Firrib Wait! It's not what you think! Changed opinions

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Jan 28, 2017.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Seriously, it's not THAT debate. If you wanna debate the whole FIRRIB/FIBRIR thing there are plenty of threads to do so. The question I'm asking is, has your opinion ever changed? And I'll extend that to any topic, not just this one, but I chose the thread title because that is the debate that lead to me thinking about this and asking this question.

So a little more context. Back in the glory days of the 80's when I was a kid playing with the G1 toys, reading the comics and watching the cartoon, I was hardcore in the FIBRIR camp. Every time I watched the cartoon my brain would automatically swap "Frenzy" when ever they said "Rumble". The toys said the blue one was Frenzy as did the comic and all promotional materials put out by Hasbro and clearly this was yet another example of the cartoon animators getting things wrong. Clearly lol. Now in my later years I have to concede that if I am going to be intellectually honest about this that the cartoon version of Rumble is blue. It's consistent and they never stray from that, even calling the red and black one Frenzy for that one episode that he shows up in season two. So the answer to that at the end of the day is "whatever is on the box". But here's my conundrum: I recently got the MP Soundwave with all the cassettes. The box identifies the blue one as "Frenzy". But with the piledriver accessories it is clearly meant to evoke the cartoon model and intended to be the toy version of that character. In spite of my opinion when I was younger, I look at the toy now with those on and think "Rumble".

So the question is have you ever found your opinions on something changing the way that I have? And with this situation in particular do you think it would intellectually dishonest to still think of it as Rumble even if the box says Frenzy?

2. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM I'm a Colossal boi

News Credits:
    Me Grimlock says that this is a thread waiting to be locked when a fight happens. (jk lol)
    Anyways, I've always seen it as FIBRIR because most toys feature Rumble as being red and black.

• Like Like x 1
  3. transtrekkie

That's how I always saw it as a kid, but my opinion changed in the last like, ten-ish years. Have you ever had your opinion change on anything TF related?

4. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    Definately. For example, Prime used to be my favorite TF show and now, I see its just a show for newbies.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

for the record Frenzy appeared in about five episodes of season 2 and at least one in season 1

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    the simple answer to the question that brought on this topic is this:
    The masterpiece tape in question was not designed to be Rumble as US G1 fans know him but as his japanese counterpart. This is due to the figure being designed and produced by takara (unless we are talking the US release here) so then what was his name in the cartoon in Japan? :p 

7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Growing up on Marvel UK I always felt Rumble was red but given how much he appears in the G1 cartoon, if you watch it enough it really does influence you.

8. transtrekkie

Which ones? I only remember him from the beginning of "Auto Berserk" and of course, a couple seconds in the movie.

Yeah it's the US release. BBTS got a restock and I couldn't pass it up.

Also, came up with a few other things I've changed my mind about: Animated and Beast Wars. When I saw the design for Animated, I hated it, but after watching the show it became one of my favorites. When I first saw the toys for BW, one of my first thoughts was that the only TF that should be a T Rex is Grimlock. Apparently I forgot about Overkill. Anyway, again, after watching the show it became one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

When I was a kid, I only had the cartoon to go off of, so I went RIBFIR, but have never had any real trouble accepting other versions, even if they do bug me.

Oh yeah, I hated those designs when I first saw them. I thought they were atrocious, but the show was so good, it won me over and the designs have definitely grown on me, especially since they really suit the fun, goofy feel of the show.

10. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

Being damn near 40 and been watching since 84 its nice to be called a newbie.

11. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    I mean, its a good show for new people to the fandom

12. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

season one .....countdown to extinction

Season two.....day of the machines , City of steel, enter the night bird, auto berserk, Aerial assault

13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I used to absolutely love the live-action movies. I was confused when I saw the first movie for the first time, but enjoyed it nonetheless, especially once I realized it didn't share continuity with the shows. After coming home from watch ROTF in theaters, my mind was blown by all the cool action and awesome Prime or Bumblebee moments. By the time AOE was coming out, I'd watched reviews of the movies by this guy called MrTardisReviews on Youtube, and it opened my eyes to some of the problems with the movies. Repeated viewings drew attention to a lot of the glaring flaws in the movies, and after a period of trying to convince myself AOE was the coolest thing ever, I eventually gave up and conceded that, yeah, the movies have a lot of glaring problems, and I'd be hard pressed to call any of them great, or even really all that good (I do think the first one is decent, and the third one is just okay). However, I still enjoy...parts of them for both nostalgia, and because I have a soft spot for the ridiculous action sequences. Plus I still love the movies' portrayal of Bumblebee, as is evident by my username and avatar.

On the subject of Bumblebee, I used to absolutely despise his design in RID. It didn't make me think of Bumblebee at all, and the overly muscular proportions just irked me. While it's certainly not my favorite design for the character, I have grown to accept it, and see more of the resemblance to the Prime Bumblebee design (though I still don't think they needed to bulk him up with superhero proportions).

14. RADimus prime

And those who have been here the whole time too.... How about leave it at its a good show? LOL maybe there will be some changed minds here today....... Naaaa I'm just busting your chops anyways I'm not pissed or offended

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mr JackatooTM

News Credits:
    k

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  16. RADimus prime

ok just 2 of those

*** actually, think it's better with just one... edited both responses. :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2017
  17. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

A lot of my opinions have changed about Transformers over time.

I used to hate Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime. HATE. I thought he was a terrible leader that whined too much, willing to hand over the Matrix to almost anyone willing to take it from him. In recent years, I look back and see that the things I hated actually became qualities I identified with. The self-doubt and imperfectness was a stark contrast to Optimus Prime, who was the ideal leader. Those aspects, though, made him far more relatable to me, and Rodimus Prime has become one of my top three favorite characters.

I used to hate any non-transforming figure that bore the "Transformer" title. What was the point, if a Transformer didn't transform? Now, while I still don't pick up a lot of non-transforming figures, I own a few. I recognize that the poseability in the figure and the cartoon accurate look of the figure that will be most often displayed in robot mode anyway can sometimes offset my disappointment with a lack of transforming ability.

My feelings toward Parts-formers.... has softened. A bit. I still hate them, generally... wait. I'm wrong. Even as I type this, I recognize I still hate them. So, scratch this one.

Some opinions don't change.

18. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Does this mean you're now "more open-minded"? :lol 

I think it's better to accept that some just disagree.

I saw the cartoons first then went for the toys. Rumble is blue. Didn't care much for Frenzy.

I hope this triggers no one here.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

I used to dislike the cartoon after the 1986 movie. I wished there had been more characters from the first two seasons in the third and fourth seasons. However, as time has gone on I began to see that many of things post-movie were more creative, less formulaic, and more enjoyable than the repetitive first season and first part of the second season. Now I love Galvatron's insanity and the Quintessons sticking their tentacles in everything. I love episodes like "Webworld," "Dark Awakening," Madman's Paradise," "Starscream's Ghost," "Ghost in the Machine," and "Call of the Primitives." I also enjoy how it does feature characters from the first two seasons without focusing too much on them; we still get to see Optimus, Starscream, Soundwave, Swindle, Astrotrain, and others.

There are still characters and episodes I love in the first two seasons like Beachcomber and Starscream, and I actually really like a lot of the goofier Season 2 episodes, but overall I like things post-movie more than pre-movie. Once I looked at Season 3 for what it was trying to be I loved it more than 1984. Funny enough, that extends to other series as well. In the movies I greatly prefer the later robot characters to the ones earlier on in the continuity.

20. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I uses to hate Animated. Now I tolerate it.