First look at Kingdom Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, Mar 3, 2021.

1. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So he can handle and hide the matrix and that's for 80 bucks...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

Now that we know what's in this you can try breaking down the cost and comparing to other figures.

He is in scale with other WFC figures, roughly OP size. If that was all that factored into cost we could say $30, but it isn't. The engineering adds quite a bit, and he seems to have gotten the Hot Rod treatment. So maybe estimate $5-10 more for the base figure including rifle and matrix: $35-40.

Trailer: Optimus's trailer bumped the price by about $20. This is a more complicated, more robust trailer with more paint apps. $25-30.

That gets us to $60-$70 for the base price before factoring in the turret and the 10 effects parts. Are those worth $10 (a Core figure)? Cetainly. $20? That's a harder case to make. Let's split the difference and add $15 to the base price for the accessories and I'm looking at $75-85, so from a distance it seems fair to me.

• Like Like x 19
  3. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Advocate for orignality in Transformers.

Eh, let's not forget Optimus already had a detachable turret, just not as big. Still, it does seem to add up. I'm just not certain I'm willing to pay all that extra money for engineering enhancements I could do without and blast effects I'll ignore.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ricardo Dawkins

Ricardo Dawkins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thing doesn't hold a candle to Jetfire or Sky Lynx

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    4l8ivv.jpg

• Like Like x 35
  6. Darkstone

Darkstone Code of Hero

News Credits:
    False statement. Jetfire has articulated hands but a built in 5mm port that swings out for the fist, so you would need to find a candle that can fit which is unlikely. Sky Lynx doesn’t have hands to begin with so he would need to carry it in his mouth which is rather unsafe.

Rodimus on the other? Perfectly fine articulated hands with extra, separate index fingers. Perfect for candle holding.

• Like Like x 24
  7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think you understood his point. He meant dinner table candles, not birthday cake candles.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Enotsmirb

Enotsmirb Roll Out

• Like Like x 2
  9. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member

Didn't put his heart into making rodimus ....., and if he's soooo enthusiastic with transformers, how the fuck did he let that abomination of the can combination get through....., maybe he just worked on the tiny pistons for the back door. He was in charge of "playability"

If you look at the scan hotrod in the back of the, $50,box part.

Hot rod is the same width as the car that sticks out of thr front of the box part. Hot rod, dimensions wise looks like he could sit way in front of the box part too. They're similar size, and then back part under the yellow spoiler, which is not Canon at all, that doesn't add any more size to him.

He may be. Taller, but altmodes are similar size, without the box

But the engineering cost is severely reduced, because it's already done for them with Hotrod, it's just a case of changing the shape of afew panels.

A retool doesn't warrant the same amount of engineering costs in your equation, because it's a functional transformers on the table from the start, it's just adding a few bits, and taking bits off. Removing the fake hood actually simplifies it and leaves more space

They should really pause the release plan. Recall it, replace the face and rework the cab attachment aesthetic.

Hasbro should have learned from the lightning collection bullshit (I don't know details, but I think they fucked one of the figures heads up, so they sent out new heads to all who bought it

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
  10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m really excited for Rodimus as I find his robot mode excellent in terms of proportions...unlike Galvatron...whose proportions look terrible like a playskool toy.

Rodimus’ face...is abit serious but I can live with it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a huge difference there. The Power Rangers example is a couple of cents worth of plastic and paint and whatever the cost of a mailing envelope is, to the few thousands of fans who even bother to mail in for it.

Sending a toy for complete retooling/redesign is tens of thousands of dollars in steel casting and tolerance re-tuning.

It's very clear that you don't really understand how this whole thing works. You're just another in the long list of whiny fans who've merely picked up enough jargon to fool themselves into thinking they know better than the entire scores of designers, engineers, and analysts who collectively earn millions and billions of dollars annually through their combined efforts.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 22
  12. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  13. moonDUST

moonDUST Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I don't know in what kind of environment you work, but I don't know any professional in my surroundings that thinks: "well lets fuck this up for our customers and give them a true abomination and you know what let's over price this too and screw our fans even more". As a professional you usually tend to like your work and want to produce the best possible work within what is reasonable given the circumstances /challenges (budget, resources etc). Also producing figures like this is a team effort. I am sure John and co did their best.

Do I agree with all their choices, no. But then again I don't know the bigger picture. I don't know why choices were made. But Im pretty sure none of the choices were made because they are uninvolved and don't care. All of the the Hasbro Transformers team talk very passionately about their work. Well at least at the conventions and during fan interactions..

• Like Like x 22
  14. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No it's an entirely new mold nothing shared, it's also larger than the deluxe, and Matrix chamber, yes!

I'm still kinda worried about the front wheels.

• Like Like x 15
  15. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible TFW2005 Supporter

That's true of a lot of fans and trailers and extra parts. Certainly long been a complaint about the MP line. But my point was simply the cost of materials and parts that are there, whether you use them or not, seems to justify being commander class. More importantly, I simply don't see an easy way to get this to a leader price point without a trailer that is significantly worse than OP's.

1) It isn't a retool. It isn't using the same mold. It doesn't even share any of the same parts with Hot Rod the way ER Prime has Siege Prime legs.
    2) At most it uses shared engineering, but we will see when the figure is released.
    3) When talking about the engineering costs I wasn't just talking about drawing up the plans, but the tooling, parts count, and assembly costs of the figure.

• Like Like x 11
  16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tooling costs significantly more than the design.

While the information is becoming increasingly more apocryphal, I'm pretty sure Aaron Archer had let it be known (back when Orson's World was a thing on these boards) that HasTak would typically spend $1M per typical Deluxe toolset, circa 2003 thereabouts. As talented as the HasTak designers are, there's no way they're getting paid $1M per figure. Even $1M annual salary is pretty questionable.

While design is still a significant factor to R&D costs, it's certainly not the governing one. Just because they can save 25% design time by reusing some engineering or whatever isn't a significant enough factor to be able to cost a toy down an entire size class.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I’m not a fan of the character but this figure looks promising. I like that it’s more CHUGgy than the very cartoon-leaning design of Hot Rod.
    I just wish the trailer weren’t obligatory— it would be nice if they offered it without the trailer at a lower price point.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IronEnder17

IronEnder17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never got that request. That just reduces him to a big hot rod. It's like taking away the lynx portion of skylynx to get him for a lower price. It's no longer the whole character

• Like Like x 4
  19. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's probably because he never used the trailer in the cartoon in any way.

Starting from Energon almost all new Rodimus figures have been designed without a trailer.

• Like Like x 3
  20. IronEnder17

IronEnder17 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's new. This is representing g1 rodimus, more specifically the toy. So it would make 0 sense to make rodimus without his trailer. Optimus is fine cause trucks come without trailers all the time. But rodimus had his physically integrated into his alt mode

• Like Like x 3