First look at Kingdom Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

I don't have proof but I believe it was the no gun policy that necessitated the extra feature. Dang "safety" and other tangential laws.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Missing Sunset

Missing Sunset i eat the figures lol

I definitely think it’s this. I can’t hold Siege Springer on one hand and base Shockwave on the other and say that Shockwave has the parts count, engineering, or paint to justify his leader price point while the former doesn’t. He’s got some ratchet joints, sure, but that feels like an afterthought to accommodate the extra bits.

Selling him with a pretty blatant gun mode was probably out of the question, though. Have they ever done that for a normal size figure with only one mode to transform into? I assume they didn’t want to sacrifice the alt mode for Shockwave’s first true-G1 CHUG showing. Hard to blame them, as the base robot is such a good representation. Don’t really care for the extra bits either, though.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

I had to correct in the bold. Bulk or massive in the numbers spenders. Unlike us collectors who are the 20% minority of Hb's clients.

4. fanbase0000

fanbase0000 Well-Known Member

Transformers is the only toy line that I collect. People here don't seem to understand that inflation is a real thing. Plus, Transformers is unique toy line in that it has 2 distinctive modes; thus, offering more playability. In stores at a big box retailer a deluxe Transformers is $20. I look around and see other action figures toy lines that are similar prices like MMPR, Marvel Legends, DC Comics, Star Wars, WWE, McFarlane toys, Super7, etc most other action figures are static figures with one or two accessories like a weapon. Comparatively to other toy lines Transformers are a good deal.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

That's how my internal logic worked as well. POTP Rodimus came out 3 years ago for $50, and was fun but is hollow, boxy, and 30% backpack. If they left a trailer off of Rodimus, he could have worked as Leader, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was at least considered for awhile. There wasn't a way to get him to the WFC level of design and including the trailer without bumping his price up. I happily paid $25 for the nonnef kit for the ER Prime I happily paid $50 for. I don't LIKE the price tag, but Rodimus Prime had to be a Commander to happen.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Strafe28066

Strafe28066 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just curious, is the sword of Primus compatible with other figures or is Rodimus the only one who can hold it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

AE2574D6-35E0-4669-BFD1-D1B1E28E78F8.gif

• Like Like x 9
  8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

I still hold to the fact that TFs are still cheaper than Macross and Gundam. That right there justifies pretty much any TF for me. Hell, a 1/72 Valk costs roughly the same price as TR Fort Max and both Cmdr Class Rodimus and Leader Galvatron are two well made figs that *still* are cheaper and more durable than popular model kits.

The closest comparison in Macross to Fort Max in size--the Macross Quarter--costs nearly 500 bucks.

• Like Like x 4
  9. 2fabdad

Perfect Point. The problem is not the cost of the figures it’s that people (like head cannon) think if hey complain enough about price hasbro will magically give them the figure and hey want at the price they WANT to pay.
    It doesn’t work that way and never will.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's also the puzzle aspect of Transformers, you're essentially getting a minimum of 3 toys rolled into one

• Like Like x 7
  11. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    Every time I’m tempted to gripe about TF prices, I look at a comparably-priced Marvel Legends figure across the shelf and remember that we’ve still got it pretty good.

• Like Like x 8
  12. 2fabdad

Those 50$ Huge Captain America’s with limited Articulation are bought out by grandma’s buying their grand children toys and have no idea they’re getting ripped off

• Like Like x 2
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    If the kid loves the toy what's the ripoff? People still pay import prices for Sentai mecha and those have been bricks for 45 years.

• Like Like x 3
  14. 2fabdad

True. It’s the perspective I suppose. Guess it’s just up to the consumers to decide what’s of value.

• Like Like x 1
  15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    That has always been the case. And if that stuff keeps showing up, it means the consumers approve. It's why I stopped caring about one-steps. I saw how much little kids love them so I know what purpose they're serving.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Mardroid

Mardroid Well-Known Member

I've been looking into buying some star ways figures recently (so far I have the Black Series Mandalorian figure and I have a Legends Han Solo figure on preorder) and I was curious at the price compared to transformers. I'd have thought the Stat Wars stuff would be a good deal cheaper, considering what you get. Not a criticism of the Star Wars figures, I'm mainly referring to the fact they're obviously not transforming.

To be fair the Mandalorian figure might not be a good example as he has more accessories than average (the Black Series Boba Fett figure is even more, as you get more accessories and flame effects, etc), and the metallic finish is gorgeous. But even comparing with other figures, Transformers as a whole aren't a bad deal. And even taking away the transformation, they're generally more posable too. Love my Mandalorian and Drizzt figures, but neither have waist rotation, (although there is a bit of abs crunch). Or everything is overpriced, which is probably closer to the truth.:p 

Obviously companies want to make a profit, but I bet if we compared the actual costs for creating a figure including materials labour etc. to the selling price, there would be a huge gap. But then your paying for the service too. In the end value is pretty arbitrary, but I do think companies take the Michael somewhat.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cost of materials and labor isn't the only factor that goes into pricing. There's also overhead (salaries and bills) to keep the company running. Only an idiot that wants to go out of business would sell stuff at or close to cost (not saying that's what you were saying, but this discussion comes up often enough and it's a factor that a lot of people willfully ignore)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Same here. I had to remind myself kids should be able to play with transformers toys too.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mardroid

Mardroid Well-Known Member

Oh I know, and I knew I'd missed costs there, just giving examples. I'm personally not really complaining. I actually meant the post to be largely positive with my comparison of transformers value to other figures, but one thought leads to another... Etc.

Speaking as someone who has worked for production/goods company (not toys in my case but same principles apply) the markup (on most goods. Some stuff was sold at a loss, but they're way in the minority) is quite an eye-opener though, but that's the world we live in. Nobody is forcing us to buy this stuff after all. Overall we're pretty privileged, being in a situation where it's a source of complaint at all.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't take it as a negative post in any way :)  I work in production too, estimator for a construction company. Overhead is always a thought in my mind and I just find it silly that people get so mad that Hasbro makes a profit off their figures. I'd definitely say Transformers are the best bang for the buck compared to their other product lines by far.

• Like Like x 3