Figures you Wanted but Passed on Getting.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, May 9, 2021.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    Well looks like after a weeklong mental argument I'm NOT Getting Titan Class Omega Supreme this month since my mind is refusing to let me spend almost $195 on a large figure.

No matter how I work it out even with the budget handling it well I can't bring myself to press the order button after looking at the total of that figure and feels like I'm going to pass on getting Omega Supreme and that frees up a bit of my budget for this month and while I can relax mentally without having the mental argument over this it's getting to where it is very hard to justify spending a lot of money on a figure if it's over $100.

This means I can focus on getting Commander Class Sky lynx instead of Omega Supreme and while my last few posts have been inquiries about Sky Lynx and Titan Class figures finding comparing the two I'm more likely to buy Sky Lynx instead of a very large and very expensive figure.

Shuttle03agd.jpg

Currently in the midst of cleaning out and the more I'm getting rid of the less I want to get now and that's playing a major factor in this decision to not get Omega Supreme.

Not sure if anyone else has dealt with that something you were excited and a little hyped to get then after thinking more on it decided you didn't really want to get even if it's a very cool figure.

I can't be the only one that deals with the mind that goes back and fourth over wanting to get something that fits within your budget but the price of it makes you as "Do you really want to spend that much money on a Toy?"

I may pass on getting the Titan Ark that I've got on Pre-Order and cancel that just stick with Galvatron being the last remaining Transformer on Pre-Order but this is maddening to me folks to think about getting Titans but the price in the end triggers a mental block on getting it because the mind won't let one spend that much because it's too much in my view for a toy that will sit there and not be handled that much.

Paying $80 for Sky Lynx sounds a lot better to me than $195 for Omega Supreme

Plus I've got a good feeling that I would handle Sky Lynx more than Omega Supreme and he won't be a dust magnet.

SkyLynx03ag.jpg

Sky Lynx's fun factor won out with this mental debate I had between getting Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme so at least I'm happy that rational thinking is keeping me from blowing a lot of money on a huge toy -plus I'm not sure where I'm going to display Omega the more I look around here even after getting rid of things kinda unsure where to park that one.

What figures have you passed on getting that you wanted but in the end didn't get?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JSpaced10

JSpaced10 Not Predacon: PREDAKING!

Twitter:
    Literally in the last 12 hours, I had Netflix Bumblebee in the cart at Kapow and then decided no. Instead I’ve spent the same money on nearly the entire collection of Transformers Prime on DVD, including two specials that come with toys.
    I regret not grabbing Bee, but I think I’ll enjoy the DVDs more.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tr arcee, i was this close on ordering tr arcee but i remember a certain website said that arcee was showing up at retail so i decided to wait... Then toys r us closed down and the after market skyrocketed for her
    Another one is t30 scoop, hes still easy to get but for some reason i keep pushing him aside

• Like Like x 2
  4. Beauman

Beauman Banned

Very much related to your issue I have been deliberating with myself whether to buy ER Sky Lynx and Fanshobby Double Evil and decided against both.
    Both look like amazing figures, but the G1 versions I have each do something important to me that the new versions don't.

Omega Supreme was actually the deciding factor in both decisions.
    WFC Omega is too large for my collection, so I won't be replacing my G1 version. I made the same decisions with my G1 Metroplex and Trypticon and so, most of my citybots/large bots are G1.
    This made me feel that it would be annoying to me to have Sky Lynx and Overlord in a different aesthetic + it's a lot of money saved.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

First I totally agree with SkyLynx having a better “fun factor”. Great toy and interactivity. But I’d also say Omega Supreme would win the fun factor over the Titan ark. My Omega is set up with deluxes, micro masters and legends scale figures. Like SkyLynx it has multiple handleable parts. So if going with a Titan then OS is the less dust collecting guy in my opinion.

