Finally bought a MISB G1 figure for the first time in 30 years!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I have no intentions of becoming an MISB collector (nor do I have the money to do so) but it is so cool to have a preserved, sealed piece of Transformers history in my collection. The last MISB G1 figure I bought was Pretender Roadgrabber...which at the time, disappointed me greatly, though I appreciate it more now.

It wasn't for 9 more years (after I was well into college), that I'd fall back in love with Transformers, thanks to the wonderful Beast Wars. So...I was overdue for a MISB G1 guy. :D 

While I love the entire run of G1 with an irrational passion, the "movie and later" figures were really special to me as a kid, particularly the 1987 line that introduced Targetmasters and Headmasters. One of my all time favorites from that era was Pointblank.

You're free to disagree here...but I always thought his car mode was insanely cool, the color scheme was beautiful and eye-catching, he had a bit of Hot Rod's DNA with the flame decals (bonus points there), robot mode was heroic looking (and even somewhat articulated in the arms!) and the color-matched Targetmaster weapon/partner was the icing on the cake. My childhood copy of Pointblank (complete and well played with) is one of the treasures of my collection.

So....When I spotted a fair (not great) deal on a MISB copy...I went for it. It's just amazing to have this thing in my display next to my other vintage G1 treasures. The presentation of G1 figures is just gorgeous. The window box with the stunning artwork still ignites my imagination. There is a good reason why MISB G1 figures are coveted by collectors.

Which MISB/MOSC G1 guys do you have in your collection? Which ones are you looking for? How do you display them?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 13
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    1987 box design was the best TF box design ever IMO, that looks amazballs.

• Like Like x 5
  3. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed, G1 box art is fantastic. Could look at it all day.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yup yup, I have it on my shelf and got it when it first came out. Very nice book, but not 'perfect'.

Personally I would have grouped them all in years, not 'category'. The artwork backgrounds would then reflect the year it was released (ie, '87-'88 would have Digital Sunburst background) and I would have liked it presented with some more supplementary information from the front/back of the boxes ie, tech specs, carded TF instructions, Action Master power plans and whatever else there was.

6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a few boxes from that time period, but none of them are in great shape (Optimus, Kickback, Roadbuster). I never even really considered keeping the boxes nice back then. I usually cut the tech specs and collector points off and tossed the rest.

My personal grail is a sealed Shockwave. I honestly never saw one in the store, and only ever had a Shack-wave as a kid. I have two G1 versions now for bot and alt mode display, but have never gotten one sealed. I'm always either too late for the deal or it's just out of my price range. Either way, this feels like a major hole in my collection that won't be filled anytime soon.

7. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I would like to get G1 Shockwave, actually. But, I'm not looking for one since I would be tempted to open it. I would put him on my desk at work if I had him. It is a secured area.

@Smokescreen38 Are you getting this for you Point Blank collection? He's a character that I didn't know much about, but this looks really nice and forced money out of my wallet.

Maketoys MTRM-06 Contact Shot (Masterpiece Pointblank with Peacemaker)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    Great pick...I hope you find one!!

I think you also hit on reasons why these figures are basically sacred objects to some of us. That idea that you never saw one as a kid probably makes that MISB Shockwave almost magical!

Good points there. If they do another edition, I'll absolutely buy it.

9. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    Haha! The temptation to open it might not be as strong after you pay $500+ for one. :D 
    If you haven't already, check out the unbelievably faithful KOs out there. I'm not sure about the particulars with Shockwave but IIRC, you can get one for ~$50 USD.

Thanks for that link... I have been drooling over Contactshot!! So far, my third party collection is very limited and I've avoided the temptation to go down that road when there are so many G1 figures that I still want in my life...but damn, that's a great looking piece.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    I don't have one yet, but would like one eventually, just to say I have one.

The closest I have is a minty G1 Hun-Gurrr box where the previous owner separated just enough of the bubble from the card back to slide him in and out. It's funny, when I acquired it I thought I was just buying a nice complete set of loose Terrorcons for a reasonable price at a local con. And then the seller says, "oh, and here is some paperwork that goes with it" and hands me the minty Hun-Gurrr box with all the inserts. :eek: 

I keep it in my closet on a shelf where I look at it each day when I pick out my clothes. Sometimes I rotate it to see different sides of it. The art on the back is especially current with Titans Return.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! I never owned Pointblank, but I always wanted him. I love his design. I would love to see him modernized in Titans Return. I've also been tempted by the Maketoys version, even though I don't collect 3P MP figures.

12. Ragnar

Ragnar Fun with G1

Ebay:
    As a huge G1 fan, I don't have any original MISB/MOSC G1 stuff. Official Hasbro and Takara reissues, yes, and even a couple of G2 and BW figures MISB/MOSC, but nothing classic MISB/MOSC G1. I'd like to have one, but not sure which character it would be, and I don't want a KO.

13. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    I'm with you on not wanting a KO...at least not as a MISB item. It might be cool to rip into a box-fresh "Bommander" Grimlock but having that as your display piece misses the point. MISB G1 figures are special because they're relics of another time in addition to being beautiful display pieces.

As for picking which one...it might be a good strategy to keep a list of your top 10 or so and to just keep an eye out for them. Sooner or later, one might pop up on eBay and you might be in the right place at the right time.

Someday, I'd love to have a MISB Smokescreen or Sideswipe but they're currently way outside of my income bracket. :) 

14. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

• Like Like x 2
  15. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that book is fantastic. I agree with tikgnat's points however I've still spent many an enjoyable hour perusing through it. I even learned about toys that I didn't know existed. That book has a prominent place on our living room bookshelf. I'm so grateful for the guys who tracked down all that original artwork to put it together.

• Like Like x 2
  16. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    awesome.

i picked up a MOSC Powerglide at a toy show in 1998 for $15. i started college later that year, discovered ebay, and wanted a MISB figure. the cheapest were Jumpstarters, and i got Topspin for $20, which also had personal meaning for me because one shelfwarmed at my grandpa's country store until i bought him in 1990, and was torn about opening him vs. MISB and finally opened him.

i need to get some clear cases to display them, and get them out of my parents' basement. now that i don't have to move every 2-3 years for my job i won't have to worry about them getting messed up in a move.

i also have some nice MIB figures without or with minimal decals i've picked up in the past two years from cheaper ebay prices: Skywarp (favorite), Thrust (missing weapons bubble), Shrapnel and Canadian Ratchet.

-

17. Teepo

Teepo Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Congrats! Pointblank is my favorite autobot targetmaster and I think has the best box art of all targetmasters (autobot or decepticon). Are you also planning on getting the Maketoys Contactshot?

19. Smokescreen38

News Credits:
    I'm really considering Contact Shot... I look at it regularly on BBTS and TFSource and think about what else in my collection I could unload to buy one! :)