First Info & Screens on Some Revolution Games

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cy-Kill, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Howdy,

IGN updated tonight with information on a few games currently in development for the Revolution. One game is called 'Raid Over River', and the other is a Japanese golf game. 'Raid Over River' is currently without a publisher and Revolution development kits, and the golf game screens are from a PC, but they're expected to be very similar. A third game is detailed, a horror game, but little information (let alone screens) are provided.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/694/694589p1.html

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/694/694551p1.html

For games in development, those visuals are quite good I think! For me, if most Revolution games look like this, I won't need HD or crazy powerful CPU's. I'll be satisfied with that amount of graphical quality when coupled with the unique controller. :) 

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Not bad. Looks like the consoles are up to where PC games were a year ago graphics-wise. Hopefully one of my friends will pick up a Revolution so I can give it a try when it's out.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I thought I had posted the Raid Over the River screens awhile ago... oh well :p 

Anyway, yeah. Im excited for ROR. First its a good shooter type game. But second thing is how I think this game may use the Rev controller. Look at the second screenshot. Notice that the ship is shooting downward. Im thinking you move the ship with the D-pad/stick, and you use the remote to take aim at diffrent angles. If thats how it will work, I must say it is a possible NICE twist on classic gameplay mechanics.

4. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Raid over the river looks pretty sweet. I love shooters. Being a vertical shooter and the name I can't help but think it's a nod to the atari classic River Raid.

5. Cy-Kill

Hey, sorry dude. Didn't know, otherwise I wouldn't have posted. :banghead: 

Yeah, I could totally see the game being played that way. I envisioned you use the controller as the ship itself, and where you move or angle the controller, that's where the shipd would move. But that'd be too easy. :D  So your way makes more sense to me.

6. Gigatron_2005

Actually, I think I forgot to post em here ... I know I posted them somewhere... mabye it was not here after all.. :confused2 

Anyway. Im really rooting for these NIBRIS guys. Lets hope Nintendo makes a dev kit available for them soon. :thumb 

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

those does look good...can't wait to see more...and to see people actually playing it

8. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Well, I guess the Revolution isn't bad in graphics. But the controller still sucks, causing Nintendo to make me cry.

9. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'm actually more excited about the nintendo than the 360 and ps3. its a new idea for games, instead of a plain old upgrade.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Looks like a worthy upgrade to River Raid from the Atari 5200. Man I loved that game.

11. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I'm really looking foward to the game and the system. I've been playing games with regular gamepads, mice, and keyboards for ever and can't wait for something new. If the real deal is as good as the concept art I can see this as being major compitition for the other 2 guys, especially at the much lower price point.

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Yeah, I agree that the Revolution seems more interesting to me than the PS3 or X-Box 360. Graphics are okay, but I'd really like innovative gameplay instead. And a new controller style is bound to be innovative.

Raid over River does look interesting.

13. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

You know at first I was worried about the new controller (and that's ME doubting Nintendo so you know it's bad) but as I play the DS I realize something.

Controllers have been picking up more and more sticks and buttons because games demand more versetility of control. Eventually you realize a finite number of buttons are a limitation that holds game design back. The DS's touch screen basicly allows game designers to change the interface to suit their needs.

I think the revolution could do the same.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Nintendo's the guinee pig....Analog stick, now seen in all the consoles.....connectivity, now seen in the PS2-PSP...hopefully the REV will set another one

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Hopefully they've got a very strong patent.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i think the revolution controller could actually work in a very similar manner to the ds's touch screen. it's the only other system i could possibly imagine playing a game like meteos on. that would be pretty cool.

17. Cy-Kill

I wonder about that too. Gamespot reported on rumours saying Sony was tinkering with a controller similar to the Revolution's for the PS2. And I thought I read a few rumours about Microsoft doing something similar (although these rumours are probably just fake).

Before, I usually kinda brushed off commented made by Nintendo, that they were always being copied (which I know is true), but lately I've been really noticing how much they have been copied. For example, when Nintendo demonstrated the DS, they went on about how the touch screen would change the way games are played. Now recently, Microsoft implemented a similar system for their Origami project. I know you need a touch screen-type system for what is essentially a portable desktop (since you need to simulate a keyboard and mouse-input), but when Microsoft commented that you could controller and experience older PC games in a new way with the touch screen, I immediately thought "wow, way to copy".

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

so they really are sticking to 4:3 bleh

19. Gigatron_2005

Thats an unknown at this point.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

What's known is that there won't be full hi-def support. That in no way means there can't be any widescreen games. It will possibly be left to the developers to choose to support widescreen or not, as was the case with GC and PS2. It almost definately does NOT mean no hi-res support at all. The GameCube already supports 800x600p output, and I strongly doubt that they'll be downgrading.