The figures I struggled with were the high $ figures in the Unicron Trilogy. I wanted to pick up Unicron and Primus but as a student back then, those were just not able to be justified. Knowing the aftermarket now though..I should have but yup still currently a pipe dream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Another Kup passed up, seen once and vanished into the ether.
    I knew I should've got my boyfriend that Mindwipe.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Back in the day, I used to mainly collect Star Wars and Spawn. This was in the early 90's. Both were quite in demand, and if you saw a figure at retail that you wanted, you bought it. There was barely an internet to search to find stuff, and once a figure was gone from retail it was generally gone. I learned this the hard way on more than one occasion, and the lesson has stuck with me ever since.

Now, if I see a figure I want at retail I buy it. No questions asked. The immediate monetary output is guaranteed to be a lot less than the aftermarket if the figure is desirable whatsoever.

This goes for exclusives as well. Oftentimes I will see people say they'll wait for deals or clearance, but how many times does that pan out? Heck, the Siege Seeker two-pack was on Amazon for quite a while and I saw people saying they'd wait. Now look at the set, sold out everywhere and massive on the secondary market. Same with the Coneheads. Basically, you snooze you lose. Big time.

So, as for the topic at hand:
    I wasn't really collecting during the A/E/C time period, but I remember seeing Primus at Walmart for $15. They had loads of them on clearance, and while I thought it looked interesting, I really had no interest. Fast forward a few years and the inventory dried up and it was very hard to get when I decided I actually wanted one. I only paid $20, but still...

• Like Like x 4
  8. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP-01.
    vCNA0Ysh.jpg

Found it years ago at a shop in the mall for like $25-$30, but I needed to buy something else there that I needed so I had to pass it up (worse part is I don't remember what it was).
    Although it may have been a blessing in disguise since even my dad pointed out with how heavy it is and whatnot there would have probably been a 40% chance I would have broke it at my age back then.
    If I could find it again for that price I'd take it in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 4
  9. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me the few times this sort of thing came up was when I would see a LOT of a particular to, hesitate ("maybe next time") and poof, it disappeared.

Twin Twist was probably the most frustrating one. I eventually got him at around double his original 15$ price tag (but he shipping made it "triple").

But as I do remember a few like that, BUT I also don't remember what they were so they can't have been that important.

But as I keep saying, due to everyone becoming "collectors", the demand and prices have skyrocketed for what once would have been fleamarket fodder, so it's really a case of if you truly want something, get it otherwise it will/may get into a price range that's outside of your budget (at least until you can be more financially stable, or never will be able to justify the prices).

In the end, many forget that these are toys and are for enjoyment and fun, but if the hobby is causing stress, regrettably it's something to consider.

If you have zero connection to the figures/characters, you might consider the "why" you want it. Because it's flashy and such, most people will end up bored with it.

I love my Omega, but just like my Devastator, a part of me wished that I would have been more in the 3rd parties version as I might have gone that way instead as some look better, appear to be better designed, etc. but I refrain from double-dipping for such figures. I did get the Jin Bao Bruticus and have been extremely impressed by it as while the CW version is ok, it lacked a lot of things, #1 was blast-off being a plane and the shuttle version being a pain to get (to the point where price wise,the difference between getting one and the complete JB Bruticus was not that different).

Just consider that if money is tight, that maybe there's more important things to deal with.

As things could change, down the line you could regret not getting them now and prices shot up, Hasbro could re-release them again, new versions could be made, prices could drop, etc. But if you're stressing over a toy, I'd worry about it.

Took me something like 10 years to buy one that was key to my collection because I didn't/couldn't warrant spending another 100$+ on that part of the collection until last month. Luckily it was one that was stable (ish) in price and went with one that was used but almost like new (one chip of paint)... but I did maintain some vigilance on this figure's pricing throughout the years.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually wanted Titan Omega and Commander Sky Lynx as well. As my available display is limited, I decided that I just didn’t have room for them and passed on them.

