Finished my rewatch of Beast Wars and was the finale a little rushed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

I mean, it's obvious Forward and DiTillo had plans for another season that never came to pass because Hasbro decided to make Beast Machines instead. The finale definitely feels like "We have to wrap this up in 2 episodes, let's do it."

But yet, I still love it and I would've loved to have gotten that Season 4 I keep hearing about. (Maybe there's a universe out there where this happened instead of Beast Machines?)

• Like Like x 2
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    It's not only rushed, but helmed by someone who had no knowledge of the show or characters.

I still don't understand the thought process of bringing in Furman for the finale of a show he had nothing to do with.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I remember reading an old interview with him where he stated something along the lines of "people wouldn't care if I killed off a character like Rattrap" or something to that effect. He was clearly unfamiliar with the show and it shows. I like some of Furman's work well enough (he has made an impact on the Transformers fiction rivaled arguably by only Budiansky) but Beast Wars was always something I felt like he never got. I also feel like Nemesis should have been a three part finale ala The Agenda (which is peak Transformers IMO).

• Like Like x 5
  4. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Apparently they were told the show was ending late in Season 3's development, so instead of a cliffhanger they tried wrapping most of the plot? Though I doubt there was much planned afterwards regardless.

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, suddenly everyone’s dropping left & right. And while some of those deaths carried weight like Depth Charge & Rampage, a lot of them felt like it was just culling the herd & wiping the slate for the next show.

Despite that, I still came away satisfied with the ending. It still had a good story & wrapped up BW nicely. Though I do think it undid Dinobot’s sacrifice in Code or Hero a bit. In that story, Dinobot comes to believe that his destiny is his own & not written in stone. But then Nemesis 1 & 2 comes along with its prophecies in the Covenant of Primus & says “Nope. It’s all written here.” Not sure what to think about that & not sure how much is whose fault.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

While still satisfying an ending overall, I would have preferred if Furman hadn't been involved. There's a sudden shift in tone, prophecies and the covenant of primus suddenly is introduced, Furmanisms start appearing and yeah, I would have preferred if Forward and DiTillio had written those final episodes. I have no issue with all the gratuitous deaths, that's a staple of BW season finales. Forward has said they never knew if they were getting renewed each time, so they just wrote the finale stories with everyone getting killed and they'd work out a fix if they had chance to come back. Hence things like Inferno's hardcore vaporisation in Agenda actually just him getting badly, badly wrecked in Optimal Situation. Nemesis does feel like there are elements in the story missing, which is something I find in a lot of Furman's work. His finale's always feel like something needs to be told but hasn't because he ran out of time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Proud Nintendo

I think he asked.... "Who can I kill?"

8. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    In an interview, Furman mentioned that he was brought on to just write an episode or two of Beast Wars. Initially, "Nemesis" wasn't intended to be the series finale; it was just meant to be another couple episodes. Forward and DiTillio found out that they weren't getting another season, and they had to use this story arc to wrap up all of their plot threads. That's probably why it isn't the greatest finale to the series.

I do wonder what the plans for season four of Beast Wars were like, though. All I ever really hear is that it was intended to be "Beast Wars - IINNN SPAAACCCCEE," which isn't a terrible pitch. I think there might have been plans to explore to Swarm or the Cybertronian Empire, both of which were from the Generation 2 comic book written by... Furman.

9. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Vok were envisioned as being the Swarm, so it's possible Season 4 was pitched as exploring the Vok's origins.

Sidenote: It's hard for me to tell what a Furmanism is, anyone recall some obvious ones in the finale?

10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @Insurgent
    From what I’ve noticed, reading Furman’s comics, his stories tend to be plot-driven instead of character driven. Emotional investment is low & characters can easily be switched out, since nothing is dependent upon character motivation.

That’s why, at least for me, it doesn’t matter how big and grandiose his stories get, because I’m never given anyone to get invested in or care about.

11. Proud Nintendo

That was DiTilllo's idea. Bob Forward imagined them as what all life eventually evolve into.

Supposedly I've also heard that G1 Megatron would've tried to take over BW Megatron's body.

12. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I mean I loved it. I found the final four episodes to be plenty of build up to wrap up the Beast Wars part of the "Beast Era". Those four episodes are four of my favorite episodes from Beast Wars/Machines.

13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i find that unlikely as the unfinished scene of primal putting g1 megatrons spark back is 100% canon, i cant see them leaving earth without restoring megatrons spark and season 4 was not supposed to take place on earth if memory serves