First look of PF Studio Series Ratchet and Siege Starscream!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Obomber, Jul 23, 2021.

1. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I’d have preferred them painting the wheel wells black instead of wasting the paint budget on weathering.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
  3. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    I doubt the choice was “well we could paint the inside where the tire connects or give the figure weathering”. That area is little to never painted especially since it could hinder how freely the wheels spin. If it’s that big of deal get it and take a sharpie to it. Wheels just pop off anyway.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, if the entire vehicle is painted (like on some MPs), the paint on the hinges is gonna rub off real quick. You can see it already in these pics.

He's near-perfect, I really wish they would have just painted the black trim over the front wheels. That's the most glaring paint omission.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
  6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Remember when the Studio Series line was supposed to be THE definitive and most accurate figures when they started?

• Like Like x 5
  7. Pteraxadon

Pteraxadon RirFib supporting pterosaur

It would have been cool if he came with saw and gun instead of only the saw

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still definitely think that it is that, but like all Transformers toylines it's just suffering in the paint apps department, and movie designs tend to require a bit more paint than G1-style figures to bring out the detail, so the lack of paint stands out more.

The sculpted detail in Studio Series is still far and away the best we've ever gotten for these designs, and when you have a proper paint job to match it, you truly get some mini-Masterpiece type figures, like Grimlock, Jetfire, Shockwave... etc.

• Like Like x 9
  9. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

Coulda done without the scuff looking paint on the shins/feet. It looks odd, especially when the rest of his bot mode is clean.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    MAGNIFICENT.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    they kinda still are. 6 figures in a Japanese exclusive line from a line of 77+ doesn’t make it obsolete. I still think SS ratchet is really good as with most of the figures from it. Much like 3P add ons it’s always easy to take something released years previous and either add more paint or add something to it then creating something from the start but let’s not forget that these figures is nearly twice the price of the originals and not a wide release for just extra paint apps.

the fandom loses their shit over a couple dollars increase. Would you really want this level of paint on wide release while also being $35-$40 per deluxe?

• Like Like x 2
  12. IDWDrift

IDWDrift Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    Guess I\'m keeping my 2007 voyager. 

13. Mattymo

Mattymo Banned

News Credits:
    not a bad toy at all

• Like Like x 1
  14. SlickPrime

SlickPrime Lazy Guy with a 3D Printer

Well that just got me to cancel a bunch of these premium finish figures that I was on the fence about. I was pre-ordering them all out of the compulsion for completionism but that chipped paint on the vehicle mode is a deal breaker for me on ratchet and if I'm not going to be buying all of them, I'm probably only going to be buying one or two of them.

15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    definitive and most accurate*

*except for about half the paint apps, the giant kibble backpacks and the even more definitive ones we'll charge a premium premium for later on. does not include characters we couldn't bother to finalize the design of before selli--- DELIVERING the product to you. you're welcome loyal fans!

16. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% in this case until someone gets it in hand, but keep in mind that a lot of these early in hand examples are hand painted prototypes and the paint chips very easily. I would be very surprised if it chips like that for the production versions. I have zero interest in these figures, I just wanted to keep others informed. I guess wait for reviews to see for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  17. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel a like they were trying a little harder back in the early days. But they've always needed more paint. I've had a lot of fun painting these guys.

This line is definitive simply because it comes closer to being complete at something resembling one scale and aesthetic than any other movie line. Previously they kept changing the size from movie to movie and the sculpts just varied too much.

Honestly more than half these guys are in a bin and will probably never be displayed again (especially the ones that have gotten MPM or 3P mom treatment), but I keep buying because this really is the definitive movie line just because it's so much more encompassing. It does help that I have fun painting them!

Edit: There are a number of figures where I feel older versions from other movies or 3P versions are actually superior.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sigmus Prime

Sigmus Prime Seein' Spots!

I'll second this.
    And though I'm not a fan of that eye-searing green (if those photos are truly representative and not just the result of bright photography lighting, which wouldn't apply under ordinary circumstances), this is still worth a purchase for me thanks to everything else it brings to the table. All the silver detail really goes a long way, especially compared to the washed-out original release.

19. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    They still are. The PFs don't negate Studio anymore than MPs do.

And they were never billed as "the definitive and most accurate..." that's what fans labeled them. Which isn't true. They're still subject to all the same limits as your typical retail figure.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No toy will ever be The Final Ever. Tech, materials, engineering and budgets can always change. At best a toy can be "the most accurate yet". Even G1 Optimus Prime has gotten 3 Masterpieces, and I bet you that a Convoy 4.0 will happen before 2030. Ultimately, you were never going to get perfection at $20USD. And hey, PF is NOT $20, so it's not supplanting SS's place.

• Like Like x 3