First look at Kingdom Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Daimao, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    To be honest, I think I'm passing on this (unless I get a very reasonable price). The size and lack of accessories don't bother me (that much) but the lack of paint and particularly this colour scheme is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I would be all over a Rodimus Prime with a darker deco (similar to Season 3 which is the look I associate with Rodimus the most) and painted rims.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wasn't a thing with Rodimus toys until the Masterpiece did it.
    It's not so much that I barely see Season 3 as canon - so much as I see the 1980's Cartoon & the subsequent Japanese shows as fairly inconsequential in it's entirity... So basically I tend to think about the G1 shows as much as people think about Beast Wars Neo or Car Robots (i.e. not much). You are not likely to see my face in cartoon discussion and you are not likely to ever see me critise a toy for a lack of cartoon accuracy - heck I was complaining loudly about Masterpiece Sideswipe's shoulder launcher being bland white or Starscream's wing logos being on upside down as Sunbow are morons doesn't excuse ruining your toys - as shown by the sheer blandness of MP Inferno and Ironhide.

I didn't start collecting Transformers to have them look like Actionmasters as the default. & yes the detail can also be "to much" (Siege Soundwave I am looking at you) - but I am always going to be thinking about

1) The play features
    2) The general appearance
    3) The transformation functionality
    4) The accessories
    5) The decoration
    6) The appearance of the vehicle mode
    7) The robot's face

That sort of thing - if it's accurate to a cartoon I don't care about is very much a secondary consideration if it's one at all.
    Not that I am stopping anyone from wanting cartoon accuracy if that is there jam - but all I can say is that cartoon logo on Masterpeice Megatron makes me twitch. I will always be toy focused in these matters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member

In the photo holding the matrix, if you look, the bits he's holding, the handles look to be translucent too. If it includes "1x matrix" and its just translucent blue like the effects piece, that's even more insulting......, urging you to buy hotrod for the closed matrix to go in his chest.

I'm even more dubious. I suspect I'm right here :/

It would have been smarter to just copy the mechfanstoys engineering.

The more I analyse it the more it annoys.

I think part of it, is they make magnus, prime, and this * almost * good, so the mp is still the standard and appealing to some. I would guess a new mp rodimus could be coming. It's the only reason I can think of.

How did this end product pass final meeting?

- "Sir, the alt mode sits too far forward from the trailer, look at the reference images.."

- "ship it!"

And the complain when 3p companies show them up.... *cough* 01-cell not unicorn

I'm begging that company to take this and fix. They've got the....., touch ;) 

I just can't bite on this

• Like Like x 1
  4. RootNegative

RootNegative Well-Known Member

The first two commander class figures were awesome IMO. As soon as I saw them I was stoked. I may not be the biggest Rodimus Prime fan ever, but I do like him. I like the PotP version, even with all his shortcomings. I also really like SS-86 Hotrod. I thought they did a lot of great things with that figure, and was ok paying $30 for a deluxe plus type figure.

I'm just not excited about this figure. It looks (and maybe I'm wrong, and my opinion will change) like a $30 voyager figure that shares a lot of engineering with the Hotrod that just came out with a $50 box attached to it. I will reserve judgement until I see some better information. But I instantly preordered the first two commander class figures. This I'm waiting to be convinced.

I'm both happy for people that are excited for this, and understand why a lot of people are disappointed. I think both opinions are correct on this figure.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Well it's his money............

See?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Trevor Belmont

Trevor Belmont Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Annoying too large back then ^^

7. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member

But the the way it combines and completes transformation isnt

8. Dann86

Dann86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The reason it didnt happen till the MP was cause they didnt have the budget and design/production skills till then.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Nice. Not perfect and I can see some things I definitely would've like to have seen different, but in general I like it. To me, without a doubt, the best Rodimus Prime ever made by Hasbro/Takara -- and I include the MP with that.

If what people say about him being taller than Optimus is true, I will be very happy. To me, Optimus and all other voyagers and leaders are too small. Plus I can use a Rodimus Prime about the size of Magnus.

The trailer base I'm not feeling and never have. Found it a ridiculous trailer in the 80's and still do. It would never have happened but as far as I'm concerned they could've thrown G1-accuracy out of the window and designed a better trailer base. As for the altmode, I love DX9 Carry turning from the complete truck into the robot, but I think I like this better. It's what I wish they had done in the 80's: turn the robot in a sportscar/cab (like with The Highwaymen series) instead of whatever it was. Actually, not even sure I will ever use the trailer.

As soon as this is up at Amazon.com, I wil likely pre-order. It will be more expensive with international shipping and import taxes, but I'm not sure I want to play the dice with the European Amazons -- SS86 is already a disaster and several of my Kingdom pre-orders are still far in the future and some things even cancelled outright.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Dann86

Dann86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To get the bulk in though it makes sense. Sadly real world physics havent managed to copy cartoons yet

11. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member

The wheels on his arms are so thin!

The backpack looks like it's going to limit waist rotation, and the matrix is definitely not painted.

This marvel legends level hasbro corner and cost cutting. Half assed.

Its look with earth rise prime the only half redesigned him, the siege legs barely transform, are too long for it and the wheels still show. For the price it's not good enough

• Like Like x 1
  12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Yes.:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dann86

Dann86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How isnt it?

14. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, Hot Rod is probably the best mainline Transformer figure ever made, and this looks to be the same level, but whatever floats your boat I suppose.

• Like Like x 12
  15. eliot

eliot Well-Known Member

16. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

Gotta say I’m a little less excited for this than I thought I would be. Things just seem off, and stylistically this guy looks a lot more like a third party figure than something Hasbro would have made lately in WFC or SS. I am a big fan of Rodimus Prime as a character (Hot Rod not so much) and I wasn’t too disappointed by the POTP leader.

I’m not crazy about the alt mode, or the colours. It would have benefitted them to try and match/build on Studio Series Hot Rod’s colours and style, because they look like different universes. All that in a $150 price is not an easy pill to swallow.

Maybe he’ll look better in person and in in-hand photos.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh, so that means I can do stuff like this.
    Screenshot_20r.png

Welp, I'm sad again.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Dann86

Dann86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it looks mistransformed but if its proven otherwise I will hold my hands up but that wasnt the point I was making the point was the front end always was a beefed up Hotrod looking car.

19. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    10 effect parts for 10 times as many chances to melt your figures and take paint off.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    0C3DB217-6862-426D-8D2C-0AF03FF56B62.png

Good lord that looks bad.

• Like Like x 3