First look at Kingdom Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Norita man

Norita man Well-Known Member

Oh sorry my bad.
    You are correct, I misinterpreted your post. It was obvious when I read it again.

My apologies

• Like Like x 6
  2. grimtnt

grimtnt Armada is older now than G1 was in 2002

News Credits:
    No worries :D .

Honestly with this thread in particular it can be hard to tell.

• Like Like x 6
  3. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Okay. I guess that puts me in the "not buying it" camp. Clearly I don't have the same energy for these things as you do. I've never seen such an impassioned argument for personal accountability in response to a comment about rather not having to pay extra for a box I won't use.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

623982A3-1658-4555-BA8A-F6E114697BF5.jpeg 4D28535C-A3D7-403F-8191-2F00F7338674.png 490AE2E1-6E8E-40E9-84DA-B82625C42BC7.png 1B40DE86-185A-44BC-84A9-92F090CB1DBD.jpeg

A few quick reminders of how, when you think about it, Rodimus Prime’s alt mode is kinda dumb and always looked bad from the beginning.

Even as a 5 year old, I said to my brother, “He looks like Grandpa’s motor home with flames and pipes...”

It’s always looked pretty ridiculous, whether the cab sticks out a little or not, where ever the giant yellow spoiler sits, or how the exhaust pipes come together....
    How picky do you wanna get about the whole thing?

If you want more accurate, track down the $200+ MP-9.
    Compared to that, $80 doesn’t sound too bad.
    Remember, toys are about the Fun!!! If you don’t like it you don’t gotta play. I’m genuinely astounded at the level of bitching I’ve seen about this, or Galvatron.

He’s a motor home with flames and pipes!!!!!
    It’s inherently ridiculous. If it doesn’t look “perfect” or worth $80, that’s fine, no one would force you to buy.
    And there’s a real solid chance that one day, maybe a couple years from now, they’ll make a Rodimus that appeals more to your aesthetic senses.
    They’ll never stop making new Hot Rods and Rodimus’s.

• Like Like x 18
  5. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    I think it's just that after Hot Rod, people had really high expectations for toon accuracy, and Rodimus doesn't meet them for a lot of folks.
    Glad for those that like him but he's an easy pass for me.

And FWIW, even as a kid, I thought his alt mode was bitchin! Still do!

• Like Like x 9
  6. jksit1

jksit1 The Chosen One

Ok so after looking at the new images...
    Positives:
    Good looking Bot mode
    Articulation and part count
    Trailer (Box only)

Negatives:
    Shorter than Optimus Prime and will be more noticeably than Galvatron!
    Colossus (From X-Men) shaded face paint
    Alt mode, the way the cab connects to the trailer
    Missing paint apps from the wheels. I would have preferred they sacrificed a few effect parts for this!

• Like Like x 2
  7. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy cow I think I remember that show! Looking into it, the person who made Knight Rider apparently developed it.

Question: between this, and earlier references by others to the GM Bison, does anyone with deeper familiarity with the design process for the 86 G1 character concepts know for certain what, if any, real world vehicle Rodimus was based on? Has it ever been stated anywhere? Or are we just left to try to infer as best we can?

Either way, I love these weird old retro-future looking vehicles. I still wish the aesthetic of "the future" in real life had turned out more this way. More utilitarian and angular and brutalist than sleek lol.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

*eyetwitch*

THEY MAY H--whoa, wait. Lemme try that again.

They may have royally screwed his design up in S3 repeatedly but Roddy, in both bot and alt mode was pure badass from the getgo in the 86 movie. :D 

• Like Like x 10
  9. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

Well, Hot Rod’s designation was “Cavalier”, which I suppose included setting stylistic trends. Lol
    There’s something to be said about how ostentatious it is, no doubt!
    Over the years it’s won me over, and I’ll even agree that it’s both “badass” and “bitchin’”, don’t get me wrong. :D 

But, it’s still inherently ridiculous, in the best way. That’s why I’m confused why people are so automatically turned off at this Commander Toy’s alt mode. It’s weird and cool and ridiculous as it ever was!
    And separate that cab from the trailer, and it’s even cooler, IMHO!
    I genuinely don’t get the hate.

