Figures you only bought because of thread hype?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Teletran-1, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any figures you didn’t expect to buy, but got sucked into the hype? How’d it turn out?

I wouldn’t own a DX9 Gabriel if it wasn’t for the thread talking about the discount at BBTS. I don’t think I ever would have sought it out but with all the high praise and low price, it sold me. I’m super glad I got convinced though!

Also the little legends blaster when I realized he could fit in scale with masterpieces

632EF80E-937B-49CD-88E9-4FB6F95255BC.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  2. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

The Newage threads and the show off your 3p legends are the sole reason I started going down the legends rabbit hole and it helped me figure out a lot of what I didn't like about my collection. Now I'm all in on legends.

• Like Like x 4
  3. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    Gigapower swoop just to complete the set. He's a great figure but I'm just not as attached to the character.

Buster Skywing because I'm a sucker for jetfire.

IF cygnus( jetfire)- same reason as above but a great figure overall. I'm still gonna sell it though.

Ft phoenix-same ...u know what I'm starting to notice a trend here. ft phoenix looks awesome in bot mode but that waist swivel is frustrating. I'll be selling it as well.

IT emperor of destruction-because he's a better version of mp megatron. I cant stand his alt mode though.

IF soul reaper because he is the only 3p sky shadow

Striker manus ko-because who doesnt like striker manus.

4. Junkmech

Junkmech Mouthplate Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well... Everything by FansToys.
    I've bought and subsequently sold a large number of their figures - Phoenix, Dracula, Quietus, Sovereign M... Always because of hype from board members.
    However, I've learned I simply don't get any sort of enjoyment from their releases, and probably never really have. They generally just aren't fun to handle, and I have exactly 0 love for the G1 cartoon that they so slavishly tribute.

• Like Like x 2
  5. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    the only one i bought because of the massive thread hype was tfc hercules that thread was insane at the time , it wasn't long after i had started collecting transformers again and there were only a few masterpiece figures and well i was just excited to be part of the fandom

• Like Like x 1
  6. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    None... I never let myself be influenced by what others say or feel. I can take advise and look at pictures other members post, but ultimately, the decision is mine alone.

7. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

Legendary Toys KO MPM-4 - Saw everyone saying how much an improvement it would be over the official. Hip joints haven't held up that well but he's able to wear the Iron Warrior Jetfire kit so its okay.

IT-01 Megatron - Wanted a Megs to pair with TE-01. By far the best match aesthetic-wise over MP-44. Epitome of G1 in those 2 for me.

KO Striker Manus/Noir & MT Premium - Loved MT Buster Stealthwing's look. Combination gimmicks are my thing. Bought the KO's even after the hype became warnings. Rarely combine them because they're fun by themselves.

Newage Legends - I got MFT's seekers & coneheads for $60. Value for price imo. Praise for Megatron was unreal, somebody said "Figure of the Year". So I had to see what it was about. I have 7 new NA figures now lol.

FansToys Roadking - Hated FT's transformations, average articulation. Wouldn't transform him, but saw the hype on articulation and sculpt. Exudes so much character.

3A DLX Bumblebee - Never bought a non-transforming figure. Pictures of the sculpt, detail, and articulation had so much realism though. All in on this line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back in the day I bought MMC's Hexatron v.1 due to the hype. Only opened to box to pack in the Dazzling Glory set (chrome helmet & guns) along with an unused sheet of Hexatron Reprolabels inside with the fig. Wound up finally selling him recently.

9. Laserpants

Laserpants Well-Known Member

Legends figures, I’m jumping off the bite-sized hype train. The engineering is often a marvel for the size, but Chug feels better to hold and transform. Legends is good for seeker collecting though, no way I’d have room for 1 1/2 rainbow of them if they weren’t by Iron Factory and New Age. Plus there -is- something satisfying about owning a metric ****ton of tiny, colourful planes.

10. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Diaclone ko's.
    They look kinda cool and their articulation is great. But in the end their uniformity and lack of added play value mean they don't have much value to me.

