Final Fantasy Pixel remasters

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DrTraveler, Jun 30, 2021.

1. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn’t see a thread for this, so I wanted to start one.

Coming July 28th FFI, FFII, and FFIII are being released, with FFIV, FFV, and FFVI coming later.

Anyone buying these? I have strong opinions on this one, and those opinions are not about the fact they’re mobile and steam only.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not got a stake in this personally as i'm not a JRPG guy, but it never ceases to amaze me how utterly crap SE is at maintaining some of the most important and evergreen parts of it's back catalogue.

3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm in the very likely category since I use Steam. I'm waiting to see details like pricing and extras since Summer's not usually a time that I buy new games during. Hopefully more information comes quick since the first batch are releasing so soon. I'm mainly an Dragon Quest fan, but had some experience with the 2D era Final Fantasy games, mainly IV when it was packaged with Chrono Trigger during the PS1 era, and a little with I and VI with their versions on the NES/SNES Classic consoles, though haven't had the time to play those much.
    Because of that experience, I guess I have the most nostalgia for IV between playing it then, remembering some of the coverage it got in Nintendo Power back when it was FFII to NA markets, and this song. (spoilers for IV's story)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  4. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The prices are up on steam for I, II, and III. You can preorder them and the whole bundle of I to VI. FFI and FFII are $12 ($10 if you preorder) and FFIII is $15 ($12 with preorder).

5. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks! I didn't think to look for preorders on Steam today.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Hmm. I'll probably only get IV and VI. Never cared for the rest of the early pixel games. V is okay, but I'm not a fan of it's job system and how slow it is to level. I Hate II's whole "unique" leveling system and III honestly never interested me, to begin with. The original game is a classic, but I really don't feel like it has a lot of replay value since I'm mostly there for the story and I's story is very non-linear and kind of boring impo.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They look terrible.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

9. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It’s not the only weird and bad decision they’ve made with this.

They’re delisting the other iOS ports for FFI, FFII, FFV, and FFVI, signaling those games won’t be getting future support. Which if you’re not familiar with how iOS works, it means the games are on a clock and will outright die soon. That’s really frustrating for folks like me that actually bought all those damn apps.

It also appears that these games are cutting the bonus content that’s been added down the line. That really sucks for FFI in particular. That’s a pretty short game by modern standards and the iOS version has a hell of a lot of bonus content to increase the value.

Screen shots also seem to indicate that a lot of quality of life upgrades are gone too. It appears FFI and FFIII are back to the old magic system and have ditched MP. If FFI has also lost Phoenix downs then that game is going to suck to play.

In addition the cost to buy has gone up. The original iOS apps for FFI and FFII were $7.99 and had MORE CONTENT. On sale, we’re paying $9.99 for a prettier remake that has less content.

I’m going to be honest, I will probably buy this because I do replay these on my phone about once a year. But it’s not by choice, it’s because with the original apps being delisted I feel coerced into buying a more expensive, less player friendly version with less content.

I wish I loved FFI to FFVI less so I could quit them.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yep we are discontinuing the game so you have to buy them again bullcrap. Or the even worse discontinuing and you will never be able to play it again. This is why mobile gaming sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’m almost exclusive mobile gaming as it’s convenient and easy, but yeah, this sucks. Square is a pretty bad offender too. Right now FFIX, a premium priced app on iOS is broken and can’t load or play.

I know part of this is on the iOS system, as updates to it routinely break things. But if you’re a AAA publisher pushing premium price point releases you need to maintain your crap.

Like I said, I’ll buy these as the first six Final Fantasy games are pretty important to me, but this all feels pretty crappy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only one I am considering is 3, and only because the 3D version is awful.

13. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    They just need to put this out as a physical disc on the PS4.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, FFIII seems like a good purchase. But the 3D port also has bonus content and quality of life improvements I’d be hesitant to lose. The Level 100 job weapons aren’t in the original, iirc.

FFIII also has two big open questions I’d want answered before I bought it: does it rollback the story additions that added some character to the party? And does it keep the class rebalancing that the 3D version made?

If it does keep the rebalance, that’s a big strike against it. That actually made the last dungeon even harder. I’d be ok with losing the story additions.

15. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    THAT's what they look like? Guess there's always emulation.

16. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some updates.
    ファイナルファンタジー ピクセルリマスター | SQUARE ENIX

The translation is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFanta..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

It’s… not good news. All the bonus content is out. Rebalancing is happening.

I was going to buy FFI-III on day one, but won’t unless there’s a day one discount with this news. Remakes of FF have had a lot of quality of life improvements that sound like they were rolled back. And FFII feels incomplete without soul of rebirth. I’d also add FFI is stupidly short for that price without the bonus content.

I am particularly concerned for FFII. It’s arguably the worst of the series. Remakes improved it some by implementing periodic automatic HP increases, as well as removing debuffs you could get when having a character grow in a well rounded way (physical growth debuffs magical growth and vice versa). The remakes also removed the cancel glitch, which made FFII harder but was balanced out by the other improvements.

If FFII doesn’t have the cancel glitch and removed the quality of life stuff, that game is going to be miserable to play.

18. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If these come to Switch I'll be happy to buy them just to have the whole 2D run in a consistent style and format, though it really seems dumb to be removing the QoL and extra features from other re-releases (the 3D remakes aside).

Though I'd definitely be waiting for a sale, which is thankfully pretty common for Square on Switch.

19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    FFII is the worst? I thought it was better than half of the series. It's story was really good and you could easily break the system by making yourself practically invincible very early on by grinding with two shields attached to your character, increasing their defense every time you "attack."

20. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everyone has a worst FF game. This is mine. It is also almost always near the bottom of most ranking lists I’ve seen.

I might be more forgiving of it had I played it before Final Fantasy Legends, which does a lot of what FFII does with the leveling system better. FFII is a prototype for the Saga series, and as such there’s a lot still to work out on it that the Saga games fix.

• Like Like x 1