Final Ricochet does have the white nose

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Now I know how scalpers stay in business...

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
  3. Foster

News Credits:
    I read all that before. You want to make excuses, fine. You bid what you bid. I stand by what I said. It's guys like you that keep scalpers scalping.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

But couldn't a comment like that be kept to yourself? You know it's gonna aggrivate RW and it's not particulary gonna make you look good. What were you trying to accomplish?

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    And you my friend couldn't be any FURTHER from the truth...

How is it POSSIBLE that you call a seller that starts his bids at $9.99 for a product that sells at retail for $19.99 a SCALPER??? Please, tell me how you can deduct that reasoning???

Does this mean that EVERY seller in your mind on eBay is a scalper then??? If I went online right now, and started an auction for a product and made the starting bid well UNDER the suggested retail price, that does NOT make me a scalper and quite frankly I'd be VERY INSULTED if someone accused me of being one... If people want to bid up the price, that's up to them... But that wouldn't make me a scalper...

The seller of the Rollbar that I'm winning just posted another auction for a BIN for a Rollbar at $42.99... Is he a scalper now??? YES... He is... By my definition, he's charging way over the suggested retail price without even putting the option of starting from a low bid... And seeing that auction will deter me from EVER buying from him again...

But the difference is there... I bid on the auction where he WASN'T scalping... Would I have known that he was going to scalp on a new auction for the same thing, I would've NEVER bid on the first one... But the chain of events prohibit me from POSSIBLY knowing...

And "excuses"??? No my friend, I don't make excuses... Those were REASONS... Reasons based upon my personal experiences... So please don't insult me by calling them "excuses"...

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya know what I could honestly care less about this, I mean it’s a free country right I’ve never understood why scalping has been so condemned, ya sure its not the most honorable practice one could be engaged in but honestly what’s the big friggin deal? I mean it may not be fair to some people but hey I guess that’s just life now isn’t it.

I also agree with Razerwire, I mean for some of us it sure beats checking every Wal-Mart and Toys R Us in the aria not only because its more expensive to get around these days but some of us just don’t have the time to waist hunting them. Frankly I’d rather spend a couple of extra bucks on scalped TF’s then hunting the damn things down one by one wondering whether or not I’ll even find them in the first place. Not to mention that if people want to pay inflated eBay prices thats their right, especially if these kinds of auctions are started below retail, if it happens to go for more then well thats the marketplace at work.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Insert Clever Title Here

News Credits:
    The nose is...different...but I have better things to do then cry about a half inch of missing paint.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Is that seller a scalper, Yes. As RW pointed out he's now selling Alt Rollbar and Ricochet at prices above MSRP. However your logic is a bit flawed.

While RW did bid on a scalpers auction. That auction started below MSRP. So if someone wins the scalper's auction that starts out ABOVE MSRP then that person is helping to keep a scalper scalping not the person who wins the auction that starts below MSRP.

*deposits 2 cents*

9. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't subscribe to the logic that a person that starts selling an item below MSRP isn't a scalper. A lot of scalpers start their auctions at .99 or even a penny with the hope that it will make people bid up the price. With hot toys like Alts, the bidding usually exceeds MSRP in no time.

But yes, this isn't as bad as the asshats that take a $20 toy and put it on eBay with a Buy It Now of $50. That's just plain greed. Not to mention, you'd have to be really dumb or really desperate to jump on that.

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yes but at the same time, wouldn't that just qualify as regular ebaying procedure??? I mean how could a buyer tell if it's a scalper or not if they start the bidding at a low price??? They can't unless you know for a fact that the seller is a scalper because you've seen/dealt with him/her before... There's a difference between making a profit and scalping... I see regular bidding up of a low priced item as just profit... Setting an insanely high price for an item right off the bat??? Now that's scalping...

11. Foster

News Credits:
    Now the scalper knows he can get over $40 for Alternators, based on your top bid, Razerwire, that *you* placed. I've been caught up in eBay mania before, so I don't blame you, but only for vintage G1 stuff that is unavailable at retail, and has been for years. Stuff currently at (or on it's way to) mass retail doesn't need to be overbid like that. Your choice to buy, and the scalper's choice to sell. But the scalper's going to buy up every Alt he sees at this rate. What about the local fans around that store?

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Let's not forget there's nothing wrong with scalping......

13. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure, if the guy was say selling off his old Armada toys or something. But, how many people have a few extra Ricochets laying around? The guy obviously went to the store, saw they had the new Alts and picked them up, hoping he could make a few bucks off of eBay. MSRP or not, that's scalping in my book. :thumbdown 

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Does he really know he can get over $40 for each Alternator he sells??? The next one he puts up there is the possibility that no one will not buy it... It's basic economics... If the price is too high, people will not buy it... The market sets the price of a good, yes, but there are limitations to that... No one will buy an Alternator that is priced at say, $50 right off the bat... Maybe someone will, and in THAT case, yes, they are making a poor choice because the scalper wins... But it's all choice in the end isn't it???

I for one am willing to bid about $40 on an Alternator for reason that I have stated before... Should I just sit back and wait for it to saturate the shelves??? Sure... But I choose to rather have that said good in my hands as soon as possible... Some people have more patience than others... When it comes to TFs, my patience is very thin...

As for the local fans who have to compete with the scalper??? I have to compete here too... Everyone's gotta compete... I choose to pay someone else to compete for me so I get a better chance of getting what I want to purchase... We got our share of scalpers in the Bay Area here that we all have to compete with... I just choose not to use scalpers to even out the competition...

And if I were to see an Alternator on a shelf that I know people want, I'd buy it and sell it to a friend here locally or come on the boards and offer it at retail price + shipping... Is that so bad??? I'm still offering it to the people who want it... I'm still looking out for my friends and buddies or even the casual board member... Does that make me a scalper???

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    So if I were to go to Target right now, buy Ricochet, and sell it to you for retail price, that would be scalping too???

16. Foster

News Credits:
    o_O 

*realizes P.T. Barnum was right, contemplates career in toy scalping*

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    And what is that supposed to mean exactly??? :peoples: 

18. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. I'd say thank you for helping out a fellow fan. :D 

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Exactly... Which I plan to do if I do win the auctions... I would rather take a loss on them and sell them to people I know at retail cost + shipping than to be labeled as a scalper or one who helps scalpers make a living...

For the scalpers out there, I mean no offense... I just don't believe in the same business ethics as some people do...

20. Pimpimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Razerwire, please don't think that I'm calling you a scalper, because I'm not. I also understand where you're coming from as far as gas prices go and the hunt. It's just the people selling the damn things for profit that I have an issue with... some of which are on this forum. :mad