I’m also passing on any official Masterpiece figures from now on. Plenty of people got stuck with defective Masterpiece Hound figures...and unless Takara provides some form of compensation for all of us, I’m done with MPs. So far, I’ve passed on MP Arcee, Skids and Starscream.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dremen_Solo

Dremen_Solo Well-Known Member

Generations Waspinator is the one I lament nowadays. I really liked that figure and kept passing on it for whatever reason. I know there's a new one coming out soon, I just hope its as nice as the Generations one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Twitter:
    I stopped bothering with Masterpiece figures, feels like after I sold off what I had and kept MP Prime and Soundwave that line lost my interest sure there were a few I wanted like Star Saber but I have no connection to that figure and like Omega Supreme he was too expensive to justify the purchase.

Ah how I remember these days pretty well! In the 90's I was a Star Wars collector and POTF was great and feels like I miss those days where you could go to Flea Markets and find figures at amazing deals and plus it was more fun to go out to the stores since you never knew what you could find was such a great time to go out shopping now all you do is check for DCPI's online and see what store has it in stock and it's like with the Internet as it is now has made the retail hunt boring plus nothing being stocked lately just means one has to buy it online.

I loved the Armada/Energon/Cybertron Toylines and remember scooping up so much of Cybertron and Energon on Clearance I LOVED those 2 Packs that used to be sold dirt cheap and Primus and Supreme Class Starscream were great to pick up when they went on clearance.

A Post like this reminds me just how long I've been collecting.

Almost 30 years.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    At this point that list is far too long. The ones I really regret though Animated Blurr(well a good chunk of Animated actually), EX Generations Waspinator(actually any Waspinator really), and Legends or TR Triggerhappy. TR Triggerhappy I still kick myself over. HTS had him for $6 or so in the ebay store and yet I still didn't pull the trigger.

None of the instances I mentioned were financially based either. Had the money but at least with Ex Waspy it was just a case of I had spent to much in a small period I just held off for too long.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

Any of the Titans Return Powermaster Prime sets, especially the updated LG-EX pack with Godbomber and all the chrome.

Very very nearly clicked the buy button multiple times over the course of about two weeks but in the end I passed. I realised when I look at it properly, I really don't care for the bonus titan masters, Godbomber's transformation into backpack mode is way too convoluted and it still bugs me that the retooled Prime's cab doesn't transform into its own robot. Just not worth $150+.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Unicron. I AGONIZED over that one, but my health hadn’t been great, and I figured I’d need that money if my kidneys finally tapped out.

Well, people are getting their Unicrons, and I’m starting dialysis next week, so...guess I made the right call.

• Like Like x 5
  16. sikkusushotto

sikkusushotto Well-Known Member

Wow yeah that is definitely the right call.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I can relate to the OP. I couldn't bring myself to spend €150 on Earthrise Scorponok. Fortunately the collectible shop I visit in Dublin take in used figures and will give you store credit so I used that to get him.

As for Omega Supreme, I still have €60 on a voucher we got at work for Christmas so that'll knock him down to a justifiable €100.

There are so many figures in the last few years I've passed up on because they're exclusives. I hope to get most of them over time but there still a lot coming out at retail so I'm giving those priority.

That said if I ever see a reasonably priced TR Twintwist or Siege Skywarp online, they're as good as bought.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Paneltron

Paneltron “Cover your receptors, Perceptor.”

News Credits:
    Maybe Mindwipe made you think otherwise

• Like Like x 2
  19. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    *shakes fist impotently at Mindwipe*

• Like Like x 2
  20. Megatron Unicronus

Megatron Unicronus Needs LEGO Optimus

News Credits:
    Having owned both Omega and Lynx, Omega is way better. He’s fun to transform, has no / almost no kibble, and has good articulation. Sky Lynx is a terrible turd that is anything but magnificent. He is very floppy, especially in the wings. He’s not fun to pose at all, (yes I am aware of omega’s ratchets, but they’re satisfying) He isn’t fun to transform, and the base mode flaps always want to flap off. Go buy Jetfire or Omega instead, they’re better than this disgrace to the character. If you want a Sky Lynx, get the Combiner Wars version.