First info about new Transformers cartoon courtesy of Michael Bell!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Chris McFeely, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

For those of you concerned about the new series being just a "filler" line...

Remember the "filler" toy line between Cybertron and the '07 Movie? Yeah, what did they call it... Classics??

Bring me some more "filler" like that please.

P.S. Johnator--how many hours per day does it take for you to search out every thread that even implies "Animated" and post the exact same trollish opinion every time? Seriously, I think Bill Murray had more diversity in his life in "Groundhog Day."

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Good point.

Buncha deaf poozers....

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    I won't get my hopes up too much about the show, although I HOPE it's on the quality level of Ani and BW writing.

As far as toys, I just hope they have a more traditional look than Animated so that I can blend some in with Classics!!!

Oh! What if they went TOTALLY crazy and tried to blend the show with the current ongoing comic to promote sales?

*faints

4. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

While this is true the effect is still the same of pissed off fans.

Yes they aren't doing it in some sort of Megatron style evil plot but that really doesn't make anyone feel any better when Hasbro stops making the stuff they like in favor of something else. If you like Classics/Universe and there aren't any of those figures on the shelf you aren't going to be too happy about it just like if you went to your favorite Italian restaurant and they said they weren't doing pizzas for a while because spaghetti was the big thing right now.

Really too bad they can't just walk down the halls at Hasbro HQ to ask the Star Wars team how they manage a mix of releases instead of the crazy all or nothing plan the Transformers team likes to use.

5. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I believe someone in this thread said that their kid was confused with all the different versions of the characters.

That's the answer. Hasbro had a system going on during Animated where none of the characters in animated were going to be getting a Universe counterpart as to avoid confusion amongst their younger audiance. We, as collectors, know who's who and what not, but parents most likely won't. That's why we're getting a filler series. Keep the franchise on the market and then switch back to the movie line when TF3 hits. If they kept Universe, The cartoon toyline and the movie lines on the shelves on the same time, it'll cause confusion.

You'll get stuff like: "My son want's an Optimus Prime. Oh look, this one says "Optimus Prime". This must be it."

Nope, it's the one from the cartoon series, not the one from the movie.

If anything, this'll keep going on until the movies end or the movieverse's popularity runs out. We'll get a new cartoon series between every movie release, a new toyline to go along with it, a revival of Universe, and then when a new movie hits, Universe will go back into hibernation and the cartoon series and toyline will end, making way for either a new series or perhaps a continuation of the last.

6. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    First of all, I've said this already in previous threads as well.
    Animated was not canceled due to low sales. It has a whole host of reasons being canceled, including the fact the CN studio that makes it fired, and transfered all the people on it, let alone nearly all have left CN now since they've gone financial issues from reality tv. That's fact. Pay attention already to other news besides just TFs.

Everyone else has stated reasons too, including timing of the new channel.

Second, this new show is not filler. Filler was like the 4 years of anime we got so hasbro could restructure their plans which eventually gave us the Movie, and TFA.

With this new channel comes new oppurtunities. They can renew this show as much as they like, as they have full control over it. They don't have to bow to other's whims. Or even worry about anime companies doing their typical 52 ep BS. This show has just as much chance to succeed and be renewed as often as BW, TFA, even Gen 1. That's the perk to doing things domesticly on the production side.

Everyone's freaking out from 4 years of filler and the premature death of animated. And while the 4 years of anime (story-wise) marginally blew, Animated has other reasons as to why it's gone.

Hasbro has full control of their own media now for once. This is nothing but good, and all people can do is whine. And tbqh, it's annoying how much people will fabricate to prove their side right, when in reality we have everything we need for a hit and continuous hit now.

Hasbro 100% in charge - check
    Susan Blu Associated - check
    Transformers being hotter than ever? - check

Then we run into the fact of the channel needing 24/7 365 day programming.
    Which means even the 26 episodes of the new GI Joe toon, has the potential to be renewed. As does this toon. The only way it'll die, is if hasbro deems it a flop. No one else. No corporate mis-haps with reality tv, no Anime companies that do their own thang.
    Nothing. This is essentially a birth of the new G1. While I'm sad to see animated go, especially with as well as it was doing. I look forward to seeing how this may fare since now it's in good hands, with nothing else to harm it, save for itself. Even the movies won't hurt it.

