asks might unlock another gate. Gates lead to more gestalsts. 5-Bug-Car-Boy here is only a Level 5 Integrated Gestalt. We got better plans in the hopper.

You wanna see? PLAY FRIGGING NICE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONEST CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK.

yeah....we KNOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW...let us convince you that we've got the design goods and the fan knowledge to run the next Collector Club 3.0...bug Hasbro into giving us the keys and letting us actually DRIVE...and we'll get some GOOD shit to market.

This is just what 3 guys with -40K Collective Bank Accounts could pull off in their spare time. We WANT to do more.

Mic drop.

17. Sanity Bleeds

Sanity Bleeds Well-Known Member

I can pretty well assure you, my level of knowledge on the BtS going ons of first, third, and fourth party Transformers production is fairly minimal. I can see by the plethora of context clues used that you're being vaguely cryptic, but I don't have enough knowledge on any of that to make any guesses in what much any of it is eluding to. I work customer service at an airline, and buy way more transforming toys than I arguably have room for, and have been doing so for about 30 years. A fair bulk of my collection is 3rd party items bought directly from China. I've never watched the original G1 US tv series all through, didn't watch the movie, read none of the comics, played almost none of the games, and only briefly skimmed Masterforce and Victory subbed episodes; I'm mostly just a transforming toy fan, not a Transformers fan, specifically.

18. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @DEED: I may be alone here, but I feel you'll find trying original designs to be something of a hard sell on a board like this. Not because people aren't interested, nor because they're specifically interested in knock-offs or "borrowed" IP, but because they're invested in more than just figures and statues - it's the characters and their stories that drive them. Many of us have grown up with these characters and jump at the opportunity to own newer and better versions of them, no matter who makes them. And it's not just a little drive in some cases, bordering rather on outright passion.

That having been said, there's always a market for a good product at a good price. Black Apple's work is a brilliant example of this, though obviously he's borrowing quite a bit in order to achieve those points. But if you can give people similar design, quality, and accessibility standards to the likes of MPP10 or M01, albeit with original characters, you could very well be on to something. It'll probably be a hard sell at first due to that lack of attachment, so you'd need to allow time to actually "catch on" before seeing any real returns.

Unless, of course, you're referring to "legit" in the sense of the traditional 3rd party market, rather than the 4th party/KO stuff. A new take on existing characters, like the figure in this thread to an extent. Which isn't exactly legit, but would fit the premise of original designs (though with some "inspiration"). I'm not sure how well that would fly on US store shelves, though; at least not the kind of shelves which would have products at the price bracket you're aiming for.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Maximus Danz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I don't entirely know what deed is saying, but here is our thread with updates coming soon:
    First Party Toys FPT-01 "Quin-Predicus"

20. gibdozer

gibdozer Love Gun

Pretty sure most of us have a good idea who you are, personally I don't care much about dwelling on the past. You're only beaten when you decide to stay down. The TF industry has become so fucking boring and repetitive with the same characters releasing over and over I'll support anything that shakes that up.

Might I suggest a mini comic packed into figures like Motu and MMC used to do. Some kind of story to build your own brand/mythos would go along way.

• Like Like x 2