Considering how spot on the SS86 Hot Rod is, I guess I can see what you’re saying, about expectations.... it’s still hard for me to understand the vitriol though.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Those people with high expectations were setting themselves up for disappointment considering Rodimus is in Kingdom, which has much less focus on show accuracy than SS86 and from the outset leakers were saying he was more toy influenced than toon

• Like Like x 4
  11. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Same. I will order one and buy the second at retail. Galvatron will be one and done.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rcho

rcho Well-Known Member

Now why couldn\'t Earthrise Optimus Prime look like this? Everything should have folded in with no kibble.. everything is properly painted?

13. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:

I'm pretty sure this is what he's going to look like too, especially since Warden said he's to scale with Optimus. Now the problem is that Galvatron is going to be taller than Rodimus, which is ridiculous.

14. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Probably because Earthrise Prime has a smaller budget. But nooooooooooooooo, people don't want to understand the difference between Optimus and Rodimus, they're just Voyagers with boxes

• Like Like x 5
  15. Alpha-trion

Alpha-trion Sentai Warrior

Where did this pic come from?

And, if this is anything in cannon then technically the new figures is almost accurate, sans split in the exhaust pipes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    It's from an episode of season 3

• Like Like x 4
  17. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

My hangup with this figure is still how much of the cab sticks out from the trailer. Everything else looks good.

• Like Like x 2
  18. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member

That's a contradiction. If everybody is claiming er and ss86 are the same line, they would be coming from the same process, each as movie accurate as the other. If kup blur and hotrod were supposed to be in er but got pushed out for shellformers, then there's no excuse for rodimus to be so off.

I think the people complaining, about people complaining, don't like that they are starting to see the fuck up too, and have to fight with themselves to justify buying it. They are getting doubt too.

Some people will buy anything hasbro puts out, which is part of the problem. If people spoke with their wallet and didn't buy it, their sales figure slump would hit them where it hurts and they would have to go back and fix.

The playability argument is moot. Kids aren't buying this, it's not a play item, and definitely not at 80 bucks. This is purely for adult collectors. And should be aimed at their sensibilities.

This doesn't work otherwise, marketing an expensive toy to kids of a character none of them know who the fuck it is....., with a fancy opening back box with a fancy cannon and pneumatic back door hinges. They wouldn't care if the car doesn't connect right, because they have no idea what it's supposed to look like. But their not buying.

So instead they're aiming at collectors a figure supposed to represent the character from the 86 movie, but the altmode isn't accurate because theyve include loads of play gimmicks, that add nothing to it for the collector.

Its an abomination. It doesn't satisfy either demographic.

Same for er prime, k ultramagnus, K galvatron,

I have had mft rodimus on the shelf as a placeholder, I too think the rodimus altmode looked bad Ass from the first time I saw it. Always hoping a bigger version would release to scale with the rest.

But after these two reveals, being so Half-assed, I'm actually just going to get the mft galvatron and have those squaring to the side of the display to represent the end of the movie.

My nostalgia is strong, hotrod and kup are excellent. I thought takara legends (tr) kup was good. But it's more accurate. They easily could have tool what they achieved with blur, kup, hotrod, and even springer, and produced movie accurate ones, but they didn't. And if we can see the problems, they definitely realized them, but didn't care. I'm not going to congratulate that indifference by giving them my money.

If you guys like it, thats fine, but there's no way these are the definitive versions. I hope you can live with that

• Like Like x 2
  19. Alpha-trion

Alpha-trion Sentai Warrior

Damn, I need to go back and watch some Season 3 episodes.

I thought someone was going to tell me it was from the Japanese continuity.

This makes me dig the alt mode even more now. Besides, mine is going to be displayed in Robot mode anyway, but I am liking the concept behind the design a bit more.

• Like Like x 3
  20. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member