First look at Generations Whirl

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Fixed it for you.

Oh so now Whirl doesn't have a Special Friend then ?

But Chromedome and Rewind do, am I supposed to read something into any Transformer "Partnership" now as a potentially sexual one (like the Arcee Wheeljack flirting thing) but with boy-bots ? when it comes to IDW ?.

Is there a hidden agenda. especially considering how some people make rude comments about what a certain IDW person looks like (which I will not repeat).

Oh and I'm more likely to hate IDS than IDW if I was going to hate something - IDW just mystifies me that it has the official seal of approval on what is fan fic written in part by who 'was' actually a fan fic writer and another writer who take the realms of self reverence into self parody. I just think that it seems to me the people writing this stuff are more interested in themselves than the franchise they are writing for when they go out of there way to attack everything it's ever stood for with a sharpened axe to an extent that would almost make Michael Bay blush.

Now I know that the Transfandom as a fandom and as a production side is not known for it's rationality (Don Murphy springs to mind) but I keep coming back to the same core question do Hasbro care about their own Franchises as what they have done with Gi Joe in past times makes me think they don't.. and that makes me constantly fear for Transformers - not that I think it will cease to exist - but that it will become something other than that which it started as.

I'm not against new things in all cases and I'm far far away from being a G1er but I do think from time to time there's some misunderstanding of what Transformers is now and in the past and what it should be in the future and brand examples that are even made in the same year contradict the heck out of those core principles. The prize example is this ; IDW's Arcee is a walking insult to mental illness, Transgendered people, Woman in general and G1 Arcee. They actually managed to make Arcee even more offensive to woman than the Japanese did by making her a secretary.

But look at Prime Arcee - yes she's not always the most stable lass, but she's hardly a walking sexism trope either. and neither was Airachnid either. The worst you can say about either is it puts across the message ; "Woman are Trouble". which is a tad impolite but I don't see it as much worse with them two than saying Bulkhead is aimed at Obese people.

All I really would like is consistency - for someone to make their mind up and stick with it across the whole brand like they have with the concept of "sparks" only for the Females of the Cybertronian species..

I guess I'm fighting for fembots rights here is all and IDW is just the kings horse in that fight.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Internet Soldier

News Credits:
    I really hope he's completely mis-transformed, and his cockpit chest pulls out, and you can have his weird ED legs.

What the Hell are you talking about?

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How can a robot be gay, straight, or otherwise?

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I kinda feel the same way. I don't think I'll pass but I definitely wanted a more MTMTE style Whirl.

5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    gah!!!

Aside from the overly large cockpit, it's so PERFECT!!!

I always wanted a G1 Whirl!

6. UltraPrime3000

UltraPrime3000 Banned

Buying that on site.

7. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    For a second I thought it was a kitbash of the g1 figure.

8. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Its sight people. SIGHT!! If you are all going to say the same thing, at least spell it correctly.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Congratulations, you win the Most Nonsensical TFW Post of the Day Award!

10. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    He probably doesn't know that himself. It's just the usual wall of bullshit he sprouts every time someone mentions IDW.

It's like a defence mechanism or something.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to think not, but there are some IDW designs that are just cooler than their original/previous designs, and Whirl is one of them.

And again, I don't think the problem is that he's too much G1 as in looking like he's from the 'G1 universe', but that he's too much G1 as in literally being the original toy, minus skis, plus articulation. :) 

But hey! This thing is out there now, so hurray for those who dig him, and seeing just how much incredible product is coming out in the Thrilling 30 line, only a very small meh in a sea of hurrays for the people who don't like it. :lol 

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I was kinda hoping it got an Obsidan style helicopter mold, but hey it´s awesome!

Oh and Red Alert? You should not post while drunk.

13. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Looks like a cheap ko

14. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal N/A

News Credits:
    What a piece of crap!

They would have been better off just repainting and remolding the Tomahawk mold.

15. Back Alley

Back Alley Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, the biggest difference between Chaos Theory Whirl and the G1 toy is the chest piece. Maybe it pulls out, in the same way they had Blitzwing's dual G1 and Animated nods? Otherwise I'm curious why Botcon goers said it was IDW based.

16. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    He's okay.

17. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this is how the guy posts when he's drunk, he's an alcoholic, mister. ;) 

Some people with very bad eyes? Sitting in the back of the room and projecting wishes on blurry pictures? I dunno, this is like the 'Generations Metroplex looks totally like the Fall of Cybertron one' over again. Still a bit pissed about getting hyped for that :lol 

But this is the fandom where some people say Animated Arcee blends in perfect with the Generations versions of the movie cast. Some people are just not very good in telling designs apart or something. :) 

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Looks very G1 Toy-like, rather than the MTMTE version most people were expecting. I still think it looks okay, but it's probably mistransformed, and the shoulders are probably a lot more solid than that.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    One can only hope the Hasbro designers don't foolishly make sweeping generalizations about several thousand fans.

20. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Well the head it pretty much MTMTE....and that's it...

Honestly I'm not sure those people even knew how IDW Whirl looks like....I bet that they just though since everything so far was IDW based that he was as well.

Or maybe Whirl get trashed in the comics real bad and will be rebild into this body in the future so he'll be acturate a la Goldfire Bee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.