First Fanaticon report: "What's done is done, and what's done is great." SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ra88, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The first report of JesterJJZ, the guy who won the Fanaticon contest (have they ever even announced the winners? o_O ) and who got to go to ILM's studios. VERY interesting tidbits in there, like ILM originally hating the designs (they did NOT design them), wanting a white Ratchet (too late for reshoots) and trying to convince Bay to go for the mouthplate (going as far as rendering all of his scenes in both versions).

Anyways, this is just the first report. The second one will include more goodies, like pics and perhaps even a few videos. ;) 

http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthread.php?p=971128#post971128

2. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    wow so they did want him white you know i have warmed up to the designs to be honest and i dont mind the flames what i dont like is the mouth but hey plenty other Optimus primes had mouths also so its not that big of a deal

3. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Arghhh, I don't know how it's possible but I really want to see the art book more now! Would love to see the first initial designs and how ILM tweaked them from there.

4. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I find this all encouraging, interesting, and disappointing all at the same time. I'm a mixed bag of emotions at the moment.

5. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

So CGI artists can be big cry babies, moaning over nothing and having hissy fits the same as 'normal people'. Why am I not surprised?
    But.... every single one hated the designs eh? "Everyone" flipped out?
    Yes... I see....

6. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Red, please tell me you're joking.
    I mean seriously; are you really saying that people who have a different artistic opinion then you are considered cry babies who moan over nothing? I mean that's just not cool.

7. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

I don't think redsquadron's excluding himself in that statement, Chaos Prime; we're ALL human, even the ILM animators, and we all overreact to drastic unexpected directions when it catches us by surprise.

8. turk128

Hence, when Bay talked to them about the direction he was going with it, they were fine.

9. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I'm just surprised to hear professional artists threatening to "walk out" over some designs. Given the diversity of what ILM have done in the past it came over as a bit 'petty' to me. One of the first things I ws told in graphic design college: Don't let the client know you think they're idiots, even if you do.
    Didn't mean to suggest anything more extreme

10. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I see where you're coming from now. I'm sorry Red. I actually missed that paragraph entirely. So I apollogize. I assumed something that I was mistaken for.

11. JesterJJZ

JesterJJZ DM.net Stooge

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
  13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Jester: You = lucky b*st*rd. Congrats again man :) 

14. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    So there are 48 transformations in the movie?? That would oh so rock my world!!!!!

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Very interesting read. It's especially interesting to know that (some of) the ILM animators were also taken back by the designs & detail choices, and at the end of the day, basically everything was indeed Bay's sole decision. That seems like a shocking amount of power to give one person even if he is the film director. I kind of assumed Hasbro had as much say as he did but just kept a lower profile about it. I respect the animators that tried to sway some of Bay's decisions since it helps confirm that a lot of these are indeed old TF fans that paid attention to the past - not just more people only saying they were TF fans when interviewed about it.

But whatever, what's done is done so there's no use for anyone to go on tirades of what could have or should have been. It may or may not be a good movie, but there's no question that will definitely be a fun movie. And all of my not-so-positive feelings on the designs aside, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it in a couple more weeks. Probably more excited than I want to admit, actually.

16. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    Where does it say this?

I dunno i reread this thing 4 times and i am not seeing the "walk out thing"

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

18. turk128

I'm pretty sure there's even alot of detractors on this board who would love to see the original pre-production art. For me, the earlier the versions of them are the better; you can see the thought process going into them. (Yes, even if they are like that leaked art of Prime who looked twice as jagged a Megatron's designs.)

So, yes, I sure damn hope ILM and the studio releases art books as in depth and detailed as the NT Star Wars art books.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Hehe, he later mentioned that it was just a cheap plastic frame over another car, that even had the handlebars glued on...xD

20. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm sorry but this is a bit too much for me to swallow. That type of blatent unprofessionalism from one of the leading special effects houses? Not to mention the fact that people from the Aussie screening said Megatron has conversations with Opitmus Prime...yeah.

I am not saying you are lying, I just feel that you are being swayed by your own stances. It is pretty clear that you love G1 and it is how you define Transfromers. That's great! And you have every right to not like the designs and the direction the movie took. You can make a real hissy fit if you want. In fact, I love the fact that you seem willing to be able to enjoy the film for what it is and not hate it for what it isn't. But IF what you said about ILMs reaction was completely true (and not just true to the person you spoke with) then I REALLY don't think they are going to appreciate it being blasted all over the internet!

To make myself as clear as possible I am not saying you are doing anything malicious. You clearly loved what you saw, even if you didn't like the design of it. I just...can't help but feel that your report from ILM may be a little biased. If not from yourself then the person/people you spoke with. I can't think you talked to the entire staff that worked on it.