Let's look at ironman armored adventures for example on toon nick. Is it like the movie? no, will it get renewed? - yes. Will it be halted because of the movie? No. Do kids watch it anyway? Yes.

So deal with it. Animated was successful, and this new show may not end anytime soon.
    Not even for the movies.

The toys are an entirely different matter. Store shelf space is only so much. The channel doesn't have this problem.

And if you want animated FACTS, check the ratings reports, and toy sales.
    Fact: ANimated had higher ratings than Ben 10 Alien Force. Yet B10 AF is back because CN commissioned it to be made due to their own marketing reasons on superheroes now. (They hate paying the DC royalties, as stated after JLU ended. Brave and the Bold is the only exception since it's batman. In fact Ben 10 originally was going to be Dial H for Hero, until CN decided they wanted an original work so they could make more money on this super hero boom.)
    Fact: TRU has marked animated as one of its better selling lines.
    Fact: CN has lost the entire crew that worked on animated due to their corporate mis-haps and misleadings about funds. I don't mean just isenberg, the entire team is gone from CN from their recent hoopla. Even the creator of Dexter and PPG has since left CN.
    Fact: Everything Susan Blu has worked on for transformers has had, at minimum, 3 Seasons. Gen 1, BW, even TFA. In fact TFA even had outlying points for a season 4. BW/BM technicly lasted for almost 6 seasons. And Gen 1 had technicly 4 but over 100 someodd episodes.
    Fact: The four years of anime do not reflect on the longevity of this show. Anime plays by a different set of rules.
    Fiction: Animated died cause it sucked lawl
    Fiction: This new show will be killed for the movie
    Fiction: Hasbro hates fans, and likes to confuse kids, and make bad tv shows.
    Fiction: Hasbro is killing transformers with these constant reboots they keep doing.
    Fact: Hasbro hasn't a choice in the reboots for the most part. Between anime doing things the way it does, and CN's corporate mis-haps. The last 5 shows have had unbelievable bad luck when it comes to that. (But that was always the plan on the anime after RiD proved so successful. If you can remember, Transtech was canned for RiD because RiD was cheaper to do, as were the following 3 years of anime.)

7. gabumon

gabumon papertoy designer

News Credits:
    Yeah. I see that as a plausible business approach. Keep a rhythm going, as long as they keep the quality up to par.

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Okay, details on this please? Hard info or links to threads here. Thanks.

- Coeloptera

9. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Just to clarify a few things Deadend:

When I say filler, I mean fill the gap with new stuff until the next movie is released, not re-run Cybertron, Armada, Animated or whatever so they can focus on other things. Animated, while very good, was still a filler show that did it's job. It began after the first movie, ended before RotF and kept Transformers on the shelves.

As for the Iron Man thing, have you seen any Armored Adventure toys on the shelves? I've only seen them once. About 4 months ago. At this point all there is is the show itself. That's it. So there's no risk of confusion by letting it run even when Iron Man 2 hits, because there's basically no toyline to support it. Transformers can't do that. Every TF series since G1 has had a toyline. They can't risk having toylines bleeding into each other because of what I said before. It'll cause confusion amongst it's main consumers: kids and parents.

10. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    That's the thing, toon nick doesn't care about the toys.
    Wolverine and the X-men toys will be gone next year too. But the show will carry on. All they care about is that the show is successful for ratings and revenue ads, which it is by their own reports. I was excluding your toy filler comment, because it was on the money about classics. Anything successful, will get a comeback around if they can, because of just that, it was successful. Hasbro has also stated CN was co-owner of TFA, since it was co-produced.
    TFA stayed on shelves during the movie toys without an issue either. If you look at the 08 christmas store shelves. TFA was right there alongside movie toys.
    And was again this year as well. Heck, in the 08 christmas season, they had 3 lines on shelves at the same time. The movie toys, TFA, and Universe 2.0.
    But they've also stated various lines being on hiatus for the movie, just to have them return after whatever brief stop gap. So no, the movie toys will not harm the new toon. If anything they'll use it to push old merchandise out from the toon, to get new toys out after the season.
    That confusion you speak of, isn't a big deal either. A toy sold, is still a toy sold. Which makes room for more merchandise. Hasbro knows what it's doing. Like back to the 08 christmas season, Movie Bumble Bee was still a hit, as was animated, so Toy stores had both on shelves. Even though the movie itself had been out for over a year at this point. TRU for example was getting new cases of movie toys for the holiday season itself. Then we also have the fact, three starscreams were on shelves. Movie, TFA, and Universe 2.0 all at the 08 christmas. Yet still, all 3 lines proved successful. Look at the 08 walmart exclusive even of bumblebee. A 3 pack that covered all 3 generations on shelves. Universe 2.0, Movie, and animated. And yet it still sold out even though it was the same character 3 times.
    It's kinda like looking at MU and the animated toy lines. Yes all the marvel animated toy lines are going to the wayside, but kids will still eat up the MU line inspite of the style differences.