11. Mick h

Mick h Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fanstoys roadking......... still havent opened him yet but will LOL

12. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Maybe some legends. Seeing pictures by others made me really appreaciate those and eventually I bought several. I still like Legends and have/want a dedicated Legends collection, but went in with the wrong approach. I just went and bought certain figures because they looked amazing and got good reviews, without have decided what I want from a Legends collection.

But other than those, no. I've decided years ago that I want my collection to not grow beyond a certain size (and preferably shrink), so I'm not one to jump on hype trains and buy. Great thing is that I keep up to date with what is coming and thus have months to decide if I'm interested or not.

13. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    UT-R03 Dragoon. I was (and still am) of the opinion that he's just not bulky enough. I even went so far as to purchase a battle damaged Rendsora after Dragoon finally released as I prefer the styling (even if it's not nearly as impressive a figure). But seeing the various photos, reading the discussion, and generally following along with the opinion of him pushed me over the edge. Took delivery about 2 weeks ago, though sadly I've not yet had a chance to get him up on display (lack of room).

On the flip side, thread musings almost put me off JX-MB-01 Winged Dragon. While the photos have almost always been impressive, and the figure itself seems absolutely glorious, the horror stories are just too common. But I'm cautiously, if not foolishly optimistic - have a V2 arriving next week. I'm hoping that if I can "crack" the joints without breaking anything, I should be good there-after.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Man, I need to get that Gabriel.

• Like Like x 2
  15. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MMC Tarn -- I don't even know this character since I didn't read the comic. Bought because everyone said how good it was... In my opinion, it's just ok.

TFEVO hot rod -- I never like the movie 5 Hot Rod, but since (again) lots of people said DX9 Hot Rod how good it was, so I bought it ... only this time I bought the wrong one because I didn't even know there was another company also made movie Hot Rod, and an inferior one. :confused: 

16. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FT Sheridan. I was happy with Wardog but everybody in the Sheridan thread was so excited, I kinda got swept up in it and fell in love with the pics that were coming out. Got him and don't regret it at all - I still like Wardog but I like Sheridan so much more.

Hm, you mean like never ever? I doubt that. Pretty sure all of us are susceptible to others' words and feelings to some extent. If you think you're not, it probably just means you're not aware of it when it happens.

Do it! It's a great figure and that BBTS price is phenomenal. Hype hype hype!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Razzadazza

Razzadazza Well-Known Member

Fanstoys Hydra - have no idea who the character is, not seen any of the cartoons or read any comics with him in. After reading through the thread, decided to bite the bullet, knowing that if I didn’t and decided I did want him later on, there’d be no chance. Glad I did, the quality is amazing and he looks great posed with either TT Magnus, any MP Megatron or any MP Galvatron.

Fanshobby Double Evil - Read up on the phase sixers after getting Hydra, everyone on the Double evil boards were losing their minds over how good he was, so I grabbed one. Kinda regret this one. IMO he doesn’t feel premium and my copy is floppy and horrible to pose.

There’s probably more, but those are the two bigger purchases that come to mind

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

Everyone's out here talking about expensive third-party pieces, but for me it is Siege Optimus Prime. I really was not interested during his reveal due to the arm kibble, massive backpack, and ugly deco (especially compared to the perfect SS-38 Optimus that came out around the same time), but everyone gushing praise about him (and a sale price) convinced me to pick him up. I still feel like a sucker for buying him now that Earthrise Prime exists; he is pretty good though.

MP-10 too. My most expensive single figure to date even with a discount. Everyone on TFW2005 said he was the perfect Optimus Prime, the best Masterpiece, and the best Transformers toy in the year he came out. I do not think they were wrong.

19. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Siege Spinister. I don't collect CHUG or much non-MP stuff, period. But I had the original Hasbro Spinister as a kid and the Siege one is surprisingly good for what it is.

20. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aw man, these are 2 figures I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need right now, mostly cause of shelf space