Final Fantasy XV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ephland, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
  2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

cool. i think i just shat myself.

though what happened to XIV?

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    14 was released and did horribly, than released again and did ok.

The trailer for FF15 gives me some hope that it will play like Xenoblade- with large open environments and deep but action filled combat.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    So how long has this been in production? I hope it is actually good. I was looking forward to this when it was known as FFXIII Vs.

5. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I remember that I made a pic of Noctis with all the swords around him my computer's background at work. I had that job in 2006. It was first shown in 2006 but was probably in production at least in 2005.

6. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Fear and Loathing in Gaia meets Dragon's Dogma?

The visuals look good, but I guess I'm in the minority that thinks this looks too far removed from what I'd consider a Final Fantasy game. I'll stick with the Tactics versions.

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Oh, don't you get me wrong, I would LOVE a menu based combat system where you control your entire party's every move like every FF before 11. I have just totally lost faith in that ever happening. However, I would rather have what this looks like, Xenoblade style, over FF13's combat of controlling one character as fast as possible through menus while hoping your other two characters are doing what you need them to.

8. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Approaching that mark myself. I mean is running around mindlessly mashing buttons what today's RPG gamer really wants?

Honestly, I just wish the part of Square that's in charge of the Dragon Quest series would quit wasting that series' potential with watered down handheld games and bring it back to consoles. I want another DQ VIII dammit.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This game was announced before I moved to CO. I moved to CO on April 18th, 2006. I want to look forward to this game. However, given Square's track record, and the fact that the game has taken so long to come out that it had to be renamed, I will wait for reviews on it.

10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definitely looks more action oriented then RPG. Which isn't a bad thing, but it would be nice if they could also do projects that played like bravely default for the mainstream consoles as well so the traditional rpg players would have something to sink their teeth into alongside this.

11. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    There's nothing wrong with action games, Lord knows I play enough of them. I just know that when I fell in love with the series with part 4 on the SNES (part 2 at the time) it was menu combat, and stayed that way through FF10. They innovated with variations of menu combat, but it was still a small party of characters that you controlled and created strategies with. Final Fantasy 7, arguably the most popular point in the series, may have upped the graphics with FMV and CG backgrounds and 3d characters and overworld, but they still kept the gameplay intact.

I know things change and I will embrace new things and haven't turned my back on the series, but ever since FF11, I don't feel the Final Fantasy games have been spiritual sequels like 1-10, and instead just feel like new games that SE wants to sell more copies by calling it a numbered FF game.

12. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

The game looks great it just seems a lot more like a Xenoblade clone with FF style characters put into it.

I'm still on the fence at this point as I really want to like the game because Versus XIII looked really good (compared to FFXIII at least) but with Lightning Returns, Type-O and now XV all having more action based systems, I'm losing interest.

I wish Square would go the same route as Namco/Bandai with their Tales series. I don't care if the newest game is very similar to the previous one because I know it will be fun and play like a Tales game should. Now we get games that are Final Fantasy in name alone.

SquareEnix: "It's ok guys we'll just throw in chocobos and moogles, that will make it a Final Fantasy game again"

13. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Thinking about it more, using the Final Fantasy moniker has done nothing but hurt potentially good spinoffs. Everyone loves FF Tactics, but if it was called Final Fantasy 8 (since it followed 7) people would have been mad about how different it was. Same goes with 12 and 13. Heck, if 12 was called something else, nobody would have held it to FF10 standards and accepted it and liked it for what it was. We COULD have been playing the 3rd game by now in a new franchise. Also, 13 wouldn't have been held to old standards, and than also wouldn't have ended up with goofily named numeric sequel to a numeric sequel.

Anyways, FF15, which wasn't FF15 originally, looks like it will fall in the same category.

14. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I couldn't hold XII to X standards as I did not play X until 2007, which was well after I played through XII. Yes, XII is a very good game, it just isn't a very good Final Fantasy game. For me, FInal Fantasy stopped being Final Fantasy with IX. Afterwards, we just got interactive movies that used the FF name to sell the product.

And yes, I'm saying that I hate FFX. X was not that good of a game. Blitzball was absolute horseshit and it featured three of the most unlikable, poorly designed characters the series had at that time. Not to mention the voice acting was down right horrendous and wooden. I never want to experience that laughing scene again.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I enjoyed X. It had a great story, characters that I hated at the start but learned to like thanks to all the development, and plenty of gameplay despite all the cinematics. The voice acting was odd, but so was just about every game's voice acting by 2001 that was translated from Japanese. I do agree Blitzball was annoying at best, and I have a certain dislike for it in the way they removed the world map, but it was still a long and involving quest.

As for characters, I don't know why 9 doesn't get more flack. Vivi and Steiner were both good, outside of that they were ok at best. Quina, Freya, and Amarant are 3 of the most forgettable FF characters. I would have to say Qina was probably the worst FF character IMO. Now, that's not to say the characters weren't effective in combat, but I cared more about their design and backstory. That's also not to say I didn't like 9- the combat, visuals, and music were excellent and yeah, it was the last completely traditional FF game.

16. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The difference is, Quina, Freya, and Amarant were not the main focus of the story while Tidus, Wakka, and Yuna were. FFVI had a ton of characters, but truly, only Terra, Celes, Sabin, and Edgar were the important ones to the story. FFVII's important characters were Cloud, Tifa, and Barret.

17. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

VS
    [​IMG]

XV
    [​IMG]

VS
    [​IMG]

XV
    [​IMG]

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well, FF6 did give a lot of character development to Locke, Cyan, Shadow and Setzer as well.

That being said, I think the best story's are those where the character grows or changes by the end. Despite a lot of hate for FF8, Squall goes from an introvert who won't open up or trust anyone to becoming a good leader, trusting his friends, and being able love someone. It was good character growth. Titus was a character that had some of the most growth I've seen in the FF series. He starts immature with Daddy issues but with a sunny, "I'm popular" disposition and once he gets to Spira, he just wants to get home. By the end of FFX, Tidus has matured and accepted that he's not going to ever see his home again and fights through his Daddy issues. Waka and Yuna both had good development around how they completely trusted and followed the the teachings of Yevon, but eventually realize there is more important things than blindly following a religion. Also, by the time Auron comes around, who is a great character, he pretty much becomes the leader of the group. Everyone else in the game also goes through great development.

Aaaanyways, that was just me nerding out. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just trying to show you that it might not be as bad as what you remember.

19. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Demo @ 22 Minute Mark

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Why can't they make games like the old ones, but with better graphics? I think 6 is the best because you have unique characters that learn unique skill sets, yet maintain the same ability to grow in magic because it is a plot point. This looks like a group of Japanese mannequins dancing around with swords.