file conversion between dvd's and computer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Sep 15, 2011.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    alright, I've got two questions/how-to requests for watching digital files.

1. I've got lots of transformers dvds. how can I rip them to my computer in such a way that breaks them up by episode so I can watch them on my zune/ipod-style device?

2. I've also got lots of .avi/.mp4 videos, mostly fan-subbed cartoons. since I have compatibility problems with my ps3 with like half of them, how can I compile them into a regular dvd so that I could just stick the disc into any dvd player?

I feel like it's pretty easy to do, but every website I look at ends up being tied to something trying to get me to buy their software. I don't mind if I would have to buy something, I just want to do this the easiest, drag-and-drop way.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    To Rip the DVD's:

dvdshrink.org: FREE Backup Solution for your DVD movies!

DVD shrink will allow you to rip them (compressed or uncompressed)

To sort them out and convert individual episodes:

HandBrake

Handbrake allows you to individually queue up the titles of a ripped DVD and encode to either MKV or MP4. There are several (mainly Apple product) presets for size and compatibility.

To turn files into DVDs (no menus or features):

DVD Flick

DVD flick is simplicity itself: add files until time limit of DVD reached; and press go. It even burns it for you :p 

THESE APPLICATIONS ARE ALL FREE TOO :D 

Proceedure for rip and convert (that I use)

Use DVD Shrink to rip DVD as a named folder, Video_TS and Audio_TS being created subdirectories by the application. Select no compression for best results.

Once ripped, open Handbrake and select 'Open Folder' and select your ripped DVD folder. You can then use the drop down box to select and queue up the episodes to encode.

Select preset or create your own, press encode. Done, have a coffee :p 

NOTE: Sometimes a DVD in DVD Shrink will return an error 'Cyclic Redundancy Check', at this point it will be useless to try and rip the disc.

Also, some TV show DVDs (my copy of Teknoman did this) simple lumps all episodes as a single large title, making encoding pointless unless you want to edit them manually.

If any of the sites give you grief or seem suspect, let me know, I have the setup files for all these applications saved and will gladly email them or upload them to MegaUpload or something for you :) 

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ooh, thanks! I'm still kind of surprised that it takes 3 programs to do all of this. although, considering that it's actually asking a lot, I guess I can't be picky. thanks for the step-by-step, I'm gonna give it a try next week and see how it goes.