First look at MPM Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Ra88, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And do it towards the start of RyS to get people on board. No point doing it at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  2. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    The smoke stacks are collapsible.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sigh... Now we'll have to wait for months for it to come out...

• Like Like x 5
  4. Deonasis

News Credits:
    Because it is a masterpiece. I guess the headlights follow you like the eyes on the Mona Lisa.

• Like Like x 7
  5. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was waiting this figure but when finally saw the pics, I'm not impressed at all.

Have several interpretations of ROTF Leader Optimus Prime, one of the best Transformers IMO, and just was waiting more.

6. Sigmus Prime

Sigmus Prime Seein' Spots!

Welp, frag me flying for sleeping in late today.

Or maybe that's a good thing considering I went through all possible stages of emotion in mere minutes, as opposed to the people who spent hours discussing this. :lol 

For the love of...

SPLIT LIP - 1, Sigmus - 0

Agreed. But it's a prototype, no? Paint's sure to be somewhat different on the final product.

Both MPM Bee and Prime are confirmed by Hasbro to have diecast, in case anybody was still wondering.

I feel like these stock images are more on par with those horrendous Bumblebee ones we saw recently, rather than the first round of Bee product shots which looked amazing. I'm willing to bet Prime will get some better photos accordingly. Basically what Megatronus said:

So there will be a Takara version? Or am I misunderstanding?

Fixed it for you.

go_away_pirates_caribbean.gif

To be completely honest, I feel like if his head were a smidge bigger, his chest wouldn't seem so large in comparison.

No, that's not right. If MPM Prime is Leader Class size, a properly scaled Bee would be Deluxe.

thecons.jpg

Of course, MPM Bee is Carbot (or Voyager) size, so it won't be a perfectly accurate scale.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit bummed by that. I can ignore improper scale from any other TF line, but I've come to expect as close to proper scale as possible from Masterpiece. Not that's it's a dealbreaker... it's only a dealbreaker if MPM Prime turns out to be the same size as Bee (which I'm pretty sure he won't).

I was wondering/hoping the same thing.

Agreed 100%. :) 

---

So yeah, as far as my opinions on the toy go... the wait was definitely worth it. But I have to agree with what SPLIT LIP said awhile back - I'm not as blown away as I was hoping to be. It's a great figure, possibly better than ROTF Prime, but it's not as amazing as I was anticipating. HOWEVER, let it be said I'm retaining full judgment until better photos (or the figure itself) are released. I'm genuinely curious to see what the final paint layout looks like, if the chest can close in further, what the size is, etc.

But yeah, it looks fraggin' great, man. Like, holy jeez. I love it. Pinstriping for the win. Mask-switching gimmick is awesome. Glad it incorporates the Matrix! I appreciate that there's no chrome and that the swords are separate accessories. I'd like the windows to be more opaque in the final product, and hopefully, that gun ends up having the nice silver wash. Compared to ROTF Prime's, those forearms are pretty good... but the flame placement is an eyesore. Articulation looks to be phenomenal, and the head sculpt is gorgeous. I can't WAIT to see how this mold is treated in the future, what accessories could be included in later releases, and most of all, what 3P companies will provide us with.

Now somebody please give us decent stock photos.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yes, there will be a Takara version. AFAWK, it will actually be identical to Hasbro's.

Or the weiner on the statue of David.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I didn't understand why they didn't made the tank fuels as the cannons, but now re-watching this scene, he still has the tank fuels when he holds the two guns, so i think they came from the back but they're not the tank fuels. Screenshot_2017-04-27-17-13-02.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I think it's funny that the movie lines have become so cheap, and simple...that the movie masterpiece Prime for TF5 is a heavily retooled, modded version that we got for ROTF eight years ago.

That was also the Prime that broke the trend of innovation, and quality in each successive Classics/Movie line. Because dumb people that couldn't transform him, and people stupid enough to buy him for a three year old complained "it was tooo difficult. Wahhhh. I can't do this." Hasbro was more than happy to oblige those idiots with cheaper quality, and less intrigue unfortunately.

Since then for me as a collector it's been a sad time as far as Generations, and the movie lines since. Dark of the Moon at least did a few interesting things, and delivered a Stellar Iron Hide, but as time has gone on the quality and finish of what's available has become dismal. The interesting puzzle aspect simplified too much, and articulation disappointing.

On the flip side, I still get that from Takara and Third Party MPs, and sixth scale figures, and that's fine. But I still miss the days of hunting for a new wave, and the excitement that came with it. There's nothing to hunt for anymore because it's all crap imo. Hunting for Quarter scale TMNT Ralph is the first time I've been able to hunt for something in years.

10. Deonasis

News Credits:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  11. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Mmmh No, he isn't.

• Like Like x 11
  12. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except it's clearly a new mold with non-faux headlights, doors on his chest, a completely different arm transformation, the wheels are on his thighs instead of his hip kibble.

My gosh, Combiner Wars has completely broken us.

• Like Like x 17
  13. IcedPhoenix

IcedPhoenix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well i dont have photoshop on this computer but here me out.... the chest slides back the arms tab in ala rotf prime maybe thats the slot on the blue part people are talking about. im pretty sure the slot your seeing and keep circling is just molding for the "collar" he has in the cgi renders. but i think the truck bonnet slides in and up only after, and hear me out.... look at his crotch it looks like a hinge between the two circle bits, perhaps that entire stomach/abs section flips out enough that the neck joint gets covered by it then the bonnet pushes up and in over it but it hides the neck joint?

• Like Like x 4
  14. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what I think too - it's just sculpted detail.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The pot calling the kettle Wahhhh?

• Like Like x 5
  16. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im guessing with this figure like all other transformers this will propabably get repaint as well what surprisedme the most is prime and starscream figures are famous for there repaints but fans never got repaint of movie prime in ultra magnus colors all white im surprised by it all other truck prime figures got that repaint into ultamagnus all except for movie optimus prime

big deal get grip its not end of world so figure is not transformed properlly its toy not statue not piece of art picaso art is not perfect people get paid transfom figures for display to show people what to expect nothing more

• Like Like x 3
  17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's really not. At all.

The only reason you think this is because the RotF Leader mold was already designed be be as "Masterpiece-esque" as possible. The Masterpiece follows a lot of those footsteps because they already figured most of it out ~8 years ago. But compare the two toys side-by-side, and you'll find that everything about this is a ground-up re-engineering of the whole affair, and you'll surely find a number of surprising differences when you actually handle the figure.

• Like Like x 11
  18. Sigmus Prime

Sigmus Prime Seein' Spots!

Gotcha.

19. Actar

Actar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, that's the collar. We're referring to the hole in the side chest piece next to the collar where the collar can slide in.

• Like Like x 4
  20. IcedPhoenix

IcedPhoenix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ya know regardless of all of this, is no one gonna say anything about the diecast? in his feet and shins?

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.