You also have to look at it like this, Hasbro ISN'T just a toy company anymore. Now they'll be getting the same revenue streams as places like nicktoons. So a brief time of toys not on shelves for a certain series, won't phase hasbro like it could have in the past, when they solely were a toy company. Effectively now, they are double tapping the market. Toy sales, AND revenue ads.

As for links, I don't bookmark every news article I read. But if you google the ratings, or even go to mccracken's blog, among other creative talents that used to be CN, you'll see those remarks too. There was a new cartoon project over at CN that went belly up financially that was using the teams from TFA. Which consisted of the foster's home people, among other hit CN shows. So any of their blogs can be used as evidence. Sadly I've since forgotten the name of the show. But it went from one giant toon project, to several developed as their own shows, to then all axed cause of financial constraints, which made the majority quit, because CN lied about their funds, and lost a large amount on reality tv.

Google Cartoonstitute, that was the proposed idea, that revealed the real constraints CN was hiding and the reason they've been airing an amazing amount of old stuff now, including teen titans, and JLU.

11. SmokescreenWRX

SmokescreenWRX Dude. Wait, what?

[​IMG]

Yeah, I dug his approach as Clint Eastwood as well. He pretty much played Depth Charge as "The Man With No Name."

Boooooo! :lol 

12. Raziel3024

Raziel3024 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping this lives up to Animated.

13. jon3pnt0

jon3pnt0 EpicVoiceGuy

News Credits:
    Several tfw-friends got my hopes up about getting into these auditions myself... after some research I found that the auditions were for LA-ans only and I sadly don't live there. Also, voiceroy brought up the point that Mike Bell may not have been supposed to be mentioning the auditions as those are often kept confidential under confidentialily contracts by the VA. Anyways, it is not an "open-to-the-public" audition. I will go cry myself to sleep now.

14. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Only like 3 more hours till the trailer!

15. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Wrong thread.

16. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm guessing we won't hear much more about this series until at least Botcon 2010.

jD001

17. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    ROFL woops, thats embarrassing :lol 

18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    *HUG!* That would have been sweet to hear you doing some of the voices!

--Moony

19. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    My apologies for posting on a somewhat (2 weeks) old news thread, but I just couldn't stay silent about some of the things here.

First: great news about a new cartoon. I'll take Kickback's aproach though and expect it for 2011 instead of 2010. :) 

Second:

Agreed. And I also wonder about the style. From reading the whole thread, but not listening to the podcast, it seems to me the style is up in the air. Style IMO being: Movie, Classic, Universe, Transtech, WW, etc.

Who's to say it'll be non movie related. Wouldn't surprise me if it's indeed movie related.

Third:

Well, as I said, the new cartoon can be movie related. So it wouldn't be cancelled for TF3.

:rolleyes: 

Weren't those also by Hasbro?

Hmm. I seem to remember getting a big special figure for the 20th Anniversary. What got G.I.Joe for their 20th?

I've always said that the reason Transformers' 25th was so poor compared to G.I.Joe's 25th and Star Wars' 30th was mainly due to three well known facts:

1) It coincided with TF2. I guess you could also say "poor G.I.Joe and Star Wars fans. They didn't get a movie for their 25th and 30th."

2) We had already gotten our anniversary-like figures in the form of Classics a couple of years earlier.

3) It's much, much easier and cheaper to manufacture new Star Wars and G.I.Joe toys than Transformers.

Fourth:

Why diss Gold Lightan? Gold Lightan was a great cartoon. You should see it.

And they looked like lighters, but weren't lighters. It certainly didn't incite me to smoke. :p 

-airfox

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    They had better enact that policy of